Author Topic: Barry George revisited.  (Read 170882 times)

Offline Nicholas

Re: Barry George revisited.
« Reply #270 on: April 14, 2019, 01:43:35 PM »
“Detective constable John Gallagher said after his arrest, George had claimed to have seen a Range Rover “acting suspiciously” on the day Miss Dando was killed.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2008/06/23/gun-holster-found-at-dando-suspects-home-207645/?ito=cbshare

“The court also heard evidence from Lenita Bailey, a friend of Mr George, who said he "rocked in his chair" and did not respond when she asked him if he committed the crime

Lenita Bailey said she had spoken to Mr George about the crime about a year after the murder.

She told the court she suspected he had lied to the police about seeing a Range Rover on the evening of the murder.

Ms Bailey said she told him he could be a suspect and asked if he had committed the crime.

She told the court: "He was looking at the floor and playing with his hands. He did not say anything, so I asked him again 'Did you do it, did you kill Jill Dando?' I never got a response."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1333889.stm
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 02:29:26 PM by Nicholas »
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #271 on: April 14, 2019, 01:48:34 PM »
“The court also heard evidence from Lenita Bailey, a friend of Mr George, who said he "rocked in his chair" and did not respond when she asked him if he committed the crime

Lenita Bailey said she had spoken to Mr George about the crime about a year after the murder.

She told the court she suspected he had lied to the police about seeing a Range Rover on the evening of the murder.

Ms Bailey said she told him he could be a suspect and asked if he had committed the crime.

She told the court: "He was looking at the floor and playing with his hands. He did not say anything, so I asked him again 'Did you do it, did you kill Jill Dando?' I never got a response."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1333889.stm

“After his flat had been searched, Mr George told a woman, Lenita Bailey, about the police's interest in him. She asked himif he had done it.

According to Mr Pownall,"The defendant remained silent and stared at the floor. She repeated the question twice more and asked him to look at her. His lips moved as if he was thinking of an answer but none was forthcoming
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/may/05/jilldando.nickhopkins1
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 02:29:42 PM by Nicholas »
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #272 on: April 14, 2019, 02:09:41 PM »
“After his flat had been searched, Mr George told a woman, Lenita Bailey, about the police's interest in him. She asked himif he had done it.

According to Mr Pownall,"The defendant remained silent and stared at the floor. She repeated the question twice more and asked him to look at her. His lips moved as if he was thinking of an answer but none was forthcoming
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/may/05/jilldando.nickhopkins1

“Undoubtedly, when persons are speaking on even terms and a charge is made, and the person charged says nothing, and expresses no indignation, and does nothing to repel the charge, that is some evidence to show that he admits the charge to be true.

Evidence in Context by Jonathon Doak

7.1 The “even terms” rule.

“Lenita Bailey was a customer at a hairdressers near the accused flat. She knew him and recalled a conversation with him. George came into the salon and claimed police were harassing him over the death of Jill Dando. He complained they had searched his home and his mothers house. Ms Bailey said to him: “Did you do it?”  George remained silent and starred at the floor. She repeated the question twice more and asked him to look at her. At trial, she said: “His lips moved as if he were thinking of an answer but none was forthcoming. Her evidence of the discussion, or lack of it, was admitted, and George was convicted.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=JmDLCQAAQBAJ&pg=PT374&lpg=PT374&dq=lenita+bailey+barry+george&source=bl&ots=o2q28Nrf8W&sig=ACfU3U0U6Ar9JmuOb0wlSIVZgNXu2D_peQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiqntajzs_hAhXvVBUIHc3LCmsQ6AEwEXoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=lenita%20bailey%20barry%20george&f=false
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 02:19:39 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #273 on: April 14, 2019, 02:37:20 PM »
“Detective constable John Gallagher said after his arrest, George had claimed to have seen a Range Rover “acting suspiciously” on the day Miss Dando was killed.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2008/06/23/gun-holster-found-at-dando-suspects-home-207645/?ito=cbshare

“Miss Bailey said she met George in April or May last year at the Jazzy G salon in Fulham, west London, close to where Miss Dando was shot. She had known him for some years and wondered why he seemed so subdued. He told her the police were following him and had taken his TV and video from his house, she said. "He said that it was in connection with the Jill Dando murder."

