Poll

Should child killers face the death penalty in the UK?

Yes
1 (12.5%)
No
7 (87.5%)
Undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: December 09, 2016, 11:55:59 AM

Author Topic: Should child killers be executed in the UK?  (Read 3427 times)

Offline John

Should child killers be executed in the UK?
« on: November 29, 2016, 11:54:37 AM »
Newly elected UKIP leader, Paul Nuttall, wants to introduce the death penalty for child killers.

What do you think?

UKIP's Paul Nuttall has set out his bid for the party's leadership by declaring his support for referendums on capital punishment and abortion.

The former Ukip deputy leader said he would hold a national referendum on bringing back capital punishment.

He told Murnaghan on Sky News that if "enough people signed a petition," he would back a nationwide referendum to bring back capital punishment.

The MEP said the majority of British people would support its return if the referendum was held today.

Such a drastic move would make Britain and Belarus the only two countries in Europe with a legislated death sentence.

Read more...  http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/726804/Ukip-leadership-Paul-Nuttall-referendums-abortion-death-penalty
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 12:02:19 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Alfie

Re: Should child killers be executed in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 01:43:13 PM »
If we had had the death sentence for child murder in the 1970s Stephen Kiszko would have been hanged for a murder he did not commit.  No one will convince me that the murder of one innocent person is a price worth paying for the execution of a hundred guilty people.

stephen25000

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 01:45:31 PM »
If we had had the death sentence for child murder in the 1970s Stephen Kiszko would have been hanged for a murder he did not commit.  No one will convince me that the murder of one innocent person is a price worth paying for the execution of a hundred guilty people.

I completely agree. 8@??)(

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 03:35:14 PM »
As I recall the death penalty was suspended for a few years in 1964 ish and was fully enacted in the late nineteen sixties.
I can see no sound reason for it's re-introduction and leastways not by a sneaky insertion of the thin end of the wedge using emotional tactics. You can see what the next line will be. Is this guy a defector from a party that has National or British in its title?
It's not so much "do you want to top child killers?" but "are you content with where that change in the legislation may lead in the fullness of time ?"

"It is ten times easier to start something than it is to stop it"... Robert Townsend
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
  • Thinking outside the box, as usual-------
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 06:40:27 PM »
I cannot believe in capital punishment for anybody.

If we do that, we are murderers too.

And, there are far too many miscarriages of justice in this country for it to ever be appropriate.

Offline John

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 03:48:11 PM »
An interestng result so far which is at odds with our vpoll on twitter where 72% versus 20% wanted the death penalty for child killers.

Are there no circumstances where capital punishment would be appropriate?

https://twitter.com/Justice_forum/status/803567009078398976
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 03:51:30 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

stephen25000

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 03:52:52 PM »
An interestng result so far which is at odds with our vpoll on twitter where 72% versus 20% wanted the death penalty for child killers.

How about a life sentence meaning just that.

Offline John

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 03:53:18 PM »

Thing is though, with advances in forensic science and in particular DNA the element of doubt can in many situations be ruled out.  Would you change your mind if it was shown that the conviction was 100% sound?

Offline John

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 03:55:32 PM »
How about a life sentence meaning just that.

Yes, I agree Stephen.  Being allowed parole after 16 years makes a mockery of a life sentence.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 04:01:57 PM »

Only if the objective is vengeance.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Alfie

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 06:10:22 PM »

Well it just goes to show that this forum is more civilised than Twitter - but we knew that already... 8(0(*

Alfie

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 06:12:34 PM »
If you're wanting the death penalty brought back, why only for child killers?  Why not for all killers?  What about child molesters?  Rapists?  Terrorists?  Kidnappers?  Sheep rustlers?

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 07:00:00 PM »
If you're wanting the death penalty brought back, why only for child killers?  Why not for all killers?  What about child molesters?  Rapists?  Terrorists?  Kidnappers?  Sheep rustlers?

Indee and as I said earlier:
It's not so much "do you want to top child killers?" but "are you content with where that change in the legislation may lead in the fullness of time ?"

"Nothing is more unreliable than the populace, nothing more obscure than human intentions, nothing more deceptive than the whole electoral system".  Cicero

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 05:46:38 PM »
Indee and as I said earlier:

"Nothing is more unreliable than the populace, nothing more obscure than human intentions, nothing more deceptive than the whole electoral system".  Cicero

Indeed Alice. Well said.

There is nothing more henious than child abusers /killers. I would not lose any sleep if any were tortured as a a result of  vigilante behaviour- I don't condoneit, I just wouldn't be bothered by it.

But on this self same subject it is now being discussed that child abuse and killing children is a mental illness rather than a crime- this benefits: drug companies, mental hospitals, and the 'offenders'.

I would argue, and have on many occasion, it is a life style choice and should be punished by law to protect the rest of the population. Life should mean Life. Followed by an acident in the toilets...
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin