Author Topic: List of things to check when I get to Praia da Luz  (Read 24585 times)

Offline Robittybob1

List of things to check when I get to Praia da Luz
« on: February 02, 2018, 07:06:43 AM »
Add posts of things you would liked checked if you had the opportunity to go to PdL.

1.  Define the cul-de-sac that Russell O'Brien talks about.

2.  The height of the garden walls?

3. Can the garden walls be climbed over, by adults or by kids?

4  Visibility at 9:00, 9:15 and 10:00 PM on the 3rd of May.  (lux meter required)

5. distance of side gate to footpath of the top road.

6. How is the Tapas reception secured at night?  Can the access card always open it?

7.  How is the door at the secondary reception held open?

8. Measure the dimensions of the kids bedroom window.

9.  I want to know if the units had air conditioning.

10. I want to see how noisy the front door is compared to the sliding door.

11.  I want to see how effective the public patio of block 6 would be for viewing apartment 5A (Sadie's theory).

12.  Has the back garden of the most westerly apartment got a gate thru onto the alleyway?

13  Madeleine in an excited moment running off  she somehow got into the back garden of the most westerly apartment. - follow the likely route she took

14.  Stand in the recess along the roadside wall and sense whether it is a suitable temporary hiding place.

15.  Walk the distance between the Tapas and the 24 hour reception, and time the walk.

16.  Find the short cut to the 24 hour reception and time the walk.

17.  Know where the Kids club was.

18.  Know where the night creche was situated

19.  Know where the Toddlers creche was.

20.  Understand the pattern of searches the Tapas 7 made immediately after Kate's alarm.

21.  Do the walk from apartment 5A front door to passageway between Blocks 4 and 5, down alleyway and down to reception door at 9:45 PM at night. (imagine being Madeleine)

22.  Attend a Sunday service at the local church in PdL (Church of Nossa Senhora da Luz).

23.  Would the curtains at the patio door self close behind a 4 year old?

24.  I want SiL to show me where the blood was found along the foot path  500 meters or so away.

25. Can the front door be slammed shut?

26.  Purchase an Italian style rim lock of the type in the apartment

27.  Can it be modified?

28. From where Kate was standing when Kate opened the door after it slammed shut,  From that standing  position how much of Madeleine's bed could she possibly see?

29. "No staff member mentions the task of locking up for the night."  Find out who locks up st the end of the night.

30.  "As,for the patio doors, I doubt they had an external handle and would need to be left open a fraction to enable someone to get their fingers between the door and door frame, in order to slide the door open." How was the patio door open from the outside?

31.  How were the orders taken at the Tapas Restaurant?  "A waitress takes the orders you don't write them anywhere"  was that true?

32.  How difficult is it to open the patio doors. I was thinking we could measure that in terms of force with a spring balance.

33. SiL could take us along the route Smithman took.  Understand that one.  Do that walk at 10:00 PM at night. 

34 Discover where Smithman could have gone after passing the Smiths.

35  "take a set of pale pink pjs with you so you can see if it's possible to tell the colour from a distance."  That is a type of reconstruction.  OK  it could be done across the top road. (validating Tanner's sighting.)

36  This suggestion from Angelo is just so great.  "One thing you could do is ask around the locals to see what they really think about the case as we've heard so many conflicting stories.  A chat with Malinka or even Murat would be a bonus."  SiL knows Malinka's mother.  Robert Murat just lives up the road.

37  I would like to have chat with Silvia Batista if that was possible? (speaks English and Portuguese) "964098114 This mobile number was noted as belonging to Silvia Batista."

38   Where is/was Chaplin's Bar?

39  Walk the alleyway at the back of the apartments,  at night, to assess whether Jane and others would walk that way to their apartments after dark. https://youtu.be/tUHp85TyJ0Y

40. We could check out a series of items associated with the Smith Family.  "— That he has an apartment in Luz, Lagos, located in the Estela da Luz Urbanizaco, A1C"  Where is his apartment?

41.  "he went with his family to the Dolphin restaurant in Praia da Luz where they dined. "  Where is the Dolphin restaurant?

42.  "they left the restaurant and headed toward 'Kelly's Bar'; about a 50 metre distance from the restaurant"  Where is Kelly's Bar?  ("This bar is located on Calheta Street.")

43.  Check the directions and places mentioned here "— After leaving the bar, he travelled in the opposite direction and reached a set of stairs which gave access to Rua 25 de Abril (25th of April Street). On this artery they followed a second street, parallel to Rua 1 de Maio (1st of May Street) whose name he does not remember. He was heading toward his apartment (Estrela da Luz complex) which is located a little above the street Travessa da Escola Primária (Primary school crossing)"

44.  I would like to know the layout of the buildings and their names/function  e.g was is the Tapas Restaurant and what is the esplanade, where the walk-in chiller is at the Tapas?

45  Is it possible to put place names on the 5 kitchens Arlindo speaks of?  "is employed as executive chef of the kitchen. He clarifies that along with being responsible for the five (5) kitchens (one of whom is the Tapas) of the Ocean Club, his post essentially centres on the principal kitchen next to a reception, close to the restaurant MIRAGE. His work takes him occasionally to the other kitchens;"

46.  Where was Clement Freud's apartment?

47  ask the locals if the McCanns carried on enjoying themselves after Madeleine went missing, and ask if they received free drink and food at the complex.