George told her he had gone to the police as a potential witness, claiming he had seen a Range Rover near Miss Dando's home shortly after she was shot, she said.

"I asked him if he had seen the Range Rover and he said, 'No'. I asked him why he told the police he had, and he said he did not know. I got really fed up with him.

"I thought he was lying, and I wanted him to shut up. I turned round so I was looking straight at him. I asked him if he did it. He was looking at the floor and playing with his hands." She asked him again. "I never got a response... I think I remember him rocking a little in the chair."

She told George to look at her and asked the question for a third time. "His lips were moving but nothing came out."
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/may/17/jilldando.nickhopkins

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #274 on: April 14, 2019, 04:33:00 PM »
”I know Barry George killed my friend Jill

“So allow me to set out something by way of balance. Let me start by saying that while there can never be certainties in cases like this, I remain confident that Barry George killed Jill Dando.

That said, on the basis of the evidence, as it was presented at his original trial, I confess I was surprised that the jury found him guilty.

I agree with Nick Ross!

Michelle Diskin Bates refers to Nick Ross in her book “Stand against injustice.”

She states on page 64:

“Ross had always intimated that he had insider information from the police that proved the conviction was right, even going so far as to interfere with the due process of the court. He wrote a letter to the three high court judges who were presiding over Barry’s 2007 appeal. 

She goes on:

“Personally I cannot conceive of anybody being so disrespectful to the courts, and to three high court judges, that they would seek to blackmail them into seeing things their way. No matter what how upset Ross had been at the killing of his Crimewatch co-presenter, no matter what he thought he knew, he was trying to pervert the course of justice, and the judges were incensed.

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #275 on: April 14, 2019, 04:35:19 PM »
Michelle Diskin Bates refers to Nick Ross in her book “Stand against injustice.”

She states on page 64:

“Ross had always intimated that he had insider information from the police that proved the conviction was right, even going so far as to interfere with the due process of the court. He wrote a letter to the three high court judges who were presiding over Barry’s 2007 appeal. 

She goes on:

“Personally I cannot conceive of anybody being so disrespectful to the courts, and to three high court judges, that they would seek to blackmail them into seeing things their way. No matter what how upset Ross had been at the killing of his Crimewatch co-presenter, no matter what he thought he knew, he was trying to pervert the course of justice, and the judges were incensed.

I find these psychological projections, as I see them, so very interesting for varying reasons....

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #276 on: April 14, 2019, 04:53:41 PM »
Michelle Bates involvement in the Bamber case is surprising given what we know about the conviction.  Jeremy Bamber is certainly no Barry George, the two cases couldn't be more different.

“Michelle Diskin Bates has gone on to become a standard bearer for miscarriages of justice. We don’t need her to misdirect justice, however. Her credibility has recently taken a U turn; she has taken on the “plight” of the mass murderer Jeremy Bamber. She is now a respected “patron” and part of his naïve campaign team. Jeremy Bamber was convicted in 1986 for shooting to death his mother, father, sister and his two 6 year old nephews. Initially an inquest concluded it was his sister, Sheila Caffell who carried out the murders; Bamber had successfully made it look like a murder suicide. He fooled enough people initially but was eventually caught out. Hugely frustrated he has always insisted on his innocence.
http://gunfire-graffiti.co.uk/who-didnt-kill-jill-dando/

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #277 on: April 14, 2019, 05:30:37 PM »
“Michelle Diskin Bates has gone on to become a standard bearer for miscarriages of justice. We don’t need her to misdirect justice, however. Her credibility has recently taken a U turn; she has taken on the “plight” of the mass murderer Jeremy Bamber. She is now a respected “patron” and part of his naïve campaign team. Jeremy Bamber was convicted in 1986 for shooting to death his mother, father, sister and his two 6 year old nephews. Initially an inquest concluded it was his sister, Sheila Caffell who carried out the murders; Bamber had successfully made it look like a murder suicide. He fooled enough people initially but was eventually caught out. Hugely frustrated he has always insisted on his innocence.

