Author Topic: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.  (Read 220922 times)

Offline misty

Re: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.
« Reply #210 on: August 30, 2017, 01:22:22 PM »
http://portugalresident.com/tears-of-joy-as-algarve-british-pro-consul-awarded-mbe

It was with tears of joy that Angela Morado, British Pro Consul at the British Vice Consulate in Portimão, received her Honorary MBE this week in recognition of her “significant contribution to relations between the United Kingdom and Portugal”.

The ceremony was held on Tuesday (August 29) at the Tivoli Marina Hotel.

The distinction was awarded by Her Majesty The Queen and presented to Morado by British Ambassador to Portugal Kirsty Hayes.

“I’m so honoured. I’m completely over the moon,” Morado told a crowd of friends, family and other British dignitaries including the British Vice Consul in Portimão, Clive Jewell, the president of foreign residents’ association afpop, Michael Reeve, and the president of Safe Communities Portugal, David Thomas.

After nearly 30 years of working at the consulate, Morado said she is still surprised that she gets paid to “help people that really need help”.

“The FCO is a great organisation to work for, and my colleagues are always there to support me,” the 49-year-old said, adding: “I couldn’t see myself doing anything else.”

Ambassador Kirsty Hayes had some words of praise for Morado, who is also known in the Algarve for her work and dedication as an animal rescue volunteer. Hayes described her as a “person that is as wonderful on the inside as she is on the outside”.

“Angie has handled many important consular cases, always treating each person as an individual,” she said, adding how often Morado is “praised for her work”.

“She has a seemingly endless supply of empathy, and spends a lot of time helping many animal charities in Portimão,” the Ambassador added.

Angela Morado was born in South Africa but has worked at the British Vice Consulate in Portimão for nearly 30 years.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #211 on: September 07, 2017, 01:25:03 PM »
One doctor and three delegates of medical information held for corruption and mockery of the NHS
07 SEPTEMBER 2017

PJ's operation took place in the Greater Lisbon and Algarve areas. Detained are three men and one woman

The PJ detained a doctor and three delegates of medical information for corruption, falsification of document and qualified derision to the National Health Service (SNS), and the operation took place in the areas of Greater Lisbon and Algarve, police said Thursday.

The detainees, three men and one woman, aged 57, 50, 42 and 38, will undergo a first judicial interrogation to apply coercive measures.

According to PJ, detainees passed medication prescriptions in violation of applicable legislation, through the acceptance of patrimonial advantages. They aimed at the misappropriation of the reimbursement of medicines, at the expense of the NHS, by several thousand euros.

The "Operation Paperless Revenue" involved several searches and one of the detainees had in their possession a prohibited weapon.

The investigation was carried out by the National Anti-Corruption Unit of the PJ.
http://www.dn.pt/sociedade/interior/um-medico-e-tres-delegados-de-informacao-medica-detidos-pela-pj-por-corrupcao-e-burla-8754073.html?utm_source=Push&utm_medium=Web
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #212 on: November 25, 2017, 07:17:10 AM »

For the geographically challenged it's the white bit.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline John

« Reply #213 on: November 26, 2017, 11:42:24 PM »
Please note that this thread relates to news and CURRENT affairs from the Portuguese ALGARVE. The operative words being current and Algarve. TY
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 11:44:59 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #214 on: November 28, 2017, 12:13:17 PM »
There is a yellow weather alert out for the Algarve because of thunder and lightning incoming from the west.

The leading edge of the bad weather is predicted to arrive around 6 PM today.  NB It looks like central Portugal has already had heavy rain for some time, but it is dry here, there is no wind, and there is still some sunshine.

The graphic attached needs little explanation.  Hoje = today.  Amanhã = tomorrow.  The graphic is for 9 PM today, when the storm should have reached Lagos and places further east.  It should clear up again by 12 noon tomorrow.

I have a grandson who makes pocket money by walking dogs in the early morning for a local kennel.  He does not have any wet weather gear, so if it is still stormy around 9 AM, either the dog-walking is off or he's going to get wet.

This is the first storm of the season.  The year has been abnormally hot and dry, hence the forest fires to the north of Lisbon, and many a reservoir is running on empty.  Winter is normally the rainy season, so farmers and the water companies will be quite pleased if we get a string of these storms.
What's up, old man?

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #215 on: November 28, 2017, 04:07:32 PM »
The rain, thunder and lightning arrived around 3:30 PM.

