Author Topic: EU membership, should we stay or leave?  (Read 125546 times)

stephen25000

Re: EU membership, should we stay or leave?
« Reply #435 on: June 23, 2016, 02:31:33 PM »
I'm firmly against Remain, so firmly infact that, to make my feelings absolutely clear, I put a big cross on the ballot paper in the remain box.

I wouldn't have it any other way Wonderfulspam. 8((()*/

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #436 on: June 23, 2016, 04:14:35 PM »
A wild exaggeration, and betrays a lack of understanding of how it works in practice. 

Law: we are a sovereign nation and all of our laws, including those influenced by the EU, must be passed by parliament.  The vast majority of EU laws relate to the operation of the single market. 

On the question of democracy - the EU is a democratic organisation where we have approximately 10% of the MEPs.  Most things are negotiated equally on a one country one vote basis.  Where necessary it is on an MEP basis.  Where we have significant influence.

I believe the disingenuity is with you.  Our laws and especially our human rights laws take a back seat to the European Court of Human Rights.  Parliament only rubber stamps the laws which have to be tailored to EU protocols, regulations and legislation. Without the Council of Europe and the EU there would probably never have been such a thing as the Human Rights Acts across the UK such is the EU power.

The UK Supreme Court can be overruled by the European Court but then you knew that didn't you?   8(0(*
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 04:20:30 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #437 on: June 23, 2016, 04:22:32 PM »
If you want unfettered immigration to our beautiful country vote #remain.

If you want to continue to send £ billions abroad to prop up basket-case countries, be my guest, vote #remain.

If you want to continue to pay over the odds for inflated EU goods go out and vote #remain.

If you want to keep the door shut to worldwide trade please vote #remain.

If you have a self serving vested interest in the EU, vote #remain.

For those who want none of the above Vote Leave!      Simples!

I just made my vote. I even took a photo of it I'm so proud.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 04:32:42 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #438 on: June 23, 2016, 04:35:06 PM »
Really John.

You have your view  others have theirs.

We will see tomorrow morning.

Whichever way it goes, the result will have to be accepted.

You say you have a view Stephen but we are yet to see any explanation from you as to why you hold that view?

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #439 on: June 23, 2016, 04:35:41 PM »
I believe the disingenuity is with you.  Our laws and especially our human rights laws take a back seat to the European Court of Human Rights.  Parliament only rubber stamps the laws which have to be tailored to EU protocols, regulations and legislation. Without the Council of Europe and the EU there would probably never have been such a thing as the Human Rights Acts across the UK such is the EU power.

The UK Supreme Court can be overruled by the European Court but then you knew that didn't you?   8(0(*

You may wish to consider a few things.

The ECHR is not an EU institution.  So leaving the EU will not in itself change our relationship with the EU

Generally where UK law is incompatible with the ECHR then a dialogue will suggest ways of making it compatible. 

For example, Where the courts disagree, then there have been occasions where the Supreme Court has sent cases back to ECHR for reconsideration - e.g R v Hardcastle.  2009.  In a  subsequent similar case of Al-Khawaja 2011 the ECHR followed the UK Supreme Court judgement in R v Harcastle. 

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #440 on: June 23, 2016, 04:37:33 PM »
You may wish to consider a few things.

The ECHR is not an EU institution.  So leaving the EU will not in itself change our relationship with the EU

Generally where UK law is incompatible with the ECHR then a dialogue will suggest ways of making it compatible. 

For example, Where the courts disagree, then there have been occasions where the Supreme Court has sent cases back to ECHR for reconsideration - e.g R v Hardcastle.  2009.  In a  subsequent similar case of Al-Khawaja 2011 the ECHR followed the UK Supreme Court judgement in R v Harcastle.

You are like a worm on the end of my fishing line.  The ECHR has the final say at the moment...end off!!

Time to get out of this shambles.

Je ne regrette rien!!

stephen25000

« Reply #441 on: June 23, 2016, 04:39:35 PM »
You say you have a view Stephen but we are yet to see any explanation from you as to why you hold that view?

I already have.

Just read through the topic.

I am not swayed by slogans, but want facts.

I shall be voting in 2 hours.

Offline Admin

« Reply #442 on: June 23, 2016, 04:40:30 PM »
I already have.

Just read through the topic.

I am not swayed by slogans, but want facts.

I shall be voting in 2 hours.

We look forward to your photo too Stephen.

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #443 on: June 23, 2016, 04:56:12 PM »
You are like a worm on the end of my fishing line.  The ECHR has the final say at the moment...end off!!

Time to get out of this shambles.

Do at least try to keep it polite Angelo?  How will leaving the EU remove our obligations under the ECHR? 

stephen25000

« Reply #444 on: June 23, 2016, 04:58:40 PM »
We look forward to your photo too Stephen.

Why do you need a photo ?

This fascination with selfies eludes me.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #445 on: June 23, 2016, 05:05:41 PM »
Greece, 180% debt to GDP ratio.

http://www.debtclocks.eu/select-an-eu-member-state.html

Just had another bail out.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-eurozone-greece-esm-regling-idUSKCN0Z70YD

Help prop up corrupt, failed economies, vote Remain.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

stephen25000

« Reply #446 on: June 23, 2016, 05:07:16 PM »
Greece, 180% debt to GDP ratio.

http://www.debtclocks.eu/select-an-eu-member-state.html

Just had another bail out.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-eurozone-greece-esm-regling-idUSKCN0Z70YD

Help prop up corrupt, failed economies, vote Remain.

So what UK money has been bailing out Greece ?

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #447 on: June 23, 2016, 07:16:29 PM »

So what UK money has been bailing out Greece ?

And answer came there none....

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #448 on: June 23, 2016, 07:19:32 PM »
..........Yet.

Vote Leave, if only to make certain.

I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline scipio_usmc

« Reply #449 on: June 23, 2016, 09:25:05 PM »
Good Luck Brexiters
“...there are three classes of intellects: one which comprehends by itself; another which appreciates what others comprehend; and a third which neither comprehends by itself nor by the showing of others; the first is the most excellent, the second is good, the third is useless.”  Niccolò Machiavelli