Author Topic: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.  (Read 220944 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.
« Reply #510 on: March 07, 2020, 07:38:59 AM »
https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/05/smokers-risk-catching-coronavirus-12354004/
As I alluded to earlier.
What makes me smile is that posters who claim to be open minded and evidence based show in reality they are the complete opposite.....they are simply willing to totally ignore the overwhelming evidence when it doesn't fit with their fixed mindset.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #511 on: March 07, 2020, 08:02:03 AM »
As I alluded to earlier.
What makes me smile is that posters who claim to be open minded and evidence based show in reality they are the complete opposite.....they are simply willing to totally ignore the overwhelming evidence when it doesn't fit with their fixed mindset.
This information will be dismissed as some sort of anti-smoking conspiracy by the elites, though quite what the elites stand to gain from people stopping this filthy habit I’m not entirely sure.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #512 on: March 07, 2020, 08:09:04 AM »
What's up, old man?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #513 on: March 07, 2020, 08:14:57 AM »
As I have said I am a lifelong non-smoker, should I waste time on this drivel?   *%87

The drivel is ignoring the overwhelming evidence and trying to pretend to that smoking doesn't cause an earlier death and multiple diseases. So no you shouldn't waste your time criticising those pointing out the truth

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #514 on: March 07, 2020, 08:32:45 AM »
As I have said I am a lifelong non-smoker, should I waste time on this drivel?   *%87
I thought you had family members who smoked?    BTW you are not the only person on this forum, I didn’t post it for your benefit. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Erngath

« Reply #515 on: March 07, 2020, 08:55:17 AM »

I'm also a life long non smoker but I worry a great deal about a loved family member who smokes
and will continue to point out any piece of "drivel" which may help to persuade him to stop the filthy habit.
Not hubby by the way.......And no one ever smokes in our home now.

ETA.
My mother was a heavy smoker and when she visited she did smoke in the house.
Most of the friend and family smokers have all stopped.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 09:33:37 AM by Erngath »
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #516 on: March 07, 2020, 09:35:57 AM »
I thought you had family members who smoked?    BTW you are not the only person on this forum, I didn’t post it for your benefit.

Perhaps you thought it.

I need to focus on things more related to MBM.

&^^&*
What's up, old man?

Offline sadie

« Reply #517 on: March 07, 2020, 07:59:01 PM »
Perhaps you thought it.

&^^&*

Afew posts back, SIL, you said that family members smoked.

Cancer can be 'assisted' by secondary smoking.  Breathing in the smoky fumes from other smakers breath.

My lovely cousin died at the age of 42, almost certainly caused by her Mothers' smoking ... and probably smoking work colleagues contributed to it too.

Let's hope that you are not affected.  Seems that you have done pretty well so far !

Not one of my close family smoked, but work colleagues smoked like chimneys.   Four of us in a tiny office.  Thank goodness that I was only there for a couple of months or so.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #518 on: March 07, 2020, 08:27:40 PM »
Perhaps you thought it.

&^^&*
” Most of my family smoked extensively “.  Your words.  Perhaps I thought what?

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #519 on: March 07, 2020, 09:05:56 PM »
” Most of my family smoked extensively “.  Your words.  Perhaps I thought what?

Past tense.  The ones who are now dead, just not of cancer.

If you take things out of context, you get what you deserve.   &^^&*
What's up, old man?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #520 on: March 07, 2020, 09:49:58 PM »
Past tense.  The ones who are now dead, just not of cancer.

If you take things out of context, you get what you deserve.   &^^&*
I’m glad to hear that noone in your living family smokes, it means you are all less likely to contact the coronavirus.  Now give me more of what I deserve.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #521 on: March 08, 2020, 12:28:42 AM »
I’m glad to hear that noone in your living family smokes, it means you are all less likely to contact the coronavirus.  Now give me more of what I deserve.

I take it you did not mean contact but instead meant contract.  And I'm not being pedantic. 

We have an extensive meeting scheduled with Mr Malinka on Monday morning.  Should we cancel it?

We are already putting into place a comprehensive contingency plan, in case things deteriorate.  We have even laid in Calpol in case Gonçalo catches it.  Seriously.

But the plan is geared around gathering intelligence in order that we can avoid coronavirus in the first place.  No contact means no contract.

We'll meet with Mr Malinka, because for the moment I rate this contact as zero risk.
What's up, old man?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #522 on: March 08, 2020, 08:28:14 AM »
I take it you did not mean contact but instead meant contract.  And I'm not being pedantic. 

We have an extensive meeting scheduled with Mr Malinka on Monday morning.  Should we cancel it?

We are already putting into place a comprehensive contingency plan, in case things deteriorate.  We have even laid in Calpol in case Gonçalo catches it.  Seriously.

But the plan is geared around gathering intelligence in order that we can avoid coronavirus in the first place.  No contact means no contract.

We'll meet with Mr Malinka, because for the moment I rate this contact as zero risk.
Enjoy your extensive meeting with Mr Malinka and make sure you don’t give Goncalo an overdose of Calpol - you don’t want him falling off the sofa to his death and you then having to find a suitable bin in which to dispose his body.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 11:03:31 PM by Vertigo Swirl »

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #523 on: March 08, 2020, 11:37:06 PM »
Enjoy your extensive meeting with Mr Malinka and make sure you don’t give Goncalo an overdose of Calpol - you don’t want him falling off the sofa to his death and you then having to find a suitable bin in which to dispose his body.

Bitter, jaundiced, semi-intelligible.

You sum yourself up perfectly.
What's up, old man?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #524 on: March 08, 2020, 11:46:05 PM »
Bitter, jaundiced, semi-intelligible.

You sum yourself up perfectly.
Not my words, The General’s ad homs, now endorsed by yourself.  Keep the abuse coming, you know I love it.