There are hills in the background.  It's just that you can't see them.

The electricity has gone off, again.  The house is 100% electricity - no gas - so everything is off.  I am working from PC battery power only.  With around 9 hours to go before the storm ends, I do not hold out much hope.

&^&*%
What's up, old man?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #216 on: November 29, 2017, 08:49:17 AM »
The rain, thunder and lightning arrived around 3:30 PM.

There are hills in the background.  It's just that you can't see them.

The electricity has gone off, again.  The house is 100% electricity - no gas - so everything is off.  I am working from PC battery power only.  With around 9 hours to go before the storm ends, I do not hold out much hope.

No need to envy you your weather today then.  ?{)(**
Result = happy posting.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #217 on: December 11, 2017, 12:47:43 AM »
Tempest Ana is currently 'ravaging' Portugal from roughly Lisbon to further up north.

When I say 'ravaging' it is of course relative.  The temperatures here are around 13C to 16C overnight, and it was actually quite a pleasant day today.

AFAIK, the issue is lots of rain and high winds in the north.  There are no thunderstorms predicted, although trees are already being blown over, with 1 fatality reported.

On the Algarve, it is currently very gentle rain, very light wind and warm enough.  That's just as well, because at exactly 3 minutes past midnight, our electricity went off yet again.

I have battery power on my PC and on my modem thingy, so my Internet is working.  Plus I have a solar-powered light and a couple of torches.

My BBQ is protected from the rain, so technically, I can make a cup of tea, albeit with extreme difficulty.

I can see I need to stock up with four candles, and something zippier to boil a brew.

(&^&

What's up, old man?

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #218 on: December 15, 2017, 07:25:37 PM »
Tempest Ana is currently 'ravaging' Portugal from roughly Lisbon to further up north.

When I say 'ravaging' it is of course relative.  The temperatures here are around 13C to 16C overnight, and it was actually quite a pleasant day today.

AFAIK, the issue is lots of rain and high winds in the north.  There are no thunderstorms predicted, although trees are already being blown over, with 1 fatality reported.

On the Algarve, it is currently very gentle rain, very light wind and warm enough.  That's just as well, because at exactly 3 minutes past midnight, our electricity went off yet again.

I have battery power on my PC and on my modem thingy, so my Internet is working.  Plus I have a solar-powered light and a couple of torches.

My BBQ is protected from the rain, so technically, I can make a cup of tea, albeit with extreme difficulty.

I can see I need to stock up with four candles, and something zippier to boil a brew.

(&^&
https://youtu.be/gi_6SaqVQSw
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Eleanor

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #220 on: January 02, 2018, 12:21:49 AM »
This is what those dastardly Algarvians get up to.

A cachalote (sperm whale) decided it wanted to get out of the sea to lie on the beach.  The folks thought 'stranded', so they lifted it back into the water.  AFAIK, the whale survived.

Then the helpers went on to get their New Year's Day dip in the Atlantic.  Eeek.  This was Monte Gordo near the border between the Algarve and Spain.  It is currently much warmer here in the Algarve.

But the 1st of January and a dip in the Atlantic is a no-no!   *&^^&

Here's a photo of the stranded sperm whale, as the Maritime Police and passers-by were getting it back into the sea.

What's up, old man?

Offline sadie

« Reply #221 on: January 02, 2018, 12:52:33 PM »
This is what those dastardly Algarvians get up to.

A cachalote (sperm whale) decided it wanted to get out of the sea to lie on the beach.  The folks thought 'stranded', so they lifted it back into the water.  AFAIK, the whale survived.

Then the helpers went on to get their New Year's Day dip in the Atlantic.  Eeek.  This was Monte Gordo near the border between the Algarve and Spain.  It is currently much warmer here in the Algarve.

But the 1st of January and a dip in the Atlantic is a no-no!   *&^^&

Here's a photo of the stranded sperm whale, as the Maritime Police and passers-by were getting it back into the sea.
I have every respect for the general Portuguese public ... and I have seen no reason for you to think that posters on here are any different to me.   Maybe you are seeing imo deserved criticism of certain members of the PJ as criticism of the Portuguese population.

Well done, all those guys who helped the stranded whale.  Hope it survived.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #222 on: January 07, 2018, 09:41:47 PM »

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #223 on: January 07, 2018, 10:51:56 PM »
Result = happy posting.