Author Topic: Barry George revisited.  (Read 170894 times)

Offline John

Re: Barry George revisited.
« Reply #405 on: April 24, 2019, 12:55:38 PM »
Why do you think his sister makes excuses for and plays down her brothers deplorable behaviours?

As his sister, Michelle is naturally protective towards him given his mental disabilities.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #406 on: April 24, 2019, 12:58:39 PM »
As his sister, Michelle is naturally protective towards him given his mental disabilities.

So it’s quite plausible then she’s covering for him?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 02:12:03 PM by Nicholas »
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #407 on: April 24, 2019, 01:05:25 PM »
Laterally however, he involving himself in stalking which led to some really nasty conduct towards women which must be rightly deplored, his sister's attempts to play down those incidents was wrong IMO.

Could the motive for the murder have stemmed in some way from Barry George’s irrational deep seated hatred of women?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 01:10:47 PM by Nicholas »
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #408 on: April 24, 2019, 01:15:54 PM »
“Miscarriages of Justice Organisation - the Appeal of Barry George

The Appeal of Barry George, convicted last July of the murder of TV Presenter Jill Dando, will be heard on Monday July 15th, in Court 4 at Royal Courts of Justice. The Lord Chief Justice will preside over the Appeal proceedings.

MOJO has grave concerns over the safety of the conviction of Mr. George, having supported Barry and his family throughout the trial process and through to this Appeal.

Mr. Georges defence team, led by Michael Mansfield QC will challenge the identification and scientific evidence which was presented by the Crown at the trial.

The prosecution sought to turn non-identifications into positive identifications thereby turning totally negative evidence into positive evidence - an approach which conflicts with the background of the safeguards of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act procedures for identification parades, and the Codes of Practice governing them.

This will be an important principle for future cases where similar identification evidence becomes an issue. An important fact to bear in mind is always the inherent danger that this type of evidence greatly increases the real risk of a miscarriage of justice.

Similarly, the appeal will look closeley at the scientific issues and question the provenance of such evidence going before a jury. Contamination, police exhibit procedures and the integrity of the vital exhibit will be re-examined.

This Appeal will reveal the pollution of justice that has ocurred in this case and will demonstrate the exceptional efforts that have been made to identify them. Anyone who has a genuine interest in the administration of fair justice should follow the Appeal closely. There are lessons to be learned, MOJO has been educated and we consider we have been privileged to be able to offer our service and support to Mr. George, his family and the defence team.

As with all similar cases, our thoughts must also lie at this time, with the family of Jill Dando for whom these proceedings will be a painful reminder of their tragic loss. "Justice for Jill" is important to everyone.

Miscarriages of Justice Organisation

http://mojo.freehosting.net/
http://www.mojuk.org.uk/bulletins/barry.html

Barry George’s uncle states:
“I was quite correctly described as being estranged from the main George camp for suggesting that the MOJO outfit might be self-serving.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 01:19:01 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #409 on: April 24, 2019, 01:22:50 PM »
Where is Barry George in 2019?

“George gave an interview to the Mirror in July 2018. The newspaper reports that George had been living in Hackney, in East London, after his release, when a "chilling threat" was made against him. George told the Mirror: "When I was in emergency accommodation in Hackney, I was stood in a long hallway and I had a gun put to my head and was told ‘Watch your back’." After this incident, George "fled to live in Ireland in 2009, saying he feared for his life and was being subjected to police harassment," the Mirror writes.

George's sister Michelle Diskin Bates published her book Stand Against Justice in October 2018, in which she revealed that her brother was still living in Ireland, due to "constant hounding from the tabloids” according to the Irish Telegraph.
https://www.bustle.com/p/where-is-barry-george-in-2019-after-his-conviction-was-overturned-he-left-the-uk-17001469

Previously however, Michael Bourke states that Michelle said in an email to David, “that Barry was the victim of a media-driven plot designed to smear and intimidate him.

Delusions of grandeur maybe or a simple case of paranoia?

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #410 on: April 24, 2019, 01:46:07 PM »
Laterally however, he involving himself in stalking which led to some really nasty conduct towards women which must be rightly deplored, his sister's attempts to play down those incidents was wrong IMO..

What do you make of all those individuals (And organisations) who have involved themselves in this case - or given their opinion via media outlets, and who clearly at one time or another have their own personal agendas; other than showing bias?

Here’s one for example:

Charles Shoebridge
In any criminal trial the prosecution must prove its case beyond reasonable doubt - the jury has to be sure of guilt. While Michael Mansfield's suggestion of the evidence against his client being non-existent was not completely true, it was surely true enough to create the doubt necessary for an acquittal.

“Immediately following the original trial, the crown prosecution service (CPS) described the verdict as having vindicated their prosecution decision. While correct, such a statement suggested that, even within the CPS, doubts had existed as to whether the case should been brought to trial at all.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/jul/29/jilldando1

Sky News yesterday denied that it had cowered under pressure from the police by pulling a high profile security expert off the air, who claims he was the target of a victimisation campaign by the Metropolitan police.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2005/mar/17/tvnews.broadcasting

Where’s Charles Shoebridge got this from? “such a statement suggested that, even within the CPS, doubts had existed as to whether the case should been brought to trial at all
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 02:03:01 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #411 on: April 24, 2019, 02:05:24 PM »
Previously however, Michael Bourke states that Michelle said in an email to David, “that Barry was the victim of a media-driven plot designed to smear and intimidate him.

