Author Topic: Strange Witness Statements  (Read 592508 times)

Offline Brietta

Re: Strange Witness Statements
« Reply #1080 on: April 21, 2015, 08:20:01 PM »
That's my point. Why was Jeremy Watkins statement so important to Gerald McCann that he was prepared to upset Jane Tanner by saying he didn't see her? He was also very keen for his investigators to have access to Jeremy's evidence. We know the time of the encounter doesn't help Gerald, because it's so vague. Jeremy didn't see Jane or crechman so it's not that. The only thing that Jeremy provides really is a sighting of Gerald McCann near his apartment during that evening. Is that important?

Ridiculous to assert Jane Tanner was upset by Gerry's insistence ... it is quite clear from watching the video that had no bearing on the extreme distress she felt when reliving what she believed was Madeleine's abduction ... and as was said - the important thing was not what Gerry and Jez didn't see - but what Jane did see.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1081 on: April 21, 2015, 08:41:30 PM »
It could be that it gives weight to the claim that he was checking on his children - whether he was or wasn't.

Or even that he was around at all;

That night she judges to have arrived at the restaurant close to 21:00, in the company of the PAYNE couple.
- That, at that time, the whole group were at the restaurant. The witness did not recall, but thinks that perhaps Gerald and MATT had not been in the restaurant along with the other members of the group.
http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/DIANNE_WEBSTER_11-MAY07.htm
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!
« Reply #1082 on: April 21, 2015, 09:02:07 PM »
I agree with you that people may not have correct recall and that the important thing is that they were there. In that case why didn't Gerald McCann accept that he could have been wrong? Surely the exact place where they spoke wasn't important? His insistence suggests that he attaches some importance to where they stood.

The PJ responded to Gerald McCann's 4th May statement in which he mentioned speaking to Jeremy Wilkins very quickly. They faxed Leicester police on 7th May asking for Jeremy Wilkins to be interviewed. In response, Wembley police were phoned by Leicester police and they faxed Jeremy Wilkin's statement to Leicester police  on 7th May at 21.16; it was passed back to the PJ the same day.

Did Gerald McCann know what Jeremy Wilkins said in his statement? This is a possibility IMO as Leicester police seem to have been happy to share information with them. If he did have knowledge of it, then he had a problem.

Jeremy said he didn't see Jane Tanner pass by. Jeremy's statement was important to Gerald because it confirmed the checking of the children. Jane's sighting was important as it upheld the abduction thesis. If Gerald said he didn't see Jane either he would have diminished her sighting. If he said he did see her he diminished Jeremy's evidence.

Perhaps his solution was to move the meeting across the road, so that he could agree with Jeremy and it was then more believable that they didn't see Jane. This suggests to me that Jane didn't pass the two men when they were talking next to the passageway. I believe Jeremy Wilkins. He spoke to Gerald McCann next to the entrance to the passageway and Jane Tanner didn't pass them in my opinion.

Jeremy Wilkins contacted the PJ himself, on the 4th May.

REPORT OF EXTERNAL DILIGENCE
Date: 2007/05/04 Location: Praia da Luz - Lagos Entity determining the diligence:Employee who performed it: Manuel P., InspectorDescription and result of diligence:
Following various informal conversations related to the area of research, we were contacted by a British citizen named JEREMY MICHAEL WILKINS, holder of passport no. XXXXXX, owner of mobile phone no. +447XXXXXX, living at XXXXXX. He spends his holidays at, "WATERSIDE GARDENS," block G4 APT 0 (about 50 metres from the apartment where the small child was)Stated:1. that yesterday, between 20h30 and 21 hours, while he was in "THE TAPAS" bar, he noticed a person of around 1.70, with long blond hair, apparently of the "rasta style", and dressed in green military-style clothes;2. that this person did not stay very long and their behaviour was somewhat strange, since they seemed to be a little nervous;3. he was alone, he did not speak to anyone and left soon afterwards;4. the informant maintains that he has never seen this person in the village;NOTE: The bar "THE TAPAS" is an annex to the restaurant where the parents of MADELINE were having dinner, when she allegedly disappeared;Signed...