The guy who wrote the above wrote “Gunfire Graffiti - Overlooked Gun crime in the Uk” and Nick Ross wrote the preface for the book https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-NKeSZeOs80C&pg=PR11&lpg=PR11&dq=Matt+Seiber+gun+crime&source=bl&ots=6dDuqnRPbn&sig=ACfU3U3JwPFFs_lyCVSz0R1jKicTysXAZg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiGyqfa_s_hAhWDQxUIHcbkAA84ChDoATAJegQICRAB#v=onepage&q=Matt%20Seiber%20gun%20crime&f=false

“We don’t need her to misdirect justice, however.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 05:36:55 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #278 on: April 14, 2019, 06:03:46 PM »

She states on page 64:

She goes on:

Sounds to me like Michelle Diskin Bates is intimating SHE had/has insider information with regards the feelings of the high court judges!?

Does anyone actually believe this?

Imo she has always intimated she knows what her brother Barry feels and doesn’t feel when in actual fact it is not possible for her or anyone else to know what he does or doesn’t think or feel!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 06:08:46 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #279 on: April 14, 2019, 08:52:35 PM »
“There is a risk that the objectivity and impartiality of forensic science experts is being undermined by cognitive bias, according to new guidance from the Forensic Science Regulator Dr Gill Tully (pictured). This raises important issues for both prosecutors and defence practitioners.
Cognitive bias – subconscious personal bias – has been seen as a potential issue within criminal justice systems since the 1970s. But it is now being red-flagged after some high-profile cases, including false-positive fingerprint identifications, brought the issue into sharp relief.
Countering the risks has significant consequences for the way experts work with the police and prosecutors. It also opens up potential challenges for defence practitioners, who have been criticised in the past for not challenging expert evidence robustly enough.
The guidance, published as an appendix to the regulator’s codes of practice and conduct, sets out examples of good practice in specific subject areas associated with forensic science examina- tions at crime scenes and within laboratories.
Cognitive bias can take many forms, including confirmation bias, whereby people test hypoth- eses by looking for confirming evidence rather than for potentially conflicting evidence. There are also ‘role effects’, where scientists identify themselves as part of either the prosecution or defence teams.
The ‘most powerful means of safeguarding’ against that, the guidance says, is to ensure that the practitioner conducting the analysis only has information about the case that is relevant to the analysis.
However, it accepts that case assessment, targeting and interpretation may be hampered without relevant information. And it warns that risks are higher when practitioners are inexperi- enced, unmonitored and left to adopt their own approach, and when checking is less rigorous and/or conducted collaboratively.
The leading expert in cognitive bias, Dr Itiel Dror, senior cognitive neuroscience researcher at UCL, has held workshops for senior judges, while laboratories and police forces are starting to provide their forensic examiners with cogni- tive training.
He stresses that this is not an ethical issue – ‘experts are not letting this happen intentionally’ – but they must try to minimise the risk of cognitive contamination as they do physical contamination. ‘By telling an expert there is a suspect, for instance, the expert then works from the suspect to the evidence and not from the evidence to the suspect,’hetoldtherecentBondSolonexpert witness conference.
However, he said lawyers like to give informa- tion to experts. ‘To be honest, they don’t want your opinion, they are building a case and they want to recruit you,’ he said.
‘I did a case where the lawyers wanted me to get involved. I explained why I didn’t want the information but they forgot accidentally and sent me irrelevant information. I didn’t need to know the details of the rape or that the person had been charged before. I am not accusing them of intentionally trying to manipulate me but, regardless, they contaminated me.’
https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/download?ac=15591
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 09:02:14 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #280 on: April 14, 2019, 09:03:58 PM »
“There is a risk that the objectivity and impartiality of forensic science experts is being undermined by cognitive bias, according to new guidance from the Forensic Science Regulator Dr Gill Tully (pictured). This raises important issues for both prosecutors and defence practitioners.
Cognitive bias – subconscious personal bias – has been seen as a potential issue within criminal justice systems since the 1970s. But it is now being red-flagged after some high-profile cases, including false-positive fingerprint identifications, brought the issue into sharp relief.
Countering the risks has significant consequences for the way experts work with the police and prosecutors. It also opens up potential challenges for defence practitioners, who have been criticised in the past for not challenging expert evidence robustly enough.
The guidance, published as an appendix to the regulator’s codes of practice and conduct, sets out examples of good practice in specific subject areas associated with forensic science examina- tions at crime scenes and within laboratories.
Cognitive bias can take many forms, including confirmation bias, whereby people test hypoth- eses by looking for confirming evidence rather than for potentially conflicting evidence. There are also ‘role effects’, where scientists identify themselves as part of either the prosecution or defence teams.
The ‘most powerful means of safeguarding’ against that, the guidance says, is to ensure that the practitioner conducting the analysis only has information about the case that is relevant to the analysis.
However, it accepts that case assessment, targeting and interpretation may be hampered without relevant information. And it warns that risks are higher when practitioners are inexperi- enced, unmonitored and left to adopt their own approach, and when checking is less rigorous and/or conducted collaboratively.
The leading expert in cognitive bias, Dr Itiel Dror, senior cognitive neuroscience researcher at UCL, has held workshops for senior judges, while laboratories and police forces are starting to provide their forensic examiners with cogni- tive training.
He stresses that this is not an ethical issue – ‘experts are not letting this happen intentionally’ – but they must try to minimise the risk of cognitive contamination as they do physical contamination. ‘By telling an expert there is a suspect, for instance, the expert then works from the suspect to the evidence and not from the evidence to the suspect,’hetoldtherecentBondSolonexpert witness conference.
However, he said lawyers like to give informa- tion to experts. ‘To be honest, they don’t want your opinion, they are building a case and they want to recruit you,’ he said.
‘I did a case where the lawyers wanted me to get involved. I explained why I didn’t want the information but they forgot accidentally and sent me irrelevant information. I didn’t need to know the details of the rape or that the person had been charged before. I am not accusing them of intentionally trying to manipulate me but, regardless, they contaminated me.’
https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/download?ac=15591

