Off Topic and General Discussions > Off topic, general discussions and the Wide Awake Club.

When SHOULD Life Mean Life?

(1/2) > >>

APRIL:
I tire of hearing that someone has been "sentenced to life imprisonment" with the rider that they must serve a minimum of a minimum of years, in the case of the most recent conviction, someone for whom the de-radicalization process had failed, had been planning to drive a -possibly bomb laden- truck into pedestrians hoping to kill approximately 100 people. However, this form of sentencing doesn't just apply to those whose allegiance is to IS. It seems to be applied to all who commit heinous crimes.

Holly Goodhead:
The whole sentencing thing is a complete mystery to me and all I see are anomalies.

I guess life SHOULD mean life where someone has carried out pre-meditated murder or caused life changing injuries, mentally and/or physically, to another and where there isn't a case for diminished responsibility.

Or should we be more tolerant in that there's probably much about the brain, hormones, genes we don't yet understand in that some might have a propensity towards carrying out such acts based on their biology rather than simply evil intent! 

Eleanor:

Life does mean Life sometimes.  But not often enough, obviously.  Some of these offenders do go on to commit other horrible crimes.

But how can anyone tell?  One of the Bulger killers has never reoffended while the other one has serious problems.  I would have locked him up for a very long time after he continued to offend.

mrswah:
I have just read that the gangster and killer, Kenneth Noye, is before the parole board this week, and it is thought that he will be freed soon.

He has served 16 years for the "road rage" murder of Stephen Cameron, and has committed a number of other crimes in his lifetime, for example, he was involved in the Brinks Mat robbery.

A couple of years ago, I attended a series of talks given by a police officer who had been involved in apprehending Noye. His view was that Noye was and is a very  dangerous man, who would not hesitate to kill again, or to have someone killed if that person "displeased" him in some way.

I cannot comment on whether this is so, but the fact that Danielle Cable, the girlfriend of Stephen Cameron, is having to live under a new identity because she gave evidence against Noye, speaks volumes.

So, I would say that if a criminal is still thought to be dangerous, he or she should remain in prison------for life, if necessary.

Caroline:

--- Quote from: mrswah on May 20, 2019, 10:40:44 AM ---I have just read that the gangster and killer, Kenneth Noye, is before the parole board this week, and it is thought that he will be freed soon.

He has served 16 years for the "road rage" murder of Stephen Cameron, and has committed a number of other crimes in his lifetime, for example, he was involved in the Brinks Mat robbery.

A couple of years ago, I attended a series of talks given by a police officer who had been involved in apprehending Noye. His view was that Noye was and is a very  dangerous man, who would not hesitate to kill again, or to have someone killed if that person "displeased" him in some way.

I cannot comment on whether this is so, but the fact that Danielle Cable, the girlfriend of Stephen Cameron, is having to live under a new identity because she gave evidence against Noye, speaks volumes.

So, I would say that if a criminal is still thought to be dangerous, he or she should remain in prison------for life, if necessary.

--- End quote ---

Parole has been granted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version