Amaral faxed Robert Hall at 17.05 on 7th May

To:Detective Chief Superintendent Robert Hall
Date: 07-05-2007    No pages : 03N / ref: Inq. 201107.0 GALGS

Subject: Request for Collaboration

Statement passed back to PJ 8th May

Processo 02, Volume IIa, Page 506
Fax request for translation of Jeremy Wilkins' statement into Portuguese, with 'maximum urgency', sent on 08 May 2007 at 11:53 am

http://www.mccannfiles.com/id327.html
Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1083 on: April 21, 2015, 10:30:08 PM »
Ridiculous to assert Jane Tanner was upset by Gerry's insistence ... it is quite clear from watching the video that had no bearing on the extreme distress she felt when reliving what she believed was Madeleine's abduction ... and as was said - the important thing was not what Gerry and Jez didn't see - but what Jane did see.

To paraphrase Hamilton Burger "counsel is speculating".
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1084 on: April 21, 2015, 10:35:17 PM »
To paraphrase Hamilton Burger "counsel is speculating".

It is a welcome relief from some posting utter b******s

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1085 on: April 21, 2015, 10:47:42 PM »
Jeremy Wilkins could have been more precise about the time he spoke to Gerald McCann if he had asked  his wife what time he arrived back at their apartment;

Jes returned to our apartment just before 9.30pm.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/dec/14/ukcrime.madeleinemccann

He must have parted from Gerald at just before 9.25pm then, if we allow five minutes for him to reach his apartment.Gerald probably arrived back at the table at 9.25pm at the earliest. He says he left to check the children at 9.05pm.
Result = happy posting.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #1086 on: April 21, 2015, 10:57:26 PM »
Jeremy Wilkins could have been more precise about the time he spoke to Gerald McCann if he had asked  his wife what time he arrived back at their apartment;

Jes returned to our apartment just before 9.30pm.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/dec/14/ukcrime.madeleinemccann

He must have parted from Gerald at just before 9.25pm then, if we allow five minutes for him to reach his apartment.Gerald probably arrived back at the table at 9.25pm at the earliest. He says he left to check the children at 9.05pm.
to quote Alice verbatim "To paraphrase Hamilton Burger "counsel is speculating"  ".

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1087 on: April 21, 2015, 11:03:26 PM »
to quote Alice verbatim "To paraphrase Hamilton Burger "counsel is speculating"  ".

All based on what people said in signed statements, except for Bridget O'Donnell, but she put it in print.
Result = happy posting.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #1088 on: April 21, 2015, 11:17:48 PM »
All based on what people said in signed statements, except for Bridget O'Donnell, but she put it in print.
Yes, you are speculating based on what was said in statements and in an article.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1089 on: April 21, 2015, 11:21:34 PM »

Who is Alice Verbatim?. I shrink from the question about Alice in the style of Chubby Brown. Perish the thought there will be another 24 years of this.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #1090 on: April 21, 2015, 11:23:36 PM »
Who is Alice Verbatim?. I shrink from the question about Alice in the style of Chubby Brown. Perish the thought there will be another 24 years of this.
Surely in 24 years time you will have run out of weak wisecracks?  We live in hope!

Offline Anna

« Reply #1091 on: April 21, 2015, 11:32:43 PM »

Topic:- Strange Witness Statements

“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #1092 on: April 22, 2015, 05:08:56 PM »
Last "call" from Kate's phone? What you've shown is a list of antenna pings. At least back then, differnt antennae would roam to pick up the strongest signal and register it as a ping, whether or not you'd touched your phone or not.

No records for Monday 30 April - that day alleged to be seen in Sagres but plenty happening AM Wednesday 2 May. Cleaner said one cot was in parent's bedroom that day after reported crying from Pamela Fenn.

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/OUSTROS_APENSOS_13_TEL.htm
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1093 on: April 22, 2015, 07:34:42 PM »
Could you clarify?

What you've posted are antennae pings. Back in those days, I used to have loads of pings for no particular reason, including from rival companies, even if I hadn't even touched the damned phone (although I'd get charged).

Is there something in particular to examine?

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #1094 on: April 22, 2015, 07:44:57 PM »
Could you clarify?

What you've posted are antennae pings. Back in those days, I used to have loads of pings for no particular reason, including from rival companies, even if I hadn't even touched the damned phone (although I'd get charged).

Is there something in particular to examine?

So you don't think it's strange? 6 rapid ones in succession just before the crying started. Lots early the next morning and no records of any on Monday 30 April? Looks like phone calls to me.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 07:49:45 PM by pathfinder73 »
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.