Just as the CCRC have done in many cases they have been involved with imo.

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #281 on: April 14, 2019, 11:53:18 PM »
“The former Met detective who led the murder inquiry, Hamish Campbell, is resistant to the idea that the police “scapegoated” George or that he was “stitched up” by the police — indeed, he told the BBC documentary makers he finds the suggestion offensive. Campbell was a cautious officer who constantly reminded himself, in his own logs, which I have seen, to “beware of making things fit”.

As far as Campbell was concerned, it was not personal, it was about evidence. There was, he concluded, sufficient circumstantial evidence to arrest George and, on CPS advice, to charge him with murder. After that, it was up to the jury. Campbell accepts the verdict of the retrial. He does not accept that the police were wrong to inquire into George
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/who-killed-jill-dando-the-theories-and-impact-20-years-on-02fbh7vs7

David James Smith appears in the documentary Jill Dando: The Twenty Year Mystery, which will be on ITV at 9pm on April 25
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 11:56:40 PM by Nicholas »

Offline puglove

« Reply #282 on: April 15, 2019, 12:03:54 AM »
“The former Met detective who led the murder inquiry, Hamish Campbell, is resistant to the idea that the police “scapegoated” George or that he was “stitched up” by the police — indeed, he told the BBC documentary makers he finds the suggestion offensive. Campbell was a cautious officer who constantly reminded himself, in his own logs, which I have seen, to “beware of making things fit”.

As far as Campbell was concerned, it was not personal, it was about evidence. There was, he concluded, sufficient circumstantial evidence to arrest George and, on CPS advice, to charge him with murder. After that, it was up to the jury. Campbell accepts the verdict of the retrial. He does not accept that the police were wrong to inquire into George
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/who-killed-jill-dando-the-theories-and-impact-20-years-on-02fbh7vs7

David James Smith appears in the documentary Jill Dando: The Twenty Year Mystery, which will be on ITV at 9pm on April 25

The last thing I want to do is battle with you, Mistress of the Pass Ag, and you are a very clever cookie, but it was a clean, quick execution.
Jeremy Bamber kicked Mike Tesko in the fanny.

