Author Topic: Jeremy Corbyn for PM!!  (Read 243091 times)

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: Jeremy Corbyn for PM!!
« Reply #1350 on: March 27, 2020, 05:27:10 PM »
We are not talking about academic achievement. We are talking about multiple awards and honours bestowed upon the man by a number of great institutions and a swath of his contemporaries.
So what are you saying?  Chomsky is the top trump and his views are the last word and must be agreed with?  How typically authoritarian lefty of you.  Everything Matt Chorley wrote was factual anyway and god knows what Noam Chomsky has got to do with it, apart from it’s just another beautiful example of your desperate deflection tactics.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #1351 on: March 27, 2020, 06:52:55 PM »
So what are you saying?  Chomsky is the top trump and his views are the last word and must be agreed with?  How typically authoritarian lefty of you.  Everything Matt Chorley wrote was factual anyway and god knows what Noam Chomsky has got to do with it, apart from it’s just another beautiful example of your desperate deflection tactics.

No everything Matt Chorley wrote was opinion. Like you he seems to have a well established loathing of Corbyn.

Noam Chomsky was brought into the topic for balance. You are quite welcome to supply us with the opinion of someone of equal standing amongst his peers as Chomsky.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1352 on: March 27, 2020, 07:08:20 PM »
No everything Matt Chorley wrote was opinion. Like you he seems to have a well established loathing of Corbyn.

Noam Chomsky was brought into the topic for balance. You are quite welcome to supply us with the opinion of someone of equal standing amongst his peers as Chomsky.
Excuse me, but Matt Chorley listed a number of facts about Corbyn’s tenure as shadow leader, you obviously didn’t read it.  Thanks for giving me permission to go on a wild goose chase to try and find someone of equal standing as Chomsky (according to whom?) that you will almost certainly reject for some childishly spurious reason.  I’m not dancing to your tune. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #1353 on: March 27, 2020, 07:22:53 PM »
Excuse me, but Matt Chorley listed a number of facts about Corbyn’s tenure as shadow leader, you obviously didn’t read it.  Thanks for giving me permission to go on a wild goose chase to try and find someone of equal standing as Chomsky (according to whom?) that you will almost certainly reject for some childishly spurious reason.  I’m not dancing to your tune.

Equal standing according to their peers.

Unfortunately you have been reading the ( insert tabloid here ) for so long you no longer recognise a superior intellect such as Chomskys when you read it
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1354 on: March 27, 2020, 07:27:08 PM »
Equal standing according to their peers.

Unfortunately you have been reading the ( insert tabloid here ) for so long you no longer recognise a superior intellect such as Chomskys when you read it
Ooh, saucer of milk for the hissy cat.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #1355 on: March 27, 2020, 07:29:44 PM »
Ooh, saucer of milk for the hissy cat.

And you accuse me of deflection.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1356 on: March 27, 2020, 07:32:42 PM »
And you accuse me of deflection.
My reply was in response to your attempt at a withering put down vis-a-vis my supposed inability to recognise a superior intellect such as Noam Chomsky.  Where’s the deflection?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 08:32:02 PM by Vertigo Swirl »

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1357 on: March 29, 2020, 03:56:28 PM »
Keir Starmer is rising in my estimation, especially if this is true:

Sir Keir Starmer is planning to purge Jeremy Corbyn’s allies in the shadow cabinet and party headquarters within weeks of becoming Labour leader, according to “scorched earth” plans that lay bare his desire to break definitively with the factionalism of the party under his predecessor.

Starmer, the shadow Brexit secretary, is expected to be crowned leader on Saturday in a result deemed so damaging to some on the left that last week members of Corbyn’s office briefly discussed whether to extend his leadership by invoking the chaos caused by the the coronavirus.

In one of his first acts, Starmer is set to request the departure of Karie Murphy, Corbyn’s chief of staff, and Jennie Formby, the party’s general secretary, citing their alleged mishandling of bullying and anti-semitism allegations, which aides have said amounts to “gross misconduct”.