Delusions of grandeur maybe or a simple case of paranoia?

media driven plot designed to smear and intimidate

Interesting projection

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #412 on: April 24, 2019, 03:16:15 PM »
@Nicholas

You still appear to believe that Barry George was capable of shooting someone and being clever enough to get away with it despite no evidence whatsoever that he was in any way involved.  Can I ask why?
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #413 on: April 24, 2019, 04:41:14 PM »
@Nicholas
despite no evidence whatsoever that he was in any way involved.

Explain what you mean by “no evidence whatsoever?”

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 04:57:16 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #414 on: April 24, 2019, 04:44:17 PM »
@Nicholas

You still appear to believe that Barry George was capable of shooting someone

I once wrongly believed him incapable of the murder

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 04:58:07 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #415 on: April 24, 2019, 04:45:56 PM »
@Nicholas

You still appear to believe that Barry George was capable of shooting someone and being clever enough to get away with it

He didn’t get away with it. He was eventually apprehended and convicted.

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #416 on: April 24, 2019, 07:22:21 PM »
Where is Barry George in 2019?

“George gave an interview to the Mirror in July 2018. The newspaper reports that George had been living in Hackney, in East London, after his release, when a "chilling threat" was made against him. George told the Mirror: "When I was in emergency accommodation in Hackney, I was stood in a long hallway and I had a gun put to my head and was told ‘Watch your back’." After this incident, George "fled to live in Ireland in 2009, saying he feared for his life and was being subjected to police harassment," the Mirror writes.

George's sister Michelle Diskin Bates published her book Stand Against Justice in October 2018, in which she revealed that her brother was still living in Ireland, due to "constant hounding from the tabloids” according to the Irish Telegraph.
https://www.bustle.com/p/where-is-barry-george-in-2019-after-his-conviction-was-overturned-he-left-the-uk-17001469

Scott Lomax:
“When Miss Dando was shot less than half a mile from where he lived, and when the police provided a description of the man they were hunting that matched the appearance of George, then he expected the police to turn up at his home at any time. He told people that he feared ‘they’ would blame him for Miss Dando’s murder. After all, this would explain why George felt he had to verify his movements on the day of the murder. He told the police “I went back there basically to account for my movements so if a situation did come up, I could address it to my solicitor.” The jury no doubt wondered why a man could be worried that the police would approach him. However, they were not at all aware of his paranoia and the fact that he had been interviewed in connection with a murder he had no involvement in. http://www.libertarian.co.uk/lapubs/legan/legan040.htm

Michelle Diskin Bates:
“This was not paranoia. Barry had been pulled in by the police for the 1992 murder of Rachel Nickell, before the police and the Criminal Profiler Paul Britton set their nets for Colin Stagg.
“Barry knew he would not be able to recall the details of that momentous day and that, as one of the local characters in Fulham, the police would be likely to want to speak with him.

“The Gerry Ryan Show wasn’t the only interview I agreed to do during this aftermath period. There were two documentaries produced for Channel 4 television, both of which discredited the evidence that had been used to convict Barry. I took part in the first of these, which was made shortly after Barry’s conviction and when I was still terrified of the media and the power it could wield. Add to that Barry’s paranoia, and his angry protests that I should not speak to anyone, TV or otherwise, it’s understandable that I had to be persuaded over and over that this was in Barry’s interest and not against him before I would co-operate.
The second was made by the same producer, James Cohen and his team, to coincide with Barry’s second appeal in 2007. BBC’s Panorama with Raphael Rowe also made a documentary at this time, managing to get admonished by the judiciary for their timing; it aired before the court sitting! These were all very important documentary works clearly pointing to a miscarriage of justice in Barry’s case.

”Spin is a form of propaganda, achieved through knowingly providing a biased interpretation of an event or campaigning to persuade public opinion in favor or against some organization or public figure.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_(propaganda)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 08:42:27 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #417 on: April 24, 2019, 07:56:39 PM »
My own view of this case is that SY and the CPS should rightly be embarrassed by what went on.

Who was the media’s source for the stories?

June 2006
"Exclusive: Dando evidence hyped up," said the Mirror. The Mail on Sunday revealed "the 100-page report that could set Jill Dando 'killer' free". And the Express offered: "We reveal why the disturbed loner could have been jailed for a crime committed by a Serbian gunman."

How times change. The Mirror's headline on 3 July 2001, after Barry George was convicted of murdering the BBC presenter, was a full-blooded "Jill's mad assassin"; the Mail went for "Beauty and the Beast" and the Sun gave us "He tried to kill Di too". Oops.

