Author Topic: Oscar Pistorius trial commences in Pretoria, South Africa. Includes Court video.  (Read 150597 times)

Offline John

I have a suspicion that the judge will decide that culpable homicide is the appropriate charge and convict him accordingly.  I cant see any way she can give a sentence less than custodial since he fired that gun with the intention to kill.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 01:04:18 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Tim Invictus

I have a suspicion that the judge will decide that culpable homicide is the appropriate charge and convict him accordingly.  I cant see any way she can give a sentence less than custodial since he fired that gun with the intention to kill.

I think the judgement has to be murder. When OP got his gun license he signed an understanding document stating he knows he can only shoot someone if his life is in obvious and immediate danger.. He had to answer questions on given scenarios such as 'can he shoot an unarmed man who is threatening to kill him who is the other side of a locked gate'?
OP answered correctly .... No!

Under OP's version he made no challenge to the person in the locked toilet. For all he knew it could have been an 8 year child burglar! (Of course we all know he knew it was Reeva!)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 01:04:24 PM by John »

Offline Holly Goodhead

I thought I made a post here re OP's amygdala but it seems to have disappeared  8)><(
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Tim Invictus

I thought I made a post here re OP's amygdala but it seems to have disappeared  8)><(

I didn't see any post from you here Hols! Post it again.

Offline puglove

I didn't see any post from you here Hols! Post it again.

I saw it, Holls. Top post.
Jeremy Bamber kicked Mike Tesko in the fanny.

Offline Holly Goodhead

I saw it, Holls. Top post.

Cheers puglove  8((()*/

(Tim it was only that I thought, rightly or wrongly, that OP's amygdala will play a pivotal role in the decision making).

I was wondering about the advantages/disadvantages of the SA judicial system ie that the judge and 2/3 assessors decide; as opposed to our system of a jury made up of ordinary folk?  Also the fact that they have weeks to deliberate over the evidence as opposed to our system which is somewhat time limited?

Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Brietta

Oscar Pistorius Property Sell-Off Sparks Flight Risk Fear if Guilty Verdict is Reached
IB Times  By Dominic Gover

Oscar Pistorius could be deemed at risk of fleeing justice by the South African legal system because the athlete, who is on trial for murder, has sold all his properties in the country.

Ahead of this week's verdict in his trial for shooting dead his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, Pistorius has sold three homes for millions of rand.

As a result, judge Thokozile Masipa may conclude the runner could seek to go on the run from the law, having cut his ties with his bricks and mortar assets.

That is because owning property is seen by the justice system as being an effective guarantor of a defendant's conduct as it can be confiscated in the event of them seeking to evade justice.

Fallen star Pistorius, 27, is due to find out this week if he is guilty or innocent of murdering Steenkamp in a Valentine's Day bloodbath at one his luxury homes.

Off-loading the three properties - including the one in which Steenkamp was gunned down - has pocketed him enormous amounts of cash.

However, he took a big hit on the residence in Silverwoods Estate, Pretoria, where the shooting happened by being forced to sell it for 4.5m rand (£258,000) - only two thirds of its normal value.

Considering what Masipa shall weigh up when considering whether to grant bail to Pistorius between the trial verdict and any sentence, lawyer Ulrich Roux told The Times: "The argument is of course that the temptation to flee is so much stronger when a convicted person is possibly faced with a lengthy period of imprisonment."

Roux said no longer owning any property in South Africa could see Pistorius jailed on remand because: "Not having any fixed property makes it easier for a person to flee as there is no risk of losing the said property and suffering substantial financial losses.

"The fact that he placed on record that he owned four properties and was in a strong financial position, as well as his access to fund through other means, will all be considered. Any proceeds derived from the sale of the properties will be considered accordingly."

Two other properties in another gated community in Pretoria have been recently sold by Pistorius for 1m rand (£57,457) and 1.03m rand (£59,181).

Pistorius's total legal bill for advice since Steenkamp's death in 2013 is an estimated 3m rand, which is the most likely reason why the former track star has been selling his properties.

It is expected he would have spent a significant sum on lawyers once Thursday's verdict has been announced at North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria. His lead defence lawyer, Barry Roux, charges up to 85,000 rand (£4,885) a day.

Masipa is due to deliver the trial verdict on Thursday 11 September. Pistorius denies murder and a string of firearms charges.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/oscar-pistorius-property-sell-off-sparks-flight-risk-122205338.html#uw7pWf6
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Tim Invictus

D Day tomorrow. I do hope justice is served and the the verdict against Pistorius is murder .... hopefully premeditated!

Offline Holly Goodhead

I haven't had the time needed to look at all the evidence to form an opinion either way, but I am looking forward  to hearing the outcome.  Apparently the judge spends some considerable time summing up and the outcome might not be known until Friday.

Amazing in that just 2 decades since apartheid SA has a black female judge deciding the fate of a white sports star!

Offline puglove

Good grief. Just listening to Mark Williams-Thomas bleating on about what a wonderful guy Pistorius is. Ugh.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 12:43:32 PM by Mr Moderator »
Jeremy Bamber kicked Mike Tesko in the fanny.

Offline Wonderfulspam

Good grief. Just listening to Mark Williams-Thomas bleating on about what a wonderful guy Pistorius is. Ugh.

The guy is a total moron.

I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline mercury

I read he might be let  out after 10 months

Offline mercury

delete
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 11:27:35 PM by mercury »