Author Topic: Is Boris’s Lax Leadership Putting Us All in Danger ?  (Read 109533 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Is Boris’s Lax Leadership Putting Us All in Danger ?
« Reply #750 on: May 18, 2020, 11:33:47 AM »
I expect that this will offend all of you of whichever persuasion (soz).

I have family and friends who were originally in favour of the "Rule Britannia" brexitmania rhetoric, nearly all of whom would have later voted differently if the likely alternative hadn't been... Corbyn.

IMO, there should have been clear and factual information on the short- and long-term implications of Brexit (cf Ireland), as opposed to unfounded political slogans (seemingly developed by powerful lobbies) stirring up irrational fears and a false sense of exceptionalism.

You giving your opinion doesn't offend me. I happen to think Brexit was necessary and we will long term be far better off for it. Just a shame we joined in the first place

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #751 on: May 18, 2020, 11:35:55 AM »

I saw that. I'm trying to work out what the issues are. Data protection is an issue, but so is functionality. Bluetooth switches off, normally.

A different issue is that the Civil Service is somehow going to have to also recruit and train ~50k people to deal with customs compliance due to what is looking increasingly like a no-deal or bare-bones Brexit...

The UK only has 6 weeks left to request an extension. IMO, even the Raving Loony Party would have asked for one.

The UK and the EU will never agree a deal.... No deal is the only solution

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #752 on: May 18, 2020, 11:44:39 AM »

I saw that. I'm trying to work out what the issues are. Data protection is an issue, but so is functionality. Bluetooth switches off, normally.

A different issue is that the Civil Service is somehow going to have to also recruit and train ~50k people to deal with customs compliance due to what is looking increasingly like a no-deal or bare-bones Brexit...

The UK only has 6 weeks left to request an extension. IMO, even the Raving Loony Party would have asked for one.

I read last week that the government was trying to recruit unpaid volunteers to do some of the tracking work. While volunteering is to be commended, training individuals with no previous experience of the procedures involved must be fraught with problems, especially in the timescale we need.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Carana

« Reply #753 on: May 18, 2020, 11:44:50 AM »
i think 2017 was a wake up call to the Uk public....and by 2019 voters understood more what acrackpot Corbyn was

IMO, Corbyn lives in an ideological time warp that wouldn't work in the 21st  century.
At the other extreme, there are powerful right-wing lobbies which only defend their own interests.

The 21st century needs to be better than this. For the sake of our elderly and vulnerable, ourselves, and for our kids.

Offline Carana

« Reply #754 on: May 18, 2020, 11:45:26 AM »
The UK and the EU will never agree a deal.... No deal is the only solution

The solution to... what?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #755 on: May 18, 2020, 11:45:50 AM »
The solution to... what?
The only way we can leave

Offline Carana

« Reply #756 on: May 18, 2020, 11:51:00 AM »
You giving your opinion doesn't offend me. I happen to think Brexit was necessary and we will long term be far better off for it. Just a shame we joined in the first place

Why was it a bad idea to join? And what are the advantages of leaving?

Offline Carana

« Reply #757 on: May 18, 2020, 11:53:01 AM »

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #758 on: May 18, 2020, 11:55:59 AM »
IMO, Corbyn lives in an ideological time warp that wouldn't work in the 21st  century.
At the other extreme, there are powerful right-wing lobbies which only defend their own interests.

The 21st century needs to be better than this. For the sake of our elderly and vulnerable, ourselves, and for our kids.

I’m afraid if this country continues to vote for rightwing, market driven Conservative governments while dismissing as ideologically redundant a party who believe in a fairer society lead by the needs of the electorate rather than the markets then there is little chance of the 21st century we both hope for. 
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline Carana

« Reply #759 on: May 18, 2020, 12:04:26 PM »
Whichever side you're on on the Brexit issue, it's far more than trade agreements over accepting steroid beef and chlorinated chicken.

What about Europol, including swift access to DNA results?
Manufacturing, with in-time supply chains dependent on agreements?
Common medical research?
Qualifications no longer considered equivalent?

What about the Ireland situation?

There are around 700+ issues to deal with, not just trade.

Offline Carana

« Reply #760 on: May 18, 2020, 12:09:27 PM »
I’m afraid if this country continues to vote for rightwing, market driven Conservative governments while dismissing as ideologically redundant a party who believe in a fairer society lead by the needs of the electorate rather than the markets then there is little chance of the 21st century we both hope for.

IMO, Obama (no Bernie Saunders) found the right balance: he managed to get the country out of the economic mess he inherited while also pushing for reform for the vulnerable.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #761 on: May 18, 2020, 12:17:50 PM »
IMO, Obama (no Bernie Saunders) found the right balance: he managed to get the country out of the economic mess he inherited while also pushing for reform for the vulnerable.

Even under Obama there was a huge amount of inequality across America.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #762 on: May 18, 2020, 12:19:19 PM »
Why was it a bad idea to join? And what are the advantages of leaving?
Very very briefly... But of utmost importance... Cameron went to the EU to negotiate some concessions... He was badly related and sent on his way...
When the UK joined the EU no one  knew what a monster it would turn into

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #763 on: May 18, 2020, 12:20:40 PM »
Whichever side you're on on the Brexit issue, it's far more than trade agreements over accepting steroid beef and chlorinated chicken.

What about Europol, including swift access to DNA results?
Manufacturing, with in-time supply chains dependent on agreements?
Common medical research?
Qualifications no longer considered equivalent?

What about the Ireland situation?

There are around 700+ issues to deal with, not just trade.

And what progress on these 700 issues has been made in the previous YEARS... why should we expect progress now

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #764 on: May 18, 2020, 12:22:57 PM »
Very very briefly... But of utmost importance... Cameron went to the EU to negotiate some concessions... He was badly related and sent on his way...
When the UK joined the EU no one  knew what a monster it would turn into

Cameron was bounced into a referendum by the Eurosceptics in his party. It would have mad3 no difference what theEU had offered.