Of course, it is not the fault of the newspapers if the courts can’t be trusted to get decisions right. They just did what papers do. Having dutifully sat on some lurid (if ancient) material about George right through the trial, they unleashed it the moment the jury said “guilty” - photos of him with guns and a gas mask, a 20-year-old attempted rape conviction, an arrest outside Kensington Palace and more.

Today, though, the case seems to have the makings of one of those Private Eye apologies: "Any impression we may have given in the past that Mr George was anything other than a law-abiding citizen unjustifiably caught up in a web of flimsy circumstantial evidence was entirely unintentional . . ."

But there is more to this than watching tabloids trip up. If George wins the second appeal he has been granted (and for legal reasons the odds are probably still against him), there will be strong grounds for looking closely at the contribution the media made to a notoriously dubious conviction. And the contribution of his campaign team !

This included the most flagrant breaches of the Contempt of Court Act - breaches that government law officers blithely ignored. The law says that no information which might prejudice a future jury against a suspect is supposed to be published once legal proceedings are active - for example, after an arrest has been made. What about the Panorama programme, MOJO, Michelle Diskin’s interviews etc?

Yet for three days after George was taken into custody in May 2000, papers were pumping out material about the weird loner and hypochondriac who lived in squalor, supposedly idolised Princess Diana and pretended alternately that he was an SAS veteran and Freddie Mercury’s cousin. The vilification only stopped after he was charged.

This was damaging enough for a man accused of killing one of the most famous and popular women in the country, but the context made the impact on George’s defence all the greater.

Just a month before the arrest, the BBC's Crimewatch UK (on which Dando had worked) had interviewed the detective in charge of the investigation, Chief Inspector Hamish Campbell.

More than he had ever done in the year since the murder, Campbell focused in this interview on the likelihood that the killer was “someone who is emotionally isolated”, someone with an “obsession with women” and someone who knew about guns.

Not rocket science, you may say, except that the official picture had always previously been clouded by the evidence of professionalism in the killing - the apparent knowledge of Dando's complex movements, the single shot to the head and the swift escape all seemed to imply coolness rather than obsession. In that live Crimewatch interview on 19 April 2000 (which took place just one day after his officers had conducted their first search of Barry George's home), Campbell finally ceased to keep all his options open and instead put his money on the killer being an obsessed loner with a knowledge of guns.

A month later George was in custody and the press was pumping out evidence that he was a loner fixated on celebrities such as Diana, and claiming a military past - in other words, exactly the sort of man we had been told the police were looking for.

The legal test for a contempt of court is that there must be “a substantial risk of serious prejudice”. Three senior judges, at trial and appeal, have ruled that there was no such risk in the Barry George case. I find that baffling.
https://www.newstatesman.com/media/2007/06/barry-george-loner-conviction
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 08:43:18 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #418 on: April 25, 2019, 07:24:52 AM »
Laterally however, he involving himself in stalking which led to some really nasty conduct towards women which must be rightly deplored, his sister's attempts to play down those incidents was wrong IMO..

“Asked about his record of violence against women including convictions for indecent assault and attempted rape, she said: 'I said, "How on earth could you do such a thing, you have a mother, you have a sister, how could you think that that was acceptable?" It was not acceptable. And he just knew.
'He couldn't go to each person and say it to them, but he did apologise.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6957439/My-conscience-clear-Jill-Dandos-murder-says-Barry-George.html

WHY did he do it?

WHAT triggered him to act this way? Not once but several times? WHAT were the risk factors?

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #419 on: April 25, 2019, 07:30:27 AM »
“Asked about his record of violence against women including convictions for indecent assault and attempted rape, she said: 'I said, "How on earth could you do such a thing, you have a mother, you have a sister, how could you think that that was acceptable?" It was not acceptable. And he just knew.
'He couldn't go to each person and say it to them, but he did apologise.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6957439/My-conscience-clear-Jill-Dandos-murder-says-Barry-George.html

WHY did he do it?

WHAT triggered him to act this way? Not once but several times that we know of. WHAT were the risk factors?

“Asked if he thinks there are people out there who still think he is responsible for the television presenter's murder, George said: 'There are probably a select few people who may think, "Okay, he's been through the case. He's got off on a technicality, probably, or whatever." But my conscience was clear - I knew I hadn't done it.'

WHAT level of consciousness does he posses; if any? WHAT did his brain scans show? What are his alleged 2 personality disorders?

From Stand Against Injustice:
“It was during this period that Barry was finally diagnosed with a spectrum of disabling conditions, thanks to the skills of this team of professionals. Along with Attention Deficit Disorder–he was no longer hyperactive–it was found that he has Asperger’s Syndrome, acquired frontal-lobe brain damage affecting his short-term memory, as well as a learning difficulty and two personality disorders.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18162637
https://www.psychologicalscience.org/news/were-only-human/the-cluelessness-of-the-psychopath.html
https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/blame-the-amygdala/201605/anosognosia-psychopathy-and-the-conscience
https://psychcentral.com/lib/neuroscience-sheds-light-on-why-people-with-aspergers-syndrome-lack-empathy/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3826592/#!po=57.4074
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 08:20:53 AM by Nicholas »