Author Topic: Has disgraced former cop Gonçalo Amaral appealed his conviction?  (Read 40585 times)

Offline faithlilly

Re: Has disgraced former cop Gonçalo Amaral appealed his conviction?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2013, 12:35:21 PM »
If Cipriano has been proven to have lied then the whole of her testimony, up to and including her claims of torture, is discredited and gives Amaral excellent grounds for appeal.

Can you imagine in this country a conviction standing when the very foundation of that conviction ie the accuser's testimony, has been show to be a tissue of lies ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2013, 12:36:53 PM »

Goncalo Amaral was convicted on Written Evidence, signed by him.  He can't talk his way out of that one.

Explain further please ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2013, 12:40:56 PM »

Goncalo Amaral was convicted on Written Evidence, signed by him.  He can't talk his way out of that one.

Explain further please ?

It was a written statement by Amaral, and presented to The Court.

Offline insider

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2013, 12:48:17 PM »

It's also riddled with inaccuracies - or if you were less charitable - lies.

I know that all of these "discrepancies" are excused by McCann supporters as:
a) minor and irrelevant and
b) perfectly understandable after so much time

...but KM herself goes into great depth in her book explaining how much she spent (£100K or so) and how much time she spent going through the police files in microscopic detail. Therefore she should have been accurate to the files. Unless, of course, the initial statements to the police were inaccurate, of course.

She says she was always Kate Healy and only became Kate McCann on May 4th. Except she signed the creche (or someone did) as Kate McCann several times in the holiday (http://www.mccannfiles.com/id351.html) as Kate McCann. Oopsie.

What about "As soon as it was light Gerry and I resumed our search."  Where's that interview again where she admits to not physically searching but working hard or something...?

What about Kate claiming she took the photo of Madeleine and the tennis balls?  Rachel Oldfield says that was taken by Jane Tanner. Discrepancies? What discrepancies, your honour?

Oh and whilst you're harping on about the naughty illegal amaral leaking information in contravention of the secrecy laws (you do, of course, have evidence it was Amaral, right?) what about the McCanns hiring Metodo 3 to work in Portugal on an active investigation?  Illegal.  Does that make them "unconvicted criminals"?

How very pathetic and narrow minded of you to try and use such non entities in a manner which attempts to prove some sort of culpability on behalf of the McCanns.  My first reaction to this post is to ask myself is this really the best you can do?  Silliness and immature point scoring....pathetic.
Liars come in all shapes and sizes. No profession is without them.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2013, 12:52:24 PM »

Explain further please ?

It was a written statement by Amaral, and presented to The Court.

Saying what ?

Offline insider

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2013, 12:52:42 PM »
Apparently Amaral appealed his conviction in 2011 and lost

http://www.dn.pt/inicio/portugal/interior.aspx?content_id=1882361

Translation:

On 18 March this year, the Court of Appeal upheld the conviction of former PJ inspector Gonçalo Amaral and António Nunes Cardoso, with suspended sentences, the Court of Faro in 2009, but the latter former agent requested "clarification and reform of judgment. "

According to judicial sources, the Évora understood that "lacks reason," the application of António Nunes Cardoso, sentenced to two years and three months imprisonment with suspended sentence for the crime of document forgery. Understand yet the appellate court that the appeal of Évora "extravassa fully the scope allowed to a request for clarification or adduction of errors, oversights, or obscurities nonentities."

In the decision of the resources of the former inspectors, reported on 18 March 2011, the ratio also remained a sentence of one year and six months in prison for the crime of making false allegations, suspended on probation, applied to Gonçalo Amaral, former coordinator of the Criminal Investigation Department in Portimão.

Following the decision of the Appeal, Marcos Aragão Correia, Leonor Cipriano's lawyer, filed a complaint against the Portuguese state at the United Nations for violating "gross the most basic human rights." The lawyer said the agency Lusa that the conviction and ordered the expulsion of Portugal's Commission on Human Rights of the United Nations.

The case of attacks on Leonor Cipriano was tried in Faro in 2009, but the Court of Faro did not determine the authorship of the attacks on the mother of Joana. Besides Gonçalo Amaral, acquitted of the crime of failure to report abuse, and António Nunes Cardoso, was also judged the former inspector Paulo Pereira Cristovao Morgado Leonel Marques and still active agent and Paulo Marques Good Paulo Pereira Cristovao, Leonel Marques Morgado and Paulo Marques Bom were acquitted.

Offline insider

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2013, 12:56:06 PM »
Gonçalo Amaral stands as a convicted criminal who has lost at least one appeal.   Lets not split hairs on this fact because frankly it makes those who do look quite stupid.   

If he ever has his conviction overturned that is another matter but I have my doubts.   8(0(*

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2013, 01:15:06 PM »
Gonçalo Amaral stands as a convicted criminal who has lost at least one appeal.   Lets not split hairs on this fact because frankly it makes those who do look quite stupid.   

If he ever has his conviction overturned that is another matter but I have my doubts.   8(0(*

As it stands Amaral has indeed been convicted of a crime and has had his appeal against that conviction turned down but that was before the evidence that convicted him ie Cipriano's 'torture' testimony, was categorically discredited by her perjury conviction.

Now it's a whole different ball game.

Offline insider

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2013, 01:19:40 PM »
I believe Amaral was not involved in the beating of this woman but he participated in the subsequent cover up.  Regardless of what happens to the abusers his conviction is a separate matter.

debunker

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2013, 01:23:13 PM »

As it stands Amaral has indeed been convicted of a crime and has had his appeal against that conviction turned down but that was before the evidence that convicted him ie Cipriano's 'torture' testimony, was categorically discredited by her perjury conviction.

Now it's a whole different ball game.

IN your humble and ill-informed opinion.

HE may be allowed an appeal.
Shall we wait and see instead of assum ing our prejudices are the determinant of the future.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2013, 01:44:34 PM »

The complaint of False Accusations against Leonor Cipriano was brought by the three PJ Officers who were acquitted of actual torture, since she failed to identify them due to having a bag over her head while someone was beating her up.
Two Courts now have accepted as proven that she was beaten while in Police Custody.

Personally, I fail to see how she can have been convicted of this since she does not appear to have named them herself because she didn't know who they were, due to aforementioned bag.

Offline Admin

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2013, 01:47:21 PM »

The complaint of False Accusations against Leonor Cipriano was brought by the three PJ Officers who were acquitted of actual torture, since she failed to identify them due to having a bag over her head while someone was beating her up.
Two Courts now have accepted as proven that she was beaten while in Police Custody.

Personally, I fail to see how she can have been convicted of this since she does not appear to have named them herself because she didn't know who they were, due to aforementioned bag.

There will be custody records which detail who saw her and when.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2013, 01:52:20 PM »
Amaral would certainly be given leave to appeal in the UK if the main witness for the prosecution had been convicted of perjury in the same case.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2013, 01:56:42 PM »

There will be custody records which detail who saw her and when.

Pretty nearly absolutely, although one might have to take into account the honesty of the records. 
This did happen over a day and a night, and there have been pointers to Officers being brought in from outside.  But I think it is pretty safe to assume that The PJ Hierarchy know who done.  This could be why moves are afoot to remove the pensions of all five of them.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2016, 11:24:57 AM »
Amaral would certainly be given leave to appeal in the UK if the main witness for the prosecution had been convicted of perjury in the same case.

Amaral lied to the judge over the altered timesheets so an appeal cannot alter that fact. Ironically, had he not been involved with the McCann case he would not have been convicted nor lost his job.  C'est la vie!!
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!