Author Topic: Wandering Off Topic  (Read 1464903 times)

Offline Eleanor

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #4770 on: January 08, 2019, 09:02:00 AM »
As I understand it, Portuguese law doesn't allow cameras to be placed where they might pick up members of the public.

I thought that was true, and I did read it somewhere.

Offline jassi

« Reply #4771 on: January 08, 2019, 09:04:09 AM »
BTW, while you were watching Colin Sutton on ITV there was a truly brilliant drama on C4 entitled “An Uncivil War” - catch it if you can.

Haven't seen it yet, but the Guardian critic doesn't rate it - though not sure if that's the acting or the content
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jan/07/brexit-the-uncivil-war-review-superficial-irresponsible-tv-cumberbatch

The Independent rates it higher -
 https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/brexit-uncivil-war-review-benedict-cumberbatch-hbo-channel-4-dominic-cummings-vote-leave-remain-a8700286.html
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 09:41:47 AM by jassi »
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4772 on: January 08, 2019, 09:04:34 AM »
I thought that was true, and I did read it somewhere.

Apparently France has the same attitude to CCTV.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #4773 on: January 08, 2019, 09:06:22 AM »
Apparently France has the same attitude to CCTV.

Really?  Although I must say that I have never seen one.

Except on Motorways catching Speeders.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4774 on: January 08, 2019, 09:20:22 AM »
Really?  Although I must say that I have never seen one.

Except on Motorways catching Speeders.

I think ATM's have them, but otherwise it's private property only. That means you can train a camera onto your front door or garden, but not onto the street outside your house.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #4775 on: January 08, 2019, 09:26:00 AM »
I think ATM's have them, but otherwise it's private property only. That means you can train a camera onto your front door or garden, but not onto the street outside your house.

No one does a lot of robbing around here.  But I suppose the time might come.

But in principal, I don't have a problem with CCTV.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #4776 on: January 08, 2019, 10:07:59 AM »
Estrela is fully secure with a 24hr reception & CCTV so not at all like MW site.
Perhaps you would address the point in my post as to why no-one apparently noticed the CCTV & management failed to offer the tapes to the police immediately just in case there was something relevant on them.

Not sure why you are addressing the question to me. I think writing to the appropriate employees might be more productive.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4777 on: January 08, 2019, 10:14:08 AM »
No one does a lot of robbing around here.  But I suppose the time might come.

But in principal, I don't have a problem with CCTV.

I don't have a problem with it because I don't do anything wrong and it can do good. I expect those countries who have rejected it have reasons for doing so, however.
Result = happy posting.

Offline jassi

« Reply #4778 on: January 08, 2019, 10:29:01 AM »
I suppose it will be to do with rights of the individual  and not wishing to introduce unnecessary surveillance into their society.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #4779 on: January 08, 2019, 10:30:54 AM »

We don't actually need CCTV in this village.  Everyone sees everything.  Due to the boring rural lives we all lead.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #4780 on: January 08, 2019, 01:43:10 PM »
I suppose it will be to do with rights of the individual  and not wishing to introduce unnecessary surveillance into their society.

I was converted on viewing the CCTV coverage of the two older children leading James Bulger from the shopping precinct to the place where they murdered him.

Until that time few people would have credited two young boys with such a crime.

I think CCTV probably saved lots of investigative time and deployment of personnel looking for an adult perpetrator because who would have given immediate thought to children.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #4781 on: January 08, 2019, 06:10:45 PM »
Haven't seen it yet, but the Guardian critic doesn't rate it - though not sure if that's the acting or the content
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jan/07/brexit-the-uncivil-war-review-superficial-irresponsible-tv-cumberbatch

The Independent rates it higher -
 https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/brexit-uncivil-war-review-benedict-cumberbatch-hbo-channel-4-dominic-cummings-vote-leave-remain-a8700286.html
I don’t rate the Guardian, bunch of po-faced holier-than-thous.  The Times gave it four stars but best make your own mind up about it. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #4782 on: January 08, 2019, 08:54:41 PM »
We don't actually need CCTV in this village.  Everyone sees everything.  Due to the boring rural lives we all lead.

You are better out from the rat race (big city)Eleanor... It just aint pretty.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #4783 on: January 08, 2019, 08:57:43 PM »
I was converted on viewing the CCTV coverage of the two older children leading James Bulger from the shopping precinct to the place where they murdered him.

Until that time few people would have credited two young boys with such a crime.

I think CCTV probably saved lots of investigative time and deployment of personnel looking for an adult perpetrator because who would have given immediate thought to children.

Oh I don't believe I am agreeing with you... but I do concur with those sentiments. I cried watching that cctv it just pierced my heart.

In Scotland all pubs must have CCTV cameras at the door , even if they have 'security'.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline John

« Reply #4784 on: January 09, 2019, 12:08:35 PM »
When you saw how the NOTW’s threat to publish information about the investigation before the suspect’s arrest could have skewed the whole investigation you can see what the PJ were up against with half the world’s media camped on their doorstep, looking for copy.

I found that particularly interesting given the demise of that Murdoch rag and some who worked at it. The Press have always had far too much power to influence events in this country with the current Brexit debacle being a current example.

The fact that the Met couldn't stop the News of the World from printing a story concerning a live murder enquiry is worrying.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 12:11:01 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.