Poll

Peer Reviewed Research suggests that Scent Dogs of all types have a maximunm combined accuracy of about 90%

I Understand and Accept this
3 (50%)
I believe Scent Dogs are more accurate than this
1 (16.7%)
I am not sure
1 (16.7%)
I don't believe Scent Dogs generally are that accurate
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: July 24, 2018, 11:14:43 AM

Author Topic: Poll - Scent Dogs Accuracy  (Read 235356 times)

Offline slartibartfast

Re: Poll - Scent Dogs Accuracy
« Reply #510 on: June 29, 2018, 06:07:13 PM »
Based on the prosecution case & what we know about cadaver dogs, which part of the sentence do you feel is not factual?

Unless,you actually say why it is an opinion.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline misty

« Reply #511 on: June 29, 2018, 06:18:53 PM »
Unless,you actually say why it is an opinion.

It is a fact that Hernandez provided a testimony which was used in court against him, saying that Etan was still alive when he abandoned him on the sidewalk in a box.
It is a fact that cadaver dogs should not alert to remnant scent of a living human.
How is that opinion?

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #512 on: June 29, 2018, 06:28:36 PM »
Based on the prosecution case & what we know about cadaver dogs, which part of the sentence do you feel is not factual?
Anything I feel about the facts of the matter would also be opinion.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #513 on: June 29, 2018, 06:36:02 PM »
It is a fact that Hernandez provided a testimony which was used in court against him, saying that Etan was still alive when he abandoned him on the sidewalk in a box.
It is a fact that cadaver dogs should not alert to remnant scent of a living human.
How is that opinion?
You can put a living person into a box "alive" but unless there is sufficient oxygen that person is not going to stay alive for long.  Once that formerly living person dies then cadaver odours would develop.  Thinking about it by dying in such a fashion, the body temperature would be up and the insulation provided by the box would cause rapid decomposition of the body (i.e. comparatively  rapid cadaver odour development would be the outcome) IMO.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline misty

« Reply #514 on: June 29, 2018, 06:49:00 PM »
You can put a living person into a box "alive" but unless there is sufficient oxygen that person is not going to stay alive for long.  Once that formerly living person dies then cadaver odours would develop.  Thinking about it by dying in such a fashion, the body temperature would be up and the insulation provided by the box would cause rapid decomposition of the body (i.e. comparatively  rapid cadaver odour development would be the outcome) IMO.

That opinion is not consistent with the confession used against Hernandez in court. Was the confession unreliable or did the cadaver dog alert to the remnant scent of someone/something other than Etan?

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #515 on: June 29, 2018, 06:54:25 PM »
That opinion is not consistent with the confession used against Hernandez in court. Was the confession unreliable or did the cadaver dog alert to the remnant scent of someone/something other than Etan?
What part was inconsistent with the confession?
Moderation

Offline misty

« Reply #516 on: June 29, 2018, 07:27:36 PM »
What part was inconsistent with the confession?

The cadaver dog alert in the basement.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #517 on: June 29, 2018, 08:42:47 PM »
The police believe he was strangled to death in the basement then wrapped and put inside a box there re cadaver dog alert.
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline misty

« Reply #518 on: June 29, 2018, 10:08:08 PM »
The police believe he was strangled to death in the basement then wrapped and put inside a box there re cadaver dog alert.

Was it because it suited the police to believe that?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/etan-patz-case-cops-dismissed-suspects-confession-before

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #519 on: June 29, 2018, 11:18:47 PM »
Dogs are regularly tested and if they fail they are out. They would trust a professional dog alert that corroborates with other evidence over a lying murderer. The dog in the Zapata case also alerted 25 years later to cadaver scent. These are not strange coincidences but dog's doing their job right.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 11:21:14 PM by pathfinder73 »
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #520 on: June 29, 2018, 11:45:49 PM »
The cadaver dog alert in the basement.
In the confession it said "Pedro Hernandez, a former bodega stock clerk who confessed to luring 6-year-old Etan Patz into a basement and attacking him, ..."  So if in that attack EP bled onto the floor of the basement and that blood decomposed after it soaked into the woodwork (say) that could be the source of the cadaver odour in the basement even though the child is said to be still alive in the box out on the pavement.
Moderation

Offline sadie

« Reply #521 on: June 30, 2018, 12:12:21 AM »
In the confession it said "Pedro Hernandez, a former bodega stock clerk who confessed to luring 6-year-old Etan Patz into a basement and attacking him, ..."  So if in that attack EP bled onto the floor of the basement and that blood decomposed after it soaked into the woodwork (say) that could be the source of the cadaver odour in the basement even though the child is said to be still alive in the box out on the pavement.
But according to my understanding, Rob, that is not correct.

That would be blood from a living person that had since dried.  There would be no cadavar odour in that blood even later.  A blood dog might have alerted to it, but not a Cadavar dog.

Please correct me, if I am wrong.

Offline misty

« Reply #522 on: June 30, 2018, 01:39:29 AM »
Dogs are regularly tested and if they fail they are out. They would trust a professional dog alert that corroborates with other evidence over a lying murderer. The dog in the Zapata case also alerted 25 years later to cadaver scent. These are not strange coincidences but dog's doing their job right.

Who tests US dogs, Pathfinder?

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #523 on: June 30, 2018, 04:24:07 AM »
But according to my understanding, Rob, that is not correct.

That would be blood from a living person that had since dried.  There would be no cadavar odour in that blood even later.  A blood dog might have alerted to it, but not a Cadavar dog.

Please correct me, if I am wrong.
I am certain you are wrong Sadie. Blood split could dry on a surface.  It would have to be a thin layer but if it got into a crevice between floor boards or tiles it would be unable to dry and it could go rotten. 
Moderation

Offline John

« Reply #524 on: June 30, 2018, 11:08:53 AM »
Note by Editor:

Please keep all conversations civil, constructive and to the point. Let's try and get through the weekend with as few reports as possible being made. 

Have a great weekend everyone.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.