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #283 on: April 15, 2019, 12:25:36 AM »
Excerpts from Andy Rigsby’s blog

“The image of Barry George when he was released on appeal in 2008 was that of a victim. Slow and lumbering with his movements, his obese frame had an awkwardness. Dependent on help and support from friends, family and his legal team he was the very image of a miscarriage of justice, he certainly did not fit the profile of the murderer who would have swiftly escaped from the scene in 1999. At that time however, 39 year old Barry George was lighter and fitter, he looked completely different.

Despite being diagnosed with a host of disabling mental conditions he was extremely ambitious. Burdened with learning difficulties his schooling was a frustrating and unsuccessful period in his life. To escape this dull reality he moved into his own fantasies adopting pseudonyms associated with glamourous rock stars and masculine real life hero’s which he would to link to fictitious careers

He had unsuccessfully tried to join the police force in 1980 but he passed selection to join the Territorial Army in the same year, (but was released before completing his training in 1981). He would up to that point have received some weapon training. He then tried to pursue a film stunt career. He continued an interest in firearms and shooting and had attempted to secure full membership with a London gun club but was unsuccessful. Clearly his mental illness issues were stopping him from ultimately succeeding but they weren’t preventing him from trying. He had sufficient cognitive aptitude and orientation to focus on and pursue his interests.

When Barry George was convicted in 2001 the jury were unaware that he had a history of extreme violence towards women. In 1981 he was given a suspended sentence for indecent assault. In 1983 he was sentenced to 33 months in prison for attempted rape, he served 18 months. In May 1989 he married a Japanese student, Itsuko Toide; it was a marriage of convenience but 4 months later he was arrested and charged for assaulting his wife. The charge was later dropped. They were divorced in April 1990. Itsuko described their relationship as “violent and terrifying“

I visited Fulham on the 27th February 2019. It was a bright spring like day. The vicinity could be described as a pleasant London suburb. Gowan Avenue in particular, has an elegant exclusive air, the Victorian terraced properties are all well maintained. The Avenue is adorned with a mixture of expensive and tidy vehicles. The relevant neighbouring locations, Crookham Avenue and Greswell Street are surprisingly close. Whilst this was made accurately apparent in media reports, actually being there really does make a difference to your viewpoint.

When Barry George turned up at HAFAD on the morning of the murder he was a wearing a yellow top, blue jeans and carrying a carrier bag full of written material. The perpetrator however was a described as wearing a dark jacket. George’s defence maintained that if he was the killer he would have gone home to Crookham Road, changed, picked up the carrier bag and used a route to Greswell Street sensibly avoiding Gowan Avenue. They decided this would take 28 minutes and that did not include changing clothes. This would mean that if he had committed the murder at 11:30 a.m. he could not have got to the HAFAD at or before 11:50 a.m. On that basis they argued he could not possibly have committed the crime.

I tried the route adding just 1 minute to change a top and pick up a bag. Turning left away from Jill Dando’s property at number 29 and backtracking along the next available right turns, Sidbury Street and Wardo Avenue to sweep back to Crookham Road and then routing back towards Greswell avoiding Gowan took 21.5 minutes. Turning left initially and then turning back along the other side of Gowan Avenue to Crookham Road and then the same avoiding route to Greswell took 18.5 minutes. That was all at a brisk walk with no adrenalin assist and I’m 63 not 39. If George chose to jog at every street crossing, (not an odd action in normal circumstances), the time would be even less. I did exactly this on another visit and completed the full route in 20 mins.

Jill Dando laid dead or dying for at least 5 minutes before she was found. That is a massive amount of time for George to decide on an escape route even if the initial period was a frantic and confused moment in time. It was also merged with an element of pure luck. It could have been completely different. Nobody did a thing for at least 5 MINUTES. A brisk to fast walking pace is 4 mph / 6.5 Km hr. In that time the George could have covered over 500 metres, that is a long way.

