Author Topic: Has the Daily Star plunged to new depths of depravity?  (Read 25208 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Has the Daily Star plunged to new depths of depravity?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 08:37:07 PM »
Another shameful aspect of this type of sensationalist reporting is the way the plight of other children is hijacked  so that they become almost inconsequential in their own right and serve only as a footnote in the Madeleine McCann story

that's because it sells newspapers so the public must take a lot of the blame

Offline Haskins

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 08:39:32 PM »
The Daily Star today went with the headline, 'Maddie' found in Ireland after yesterday going with 'Maddie' found in Greece while printing pictures of the missing 10-year-old alongside the articles.

Has the British Press yet again shown themselves to be totally out of control and unfit to practise self regulation?

Was Leveson a useless exercise and a complete waste of money after all?

reached an all time low by printing such a headline?

I  would guess that no, the Daily Star hasn't plunged to new depths, because they've probably attained such depths before. But I don't read it so I can't really comment.

But the Leveson question is interesting and that's a saga that's still ongoing. Leveson could only recommend, he couldn't implement, so whether or not it was a waste of money will very much depend on what's finally put in place. I think the all party "carrot and stick" proposal is a good one myself, but the press barons may well yet succeed in derailing it.

Cariad

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 08:41:08 PM »
Yes cariad..stop buying it

The Morning Star maybe, but never The Star!

Offline John

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 08:56:07 PM »
Thank you all for the comments.  So do we just turn a blind eye to this garbage or should they face some sort of sanction for printing these deliberately misleading articles... Maddie found in Ireland - Shock as blue-eyed girl discovered with second Roma family and Maddie found in Greece - New hope as stolen girl turns up at gypsy camp.

The DS set out to deliberately mislead the public with those headlines. Is it not bad enough that Madeleine might be lying in some shallow grave or at the bottom of a pit without these mindless moronic journalists making things worse for her parents?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 09:00:51 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 08:58:51 PM »
The moral is, don't buy The Star. We need a free press. Having our unfit government control the information we get is a truly terrifying prospect.
Absolutely. People aren't stupid.
While you are pulling the weeds, you may uproot the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.
Matthew XIII, 29-30
(very biblical, though a total atheist !)

Offline imustpointout

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 08:59:35 PM »
Thank you all for the comments.  So do we just turn a blind eye to this garbage or should they face some sort of sanction for printing these deliberately misleading articles... Maddie found in Ireland - Shock as blue-eyed girl discovered with second Roma family and Maddie found in Greece - New hope as stolen girl turns up at gypsy camp.

I believe the correct phrase would be to ignore, rather than turn a blind eye.

You only have to convince all the other readers now.

The Star knows their market and target it.

Offline imustpointout

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 09:01:52 PM »
Well there's a novelty - quoting the bible at The Star.

icabodcrane

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 09:02:10 PM »
*edited*  ...  posted before checking other threads
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 09:14:46 PM by icabodcrane »

AnneGuedes

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 09:02:21 PM »
John, what's revolting is snatching little girls from families, perhaps not biological, perhaps precarious, but who love them.

Offline Apostate

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2013, 09:06:51 PM »

The DS set out to deliberately mislead the public with those headlines. Is it not bad enough that Madeleine might be lying in some shallow grave or at the bottom of a pit without these mindless moronic journalists making things worse for her parents?

They will be quite happy with these stories  - they perpetuate the idea that Madeleine might be alive somewhere.  I would not be surprised if Clarence Mitchell is behind them.

Offline John

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2013, 09:08:06 PM »
I wonder how many complaints have been received by the Press Complaints Commission?

A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Redblossom

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 09:09:04 PM »
what a stupid post (the real victims) ?? MADELEINE is a victim and so are her parents..whoever took madeleine made them victims ..get off your high horse ad stop trying to show off by making jokes ..you are a disgrace !!!

Mccanns were NOT victims of the hacking scandal.......that was the context you failed to grasp

AnneGuedes

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2013, 09:12:42 PM »
They will be quite happy with these stories  - they perpetuate the idea that Madeleine might be alive somewhere.  I would not be surprised if Clarence Mitchell is behind them.
This is the best campaign and costs nothing.

Offline imustpointout

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2013, 09:14:14 PM »

I have just noticed what you added as an edit.

You are as bad as The Star john

goodbye forum

Benita

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 09:16:16 PM »
Mccanns were NOT victims of the hacking scandal.......that was the context you failed to grasp

its the way your posts always look gobbledegook!!!