News and current affairs > A look at the news stories currently making the headlines.

Which will you be choosing this winter…?

(1/5) > >>

Venturi Swirl:
Heating or eating?

Venturi Swirl:
Is anyone having to make drastic changes to their lives in preparation for the oncoming energy and cost of living crisis this winter?  My fuel bill doubled this year to £200 a month and will double again by January to roughly a quarter of my monthly income.  Personally I feel I will have no option but to put my house in the market and move into a much smaller property though god knows what I will do with all my and my kids’ stuff.  I wouldn’t say I was a hoarder exactly but I do have lots of books, records, cds and other collections that I will really struggle to part with.   And yes, I have read that book about de cluttering your life by that Japanese woman and it didn’t help (apart from it’s the one book I don’t  mind taking to the charity shop).

Eleanor:

Living in France, I appear to be more fortunate than most.  I get an allocation from the local Food Bank due to my low income from The British State Pension.  And I get help from The French State with my electricity.  So I shall be Heating and Eating this coming Winter.

Sometimes it pays to be poor.

Venturi Swirl:

--- Quote from: Eleanor on August 10, 2022, 09:44:05 AM ---Living in France, I appear to be more fortunate than most.  I get an allocation from the local Food Bank due to my low income from The British State Pension.  And I get help from The French State with my electricity.  So I shall be Heating and Eating this coming Winter.

Sometimes it pays to be poor.

--- End quote ---
I guess.  My parents are poor pensioners (wholly reliant on state pension) and they are receiving I think around an extra £1000 this year towards their energy costs and the “cost of living crisis”.  I don’t think this is likely to cover the increase in their bills though.

Eleanor:

--- Quote from: Vertigo Swirl on August 10, 2022, 11:00:52 AM ---I guess.  My parents are poor pensioners (wholly reliant on state pension) and they are receiving I think around an extra £1000 this year towards their energy costs and the “cost of living crisis”.  I don’t think this is likely to cover the increase in their bills though.

--- End quote ---

I don't understand what is going on in England.  There is no shame here attached to Food Banks.  A lot of which is coming up Sell By Date stuff, donated by the Super Markets, which appears to finish up in bins in UK.  This of course is the real disgrace.

I don't know anything about Central Heating because I have never had any.  But I do tend to wear more clothes in Winter, which also get donated to The Food Banks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version