He will then overlook high-profile Corbynistas by appointing a fresh shadow cabinet, with almost all left-wing rising stars excluded.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #1358 on: March 29, 2020, 04:49:47 PM »
Keir Starmer is rising in my estimation, especially if this is true:

Sir Keir Starmer is planning to purge Jeremy Corbyn’s allies in the shadow cabinet and party headquarters within weeks of becoming Labour leader, according to “scorched earth” plans that lay bare his desire to break definitively with the factionalism of the party under his predecessor.

Starmer, the shadow Brexit secretary, is expected to be crowned leader on Saturday in a result deemed so damaging to some on the left that last week members of Corbyn’s office briefly discussed whether to extend his leadership by invoking the chaos caused by the the coronavirus.

In one of his first acts, Starmer is set to request the departure of Karie Murphy, Corbyn’s chief of staff, and Jennie Formby, the party’s general secretary, citing their alleged mishandling of bullying and anti-semitism allegations, which aides have said amounts to “gross misconduct”.

He will then overlook high-profile Corbynistas by appointing a fresh shadow cabinet, with almost all left-wing rising stars excluded.

Can we have a link please ?

Offline Venturi Swirl

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #1360 on: March 29, 2020, 05:15:46 PM »
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/labour-leadership-race-keir-starmers-scorched-earth-plan-to-roast-left-zthbw2dqz

Thank you. I’m not a subscriber so can only see part of the article.

Starmer will have to be very careful. The voters who were disillusioned by the politics of Blair will not be lured back by more of the same and those members, somewhere in the region of 200000+, who joined precisely because of the party’s shift to the left will not take too kindly to a purge of the those they see as carrying that mantle forward.

We must never forget that in 2017 Labour, on a leftist platform, were 250,000 votes away from being able to form a government and, I believe, if they hadn’t supported a second referendum on Brexit then we just may have seen the same, if a not better, result this time. Many, many Labour supporters interviewed said they were ashamed of voting Tory but they were doing so in order to ‘get Brexit done’. Now imagine if Labour had also offered to uphold the result of the referendum?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 05:24:58 PM by Faithlilly »

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1361 on: March 29, 2020, 06:18:54 PM »
Thank you. I’m not a subscriber so can only see part of the article.

Starmer will have to be very careful. The voters who were disillusioned by the politics of Blair will not be lured back by more of the same and those members, somewhere in the region of 200000+, who joined precisely because of the party’s shift to the left will not take too kindly to a purge of the those they see as carrying that mantle forward.

We must never forget that in 2017 Labour, on a leftist platform, were 250,000 votes away from being able to form a government and, I believe, if they hadn’t supported a second referendum on Brexit then we just may have seen the same, if a not better, result this time. Many, many Labour supporters interviewed said they were ashamed of voting Tory but they were doing so in order to ‘get Brexit done’. Now imagine if Labour had also offered to uphold the result of the referendum?
Weak leadership prevented them from doing so, they only  have themselves to blame.  I always said Corbyn should have come out of the closet and nailed his colours to the Brexit mast.  Of course that would have cost him the support of many Labour members but would have gone down well with the average working class Brexit voter. 

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #1362 on: March 29, 2020, 07:58:38 PM »
Weak leadership prevented them from doing so, they only  have themselves to blame.  I always said Corbyn should have come out of the closet and nailed his colours to the Brexit mast.  Of course that would have cost him the support of many Labour members but would have gone down well with the average working class Brexit voter.

We are a Democratic Party, the policy was not Corbyn’s to decide but was agreed on at conference. Being a party of mixed demographics it would always have been difficult to satisfy everyone. Take Brexit out of the equation and it would have been a whole different story.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1363 on: March 29, 2020, 10:22:38 PM »
We are a Democratic Party, the policy was not Corbyn’s to decide but was agreed on at conference. Being a party of mixed demographics it would always have been difficult to satisfy everyone. Take Brexit out of the equation and it would have been a whole different story.
Obviously not a very good way of deciding a coherent policy is it?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #1364 on: March 30, 2020, 12:18:29 AM »
Obviously not a very good way of deciding a coherent policy is it?

In this case obviously not but whatever policy the party adopted would have lost them voters.