Author Topic: Who will be the next leader of the Conservative Party and by default, the PM?  (Read 60313 times)

Offline John

Any suggestions?

It is Cameron who has brought all this down upon us, promising one thing and doing another in between his sobs.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 03:04:58 PM by Angelo222 »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

stephen25000

It is Cameron who has brought all this down upon us, promising one thing and doing another in between his sobs.

It is a  Tory party fight for power and fear of Ukip which is responsible for this mess.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 03:05:24 PM by Angelo222 »

Offline Carana

It is a  Tory party fight for power and fear of Ukip which is responsible for this mess.

I have no doubt that there are valid gripes for everyone in this mess.

I also feel concerned that an unquantified proportion of the UK voting public may well have relied on their favourite tabloid for confirmation bias.

Other countries in the surrounding geographical area (generaly referred to as "Europe") will also have to pick up the tab on this...

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 03:05:45 PM by Angelo222 »

Offline G-Unit

I expect May to win, but I don't care which one becomes PM so long as they do what the people voted for.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Alfie

I expect May to win, but I don't care which one becomes PM so long as they do what the people voted for.
what have people voted for actually?  Ds anyone know?  Leaving the EU seems to mean different things to different people...

Offline G-Unit

what have people voted for actually?  Ds anyone know?  Leaving the EU seems to mean different things to different people...

Hopefully our Prime Ministers can stop schlepping across the Channel trying to get out of things. We were never committed members anyway.
Result = happy posting.

Alfie

Hopefully our Prime Ministers can stop schlepping across the Channel trying to get out of things. We were never committed members anyway.
What did you vote for?

Offline G-Unit

What did you vote for?

What possible difference does that make to anything? My voting behaviour is my business and no-one else's.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Carana

Personally, I never thought that she did mean it as a nasty personal jibe.

As is often the case, context is useful:

“I was pressed to say how my children had formed my views. I didn’t want it to be used as an issue. Having children has no bearing on the ability to be PM. I deeply regret that anyone has got the impression that I think otherwise.”

On the other hand, the knee-jerk reaction of accusing a serious journalist of engaging in "gutter journalism" was perhaps not the wisest of post-blunder courses of action.

Eric Pickles, the former cabinet minister who is supporting May’s bid [commented]  “I don’t like to see those kind of reactions in a potential prime minister because she is going to have to deal with a lot more [and] tougher people than that particular journalist, Rachel Sylvester. I think Mr Putin might be just a little bit more difficult.”

I can understand that she doesn't have much experience in dealing with the media, but it looks like she'll need to face a rather steep learning curve.

Andrea Leadsom apologises to Theresa May for motherhood remarks

Tory leadership candidate says sorry to her rival, Theresa May, after ‘fluffing her first major interview with a very serious journalist’

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/10/andrea-leadsom-apologises-for-motherhood-remarks
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 12:21:02 PM by Carana »

Alfie

What possible difference does that make to anything? My voting behaviour is my business and no-one else's.
You're very opinionated.  You seem to be firmly in the Leave camp, yet claim you did not vote leave.  So as this is a chat forum where we discuss our views on different subjects, I thought it wasn't too absurd or impertinent to ask you what you actually voted for - ie: what outcome did you want from the referendum as far as our relationship with the EU is concerned.  I don't see what the big secret is, in fact I find it odd that you should be so coy about it.  Your choice of course.

stephen25000

Personally, I never thought that she did mean it as a nasty personal jibe.

As is often the case, context is useful:

“I was pressed to say how my children had formed my views. I didn’t want it to be used as an issue. Having children has no bearing on the ability to be PM. I deeply regret that anyone has got the impression that I think otherwise.”

On the other hand, the knee-jerk reaction of accusing a serious journalist of engaging in "gutter journalism" was perhaps not the wisest of course of post-blunder courses of action.

Eric Pickles, the former cabinet minister who is supporting May’s bid [commented]  “I don’t like to see those kind of reactions in a potential prime minister because she is going to have to deal with a lot more [and] tougher people than that particular journalist, Rachel Sylvester. I think Mr Putin might be just a little bit more difficult.”

I can understand that she doesn't have much experience in dealing with the media, but it looks like she'll need to face a rather steep learning curve.

I can see a slightly worrying

Andrea Leadsom apologises to Theresa May for motherhood remarks

Tory leadership candidate says sorry to her rival, Theresa May, after ‘fluffing her first major interview with a very serious journalist’

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/10/andrea-leadsom-apologises-for-motherhood-remarks

I read the 'apology' earlier.

Having checked her background, including the donations to the Tory party which have come though her brother-in-law, via various companies, I wouldn't trust anything she said at first hand.

Maybe I'm just too cynical.

Offline G-Unit

You're very opinionated.  You seem to be firmly in the Leave camp, yet claim you did not vote leave.  So as this is a chat forum where we discuss our views on different subjects, I thought it wasn't too absurd or impertinent to ask you what you actually voted for - ie: what outcome did you want from the referendum as far as our relationship with the EU is concerned.  I don't see what the big secret is, in fact I find it odd that you should be so coy about it.  Your choice of course.

I'm actually not very opinionated on many subjects. I didn't identify myself as a supporter or sceptic in another poll as I leave labelling to those who have passionate beliefs on things.

I am a believer in democracy. A lot of my responses have been about democracy and against the labelling of voters because of the way they voted.
Result = happy posting.

Alfie

I'm actually not very opinionated on many subjects. I didn't identify myself as a supporter or sceptic in another poll as I leave labelling to those who have passionate beliefs on things.

I am a believer in democracy. A lot of my responses have been about democracy and against the labelling of voters because of the way they voted.
Do you believe the EU is democratic? 

Offline Carana

I read the 'apology' earlier.

Having checked her background, including the donations to the Tory party which have come though her brother-in-law, via various companies, I wouldn't trust anything she said at first hand.

Maybe I'm just too cynical.

I don't know, I'm just trying to be fair.  I tend to give the benefit of the doubt, particularly as I'm well aware of how the slightest gaffe can be seized upon.

stephen25000

I don't know, I'm just trying to be fair.  I tend to give the benefit of the doubt, particularly as I'm well aware of how the slightest gaffe can be seized upon.

I know Carana that you are being fair.

I just see cold calculation in Leadsom's eyes, which backfired in this instance.