A court of appeal and an ordered retrial found him not guilty in 2008 by a unanimous verdict. Could he have done it however. His defence always maintained he didn’t have a motive, desire, a weapon or the physical and mental prowess to execute such a plan. Some years ago, a work colleague of mine, himself an ex-convict turned writer totally convinced me that Barry George could not have been at the HAFAD in Greswell Street at the given time if he had been the perpetrator. I read some narratives supporting this and I firmly believed it. When I physically researched it myself, I found these well courted “hard facts” to be completely false, the routes and timings were entirely possible

This murder remains a cruel mystery, a much loved and admired TV personality brutally slain in front of her property for a reason only known to her killer. Perhaps we convicted the right man, perhaps we didn’t. No one else has ever come into the frame, no hard intelligence, no reliable informers, no twisted political statement, no bloodthirsty underworld warning, no sick perverted claim. Nobody has ever been able to claim the substantial reward; nothing. The press courted with the professional hitman. So many could not accept her death being perpetrated so randomly by a local loner

Michelle Diskin Bates has gone on to become a standard bearer for miscarriages of justice. We don’t need her to misdirect justice, however. Her credibility has recently taken a U turn; she has taken on the “plight” of the mass murderer Jeremy Bamber. She is now a respected “patron” and part of his naïve campaign team. Jeremy Bamber was convicted in 1986 for shooting to death his mother, father, sister and his two 6 year old nephews. Initially an inquest concluded it was his sister, Sheila Caffell who carried out the murders; Bamber had successfully made it look like a murder suicide. He fooled enough people initially but was eventually caught out. Hugely frustrated he has always insisted on his innocence.

If you don’t closely study the circumstances you would feel sorry for this suave, articulate and very convincing psychopath.

Michelle has been drawn in, perhaps a little intoxicated with her well founded reputation. She has accepted the part without reading the script. That is surely dangerous ground. Please see my blog – Murders at Whitehouse Farm.

Towards the end of my first visit to Fulham I walked into Bishops Park to find the small café there. A young man was walking towards me. Sporting a white T- shirt, we could all reflect on the script which read,

“Don’t believe everything you think”.

Read in full here - http://gunfire-graffiti.co.uk/who-didnt-kill-jill-dando/
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 10:40:37 AM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #284 on: April 15, 2019, 12:52:43 AM »
Courtesy of Andy Rigsby’s blog “Who didn’t kill Jill Dando”

“There were no witnesses to the actual murder, but locals and neighbours provided statements linked to a variety of sightings that were thought to be related to what was noticed before and after the killing. Jill Dando was found between 5 -14 minutes, (estimates vary), after she was attacked lying at the foot of her front door by a passer-by

Speculation about a criminal underworld hit or an internationally driven assassination was suggested because of Jill Dando’s association with BBC Crimewatch. The media surmised that it was a “professional hit”.

As the official investigation progressed it was eventually concluded to be the exact opposite, a disjointed opportunity attack

The investigation could not help to be influenced by media speculation which favoured a so called hitman. Like JFK and Princess Diana, an insignificant gunman and an incompetent driver were too simplistic to contemplate,  the initial media vacuums groomed conspiracy and wild speculation.

The killer had either waited in ambush on chance and or was frequenting the location as she arrived home. He had no escape route, he merely walked off down Gowan Avenue, no witness can recall seeing anyone get into a car and being driven off. Circumstances could have been different. A witness could have seen the murder take place and come face to face with the killer. He got away not by guile and planning but by swift actions and sheer luck. It would seem the killer had acted alone, and he disappeared into the community streets and avenues. The murder weapon was never recovered.

If Jill Dando was killed by a so called professional who would have been highly mobile, Gowan Avenue was the worst choice of location. Her partners home in Chiswick would have been far easier to identify and log her movement routine. A local, close to Gowan Avenue however and without transport would have the time to loiter and plot for, days, weeks, months. If Jill Dando had been approached by nothing more threatening than a busy autograph hunter where would they have chosen to wait for her.