Author Topic: The mysterious case of missing Matej Peris: does phone signal work under water?  (Read 731 times)

Offline VIXTE

I need your help, it is about a high profile case that is currently happening in the Balkans. I have been searching for an answer to this for days and days.

It is about the case of missing Matej Peris in Belgrade, Serbia. He was a tourist and he disappeared about 7-8 hours after he entered the country at 1:50 on 31.12.2021. I can speak Croatian and I have been following the case since it first time appeared in the media. Since that day the whole Balkans is crazy, the coverage is similar to Madeleine Mccann case, with articles coming out every minute.

Now my question:

In their first and only reconstruction video Serbian police says that mobile phone signal of Matej Peris is matching the route of an object in the river Sava. The young guy is prior to this seen running in the streets of Belgrade after the midnight after leaving a night club, he run for around 8 minutes, without a jacket, only in a t-shirt, seen stopping a taxi but the taxi did not take him in,  and then he comes to a huge terrace next to a river and he disappears but there is no proof he ever entered the river.

Now, the signal of his mobile phone is confusing.  There is an object in the river but we cannot clearly say it is a person.  The police said the mobile phone of MP is in the river, matching this object. My question is: how can the police get the signal INSIDE THE RIVER? If he was inside and the mobile phone was in his pocket how can this mobile phone communicate with the mobile phone towers? MP's father said the mobile phone was switched off the internet due to roaming charges, he thinks but the mobile  phone's data was switched off so the police has only the cellular signal to work on plus maybe the GPS but this is also in question. How then the police can find the exact position of the phone? The phone was a waterproof Samsung A21. So, the police says this phone was sending the signal from inside the river twice at the beginning (at 2:03 AM  and 2:06 AM)  and THEN 2.5 hours later ( at 4:15 AM)  from the area near an uninhabited island ( they cannot find the exact position because the phone was contacting only two phone masts) Again a mystery: how can a phone of a potentially dead person who had drown in the river send a signal from a bottom of the river after 2.5 hours inside the river? ( the police contacted Samsung and was told the phone can work only half an hour in the water.

This has been bothering me for a month, I really searched everywhere I could.

Offline Myster

It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline VIXTE

I've no idea for how long waterproof cellphones can send a signal when immersed in water /[/url]

I investigated this. One thing is a waterproof phone and another is the phone signal.
A waterproof phone of this type, according to manufacturer, can work well in the water for about half an hour.
A signal is another thing, a phone signal used RF waves, they do not transmit through water. So, the phone has to be completely on the surface of the water to be able to communicate with the mobile phone towers.
Why the police is saying the phone is under water, this is confusing me. It can be next to the river as well. They did not have the CCTV coverage of this area. The guy could have been walking next to the river with his phone in his pocket.
But how then a blackout appeared with no phone signal and then the signal again after 2.5 hours appeared at 4:15 in the possibly water-river area? Or maybe this was not in the water at all, because the phone communicated only with two towers, there is no third tower to help.  It could have been on the land again? Very very strange!
But since no phone and no person, the police assumes he is dead