48  Meet some ex-pats in particular Gail Cooper if possible.  Do you know her SiL?

49.  Find out if Amy Brooks is still in PdL

50.  Visit the marina a Lagos to understand systems for registering departures and arrivals.

51.  Rua d'Escola which Smithman was walking down when Martin saw him as being rather steep.  Please check it out how steep it was when you visit PdL,

52.  I must estimate the effect of the curved end of the wall affecting the apparent length of the wall surrounding the car park.

53. is there ANY door between the passageway and the pool area? 

48 left to list.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 06:45:47 PM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline barrier

Re: List of things to check when I get to Praia da Luz
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 08:40:57 AM »
Add posts of things you would liked checked if you had the opportunity to go to PdL.

4  Visibility at 9:00, 9:15 and 10:00 PM on the 3rd of May.  (lux meter required)

6. How is the Tapas reception secured at night?  Can the access card always open it?

What have Scotland yard actually been doing.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 09:10:21 AM »
What have Scotland yard actually been doing.
I doubt if they will be in PdL.  I'll be surprised if they are.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Carana

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 12:09:13 PM »
Rob, I'm sure you'd love to help discover what happened to her as much as everyone would, whatever the views. And I can understand that you'd like to see the place for yourself. However, TBH, I really don't see what an expensive trip from your neck of the woods would actually achieve.

Rob, re above 3, SIL lives not that far away and could possibly find time to check that if asked nicely.

IMO, that would be virtually impossible: the street lights have changed from older ones to more "modern" ones; the fact that the big tree has since been chopped down; the projector on the building wasn't there at the time... would make that pointless now.

Someone more conversant than me could find that on Google maps... and some have probably already posted that info.

IMO, the secondary reception may well have changed since then. One indication is that I believe SIL said that the restaurant was now a pizzeria. Has it changed ownership? Is it now open to anyone? Is there even a secondary reception? If so, I don't see how you'd check now on how it was run then.

8. Measure the dimensions of the kids bedroom window.
SIL might be willing to do that. The PJ have no doubt also taken measurements while they were there.

9.  I want to know if the units had air conditioning.

I'm not quite sure why you're interested in air conditioning, but I expect you have a reason. How would actually going there help you to find the answer to that? IMO, there wasn't as I've never seen any indication of one either in the photos of the interior, nor on the outside.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 12:34:20 PM by Carana »

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 12:18:38 PM »
There are 3 or 4 panels by the front door and there is an unexplained cavity in the kids bedroom, are these air conditioning ducts?  I just can't find the right image.  Just now.
Moderation

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 12:35:42 PM »
There are 3 or 4 panels by the front door and there is an unexplained cavity in the kids bedroom, are these air conditioning ducts?  I just can't find the right image.  Just now.

air conditioning ducts are usually in large communal buildings not in small private apartments

Offline Carana

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 01:12:19 PM »
air conditioning ducts are usually in large communal buildings not in small private apartments

As in hotels, etc., yes.

In my experience (not in PT), residential buildings are sometimes mixed... now - i.e., relatively little communal air-conditioning, and mostly left to individual choice. And that's the opposite of winter heating that I've found to be mostly communal or, now, sometimes individual.

The person best placed to answer that question would be the architect, I would have thought.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 06:18:08 PM »
Cavity in 5A:

In the corner in the kids bedroom where the window is there is a step in the wall two cupboards but they don't go all the way to the wall, in fact that corner is right beside the front door.  It must be that corner that has the air conditioning ducts or are they laundry chutes .  I'm not sure what I'm seeing.

See where it says Porta de entrada arrow 12 o'clock position from that arrow is the wardrobe wall of the kids bedroom, there is a square cavity and no door to it.  The wall on the exterior has panels on it.  I haven't saved that photo sorry.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 06:26:40 PM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 06:58:15 PM »
It might have been photos on Gerry McCanns Blogs.  I think the photos there are not picked up by Google and hence not in Google images.  That is frustrating for then how do you navigate around that enormous site.
Moderation

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 09:15:16 PM »
i think your journey has no point and dont see why others would want to fund you.....If I wanted to go I would fund it myself
That is hardly a plan is it!  There are things to check out, so plan how to get there.

Plan 1. Get SiL to do it for me?  Not that easy to get others to do things they don't quite  agree with.

Plan 2.   "Do it yourself".   But it has to be worth while.
It could be worthwhile if say there were 100 different things to check - each bit of information would cost 50 Euro.  Pretty cheap really.
Plan 3. ......?
Moderation

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 09:30:23 PM »
Cavity in 5A:

In the corner in the kids bedroom where the window is there is a step in the wall two cupboards but they don't go all the way to the wall, in fact that corner is right beside the front door.  It must be that corner that has the air conditioning ducts or are they laundry chutes .  I'm not sure what I'm seeing.

See where it says Porta de entrada arrow 12 o'clock position from that arrow is the wardrobe wall of the kids bedroom, there is a square cavity and no door to it.  The wall on the exterior has panels on it.  I haven't saved that photo sorry.
Those are utility meters.

There is no air conditioning unit.

Laundry got chucked down the stairwell to the block.
What's up, old man?

Online Eleanor

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 09:39:10 PM »
I have thought bout going out of curiosity but it sounds like an absolute dump now....pools empty....very run down evidently...not mush of  a place to go on holiday

It never was much of a place in comparison to other resorts on The Algarve.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 09:46:03 PM »
It never was much of a place in comparison to other resorts on The Algarve.

Strange place for a bunch of young upwardly mobile professionals to go.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 09:47:36 PM »
Strange place for a bunch of young upwardly mobile professionals to go.

I think it was  a decent place to go 11 years ago

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 09:52:23 PM »
I think it was  a decent place to go 11 years ago

Not according to Eleanor.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.