Author Topic: The Brexit deal's been done!  (Read 16975 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: The Brexit deal's been done!
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2020, 11:13:44 AM »
The pair of you are just trying to goad which is bad form for moderators imo.  Give me one good reason why anyone who was happy to be part of the EU and who voted to remain should be celebrating and waving flags about the present situation?  The only thing I am pleased about is that at least we are not leaving on WTO terms which even the most hardened Brexiteer must now finally admit would have been an absolute disaster for all.

It's not so much a matter of EU membership for me, it's the fact that our politicians and others were happy to abandon democratic ideals to get what they wanted. Democracy isn't just a word, it's a vital part of our identity. Politicians in particular should be committed to it and uphold it above all else, and so should the electorate.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2020, 12:08:52 PM »
It's not so much a matter of EU membership for me, it's the fact that our politicians and others were happy to abandon democratic ideals to get what they wanted. Democracy isn't just a word, it's a vital part of our identity. Politicians in particular should be committed to it and uphold it above all else, and so should the electorate.
So there is no issue upon which the people might vote in favour of  (say the return of the desth penalty) that you would vocally oppose?  You’d cite “will of the people” and wholeheartedly back it and celebrate and wave flags at the first hanging?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2020, 12:32:08 PM »
So there is no issue upon which the people might vote in favour of  (say the return of the desth penalty) that you would vocally oppose?  You’d cite “will of the people” and wholeheartedly back it and celebrate and wave flags at the first hanging?

Hanging will never win a majority in a referendum in the UK; hanging is disapproved of by 68-23% amongst all British people, although a majority (51%) would like to see the death penalty reintroduced. I see it as a backward step, but I can understand those who want it.

What I wouldn't do is agitate for another referendum if such a vote ever took place.

Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2020, 01:30:53 PM »
Hanging will never win a majority in a referendum in the UK; hanging is disapproved of by 68-23% amongst all British people, although a majority (51%) would like to see the death penalty reintroduced. I see it as a backward step, but I can understand those who want it.

What I wouldn't do is agitate for another referendum if such a vote ever took place.
Why ever not?  Do you think agitating to stop the death penalty would be morally wrong in such a situation?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2020, 02:15:36 PM »
Why ever not?  Do you think agitating to stop the death penalty would be morally wrong in such a situation?

I would never attempt to overturn the result of a democratic vote. Anyone who does that is rejecting democracy, no matter what the issue may be. Democracy can't be something which is only supported when you agree with it's results.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2020, 02:30:37 PM »
I would never attempt to overturn the result of a democratic vote. Anyone who does that is rejecting democracy, no matter what the issue may be. Democracy can't be something which is only supported when you agree with it's results.
I think you should stand up for what you believe in, no matter if you're in the minority.  And I certainly don't think you should be goaded or shamed into celebrating and waving flags for something you don't subscribe to by those that "won". 

Offline Erngath

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2020, 07:26:35 PM »
I take it you are Scottish VS, everything is so depressing and negative with you.

Decided  to reference  your post  again.
It's almost Hogmanay.  @)(++(*
Have you visited Scotland often?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 07:29:00 PM by Erngath »
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2020, 07:30:48 PM »

Trump is doing his damnest to do so.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2020, 07:35:37 PM »

Trump is doing his damnest to do so.

If the Americans have any sense they will drop him just as we in the UK dropped our anti-democratic MP's.
Result = happy posting.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2020, 07:39:16 PM »
I think you should stand up for what you believe in, no matter if you're in the minority.  And I certainly don't think you should be goaded or shamed into celebrating and waving flags for something you don't subscribe to by those that "won".

I believe in democracy and have stood up for it throughout this process.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2020, 07:41:37 PM »
If the Americans have any sense they will drop him just as we in the UK dropped our anti-democratic MP's.

The first six words of your post indicate that many Americans do not have "any sense" otherwise he would never ever have been elected President.
What an utter embarrassment he has now become.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2020, 07:46:08 PM »

But you don't accept the democratic vote of the Scots....who voted no to leaving the EU?
Hasn't NI done rather better than Scotland in the agreement and they too voted no.
Lucky them!

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2020, 07:50:37 PM »
And I have no objection to you doing so, however I do find it strange that someone who believes so strongly in the democratic process also refused to take part in the single most important vote of a generation.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2020, 10:06:37 PM »
But you don't accept the democratic vote of the Scots....who voted no to leaving the EU?
Hasn't NI done rather better than Scotland in the agreement and they too voted no.
Lucky them!

I thought the Scottish people voted in the UK Referendum? Surely it occured to them that the result would apply to the whole of the UK?

Result = happy posting.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2020, 11:00:14 PM »
I thought the Scottish people voted in the UK Referendum? Surely it occured to them that the result would apply to the whole of the UK?

Of course it did.
And thus the recent polls indicate an increasing support for independence.
Hopefully you can appreciate the reason for that support.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 11:17:57 PM by Erngath »