Author Topic: Would the libel case had a different result if pecuniary damages weren't sought?  (Read 21214 times)

Offline slartibartfast

I disagree and have posted cases ti support my view

No you haven’t IMO. You have select Media and Blogger cases.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline carlymichelle

biased   ones too no doubt  what davel wants in this case isnt  what he will get   the mcanns    court  case doesnt  exsist imo

Offline Mr Gray

Look again... The last one I quoted was a newspaper article

Offline Lace

I think it is you who need to do a bit of reading.  Amaral set out a theory based on the evidence available to the police, he has carefully avoided making accusations.

What evidence?

Offline Robittybob1

Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Angelo222

What evidence?

You are kidding right?   Evidence is everything the police found out about Maddie's disappearance, the movements and activities of everyone who was there that night, the men seen carrying a young girl by other witnesses, the crime scene investigation of the apartment, the tracker dogs, the CSI and EVRD inspections etc etc...

Evidence can point different ways at different times as an investigation develops.  It is correct that Amaral was removed from the investigation before he could complete his enquiries, changing the lead investigator is always a bad move.  It sent the wrong message to those detectives already working the case.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 11:28:48 AM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Mr Gray

You are kidding right?   Evidence is everything the police found out about Maddie's disappearance, the movements and activities of everyone who was there that night, the men seen carrying a young girl by other witnesses, the crime scene investigation of the apartment, the tracker dogs, the CSI and EVRD inspections etc etc...

Evidence can point different ways at different times as an investigation develops.  It is correct that Amaral was removed from the investigation before he could complete his enquiries, changing the lead investigator is always a bad move.  It sent the wrong message to those detectives already working the case.

The archiving report said no evidence of any crime by the mccanns......changing the lead investigator is not always a bad move...thats your opinion....obviously sometimes it is necessarry

Offline Gertrude

So back to the 'no evidence' thing, it seems like circular arguments.   Ignoring the fact that the case was archived due to not enough evidence to prove a criminal act - it does not equate to 'no evidence'.   

"public prosecutors hadn’t managed to obtain sufficient evidence of the practice of crimes by the appellants.''

“It should not be said that the appellants were cleared via the ruling announcing the archiving of the criminal case.”

Dictionary definition "insufficient: of a quantity not able to fulfill a need or requirement'' as in , there is a quantity but it's not enough!

Also ignoring the fact that the McCanns defamed themselves so do not have a cat in hells chance of convincing a court that someone else is responsible for their own mess and bad reputation.

Offline Lace

There was no evidence found against the McCann's.   

Offline slartibartfast

Look again... The last one I quoted was a newspaper article

I wonder when newspapers stopped being part of the media?
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Mr Gray

I wonder when newspapers stopped being part of the media?

Amara made a TV programme... That's part of the media

Offline Miss Taken Identity

There was no evidence found against the McCann's.

Who said that?   insufficient evidence=not enough.  This is what has been pointed out.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Mr Gray

Who said that?   insufficient evidence=not enough.  This is what has been pointed out.

the archiving report said no evidence of any crime

pedro de Carmo says theres no evidence against the mccanns

Offline Miss Taken Identity

Is this the same archiving report that you claimed was not translated properly?
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Gertrude

Yes as I said. No evidence of a crime does not = no evidence. It means not enough of the evidence to prove a 'criminal act'.

We are going in circles again. and you seem to be changing the subject.