Author Topic: Website that analyses the Anni Dewani murder in detail  (Read 162112 times)

Offline Angelo222

Re: Website that analyses the Anni Dewani murder in detail
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2015, 10:36:45 AM »
Thank you for the suggestion, Angelo222. For now, we are content to go with the dictionary and legal definition of exoneration. If you can point to some legal sources that explain your contention that this wasn't an exoneration, then we will be happy to revisit and revise our wording.

I think you will struggle to find any such source. The standard of proof for a trial to continue after the prosecution case ends, is extremely low (much lower than the "beyond reasonable doubt" standard that applies at the end of the trial). All that is required at the halfway point is some credible evidence and the trial will continue. That is what happens with most trials. When a trial is stopped because the evidence cannot even meet this low standard, then it is an overwhelmingly clear indication that there is nothing that links the accused to the crime, and thus it is  an indisputable exoneration.

I thought your site was interested in facts and as you keep referring to the judgement of the SA court it should be pointed out that nowhere does it state that Dewani is innocent or has been exonerated.  Your attempt to label him innocent is a massive fail.

Dewani was freed on a technicality, nothing more and nothing less.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2015, 10:40:38 AM »
Hi Mercury,

Don't be sorry. Everyone is entitled to their view. Shrien Dewani's position is obviously linked to achieving justice for Anni. He was her husband and he was accused of being involved in the murder. We clearly cannot ignore him when discussing the case, however he isn't the focus for us, because the evidence made it clear that he wasn't involved. 

If you read our site's content, it should be abundantly clear how we know that he is innocent. I am sure that forum members would not appreciate me cutting and pasting large swathes of content from our site onto here, and I don't intend to type it all out.

Am happy to answer any questions you may have, or to clarify but please do take the time to have a look at our site if you would like to understand our position.

Might I make the comment that a lot of posters in this thread seem to have very strong views on the case, coupled with a very weak grasp on the basic facts and flawed understanding of the legalities. A recipe for disaster some might say! Although I guess this is no surprise when it comes to this case.

The only way you could possibly know Dewani is innocent is if you are he or one of the other defendants and since they are either dead, incarcerated or have no interest in defending Anni or Shrien then...

Just for the sake of completeness therefore and for the benefit of readers, Dewani has never been proved innocent which sort of leaves your website dewanifacts somewhat short in the credibility stakes.     @)(++(*
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 10:43:46 AM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline dewanifacts

« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2015, 10:43:35 AM »
Passer-by, your cape town insights are very interesting and make a good read. Can't see much relevance to the case though. You seem to be intent on avoiding the facts and instead peddling misinformation and speculation.

Only briefly in passing, it doesn't mention it being disasterous at all:  actually, as it was him who decided attack was the best means of defence and claimed Dewani was being set up by the SAPS to protect the reputation of South African Tourism.

Incorrect. It was SA Police Commissioner Bheki Cele who first linked the Dewani murder to the fortunes of SA tourism.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/police-chief-brands-honeymoon-murder-suspect-a-monkey-2155939.html

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2015, 10:47:01 AM »
Passer-by, your cape town insights are very interesting and make a good read. Can't see much relevance to the case though. You seem to be intent on avoiding the facts and instead peddling misinformation and speculation.

Incorrect. It was SA Police Commissioner Bheki Cele who first linked the Dewani murder to the fortunes of SA tourism.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/police-chief-brands-honeymoon-murder-suspect-a-monkey-2155939.html

I find Passer-by's insights into life in Capetown invaluable in accessing the liklihood or otherwise that the murder of Anni Hindocha was a set up.  Who in their right mind would take their new bride dressed up for a night out in her finest garb to a shantytown for a night tour a mere 24 hours after arriving there?

Remind me, what was Dewani's excuse for meeting up with Tongo the taxi driver after the killing of Anni?  What possible excuse could he have for meeting what was effectively a suspect in her slaughter, never mind handing over cash to him??

Another fact which doesn't sit too well is that Tongo had no criminal record, he had worked hard to get a taxi on the road and was working his way up the pecking order.  There is no way he would have allowed a murder to have been carried out in his VW Sharan leaving blood everywhere.  It is my belief that the two thugs who killed Anni were taking her to be killed elsewhere and that she fought with them.  She was shot through the hand and the neck which indicates she put her hand up to protect herself.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 11:00:31 AM by Angelo222 »

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline dewanifacts

« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2015, 10:53:23 AM »
I thought your site was interested in facts and as you keep referring to the judgement of the SA court it should be pointed out that nowhere does it state that Dewani is innocent or has been exonerated.  Your attempt to label him innocent is a massive fail.

Dewani was freed on a technicality, nothing more and nothing less.

So apart from repeating what you said previously, you're unable to substantiate your claim that he wasn't actually exonerated? I thought so.

No English speaking court in the world can deliver a verdict of "innocent" so your thread of argument is nonsensical. By your rationale, no defendant has ever been exonerated of any crime. 

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2015, 11:01:46 AM »
So apart from repeating what you said previously, you're unable to substantiate your claim that he wasn't actually exonerated? I thought so.

No English speaking court in the world can deliver a verdict of "innocent" so your thread of argument is nonsensical. By your rationale, no defendant has ever been exonerated of any crime.

So why are you inventing adjectives on your website which do not refect reality?  Dewani was declared 'not guilty' by way of lack of credible evidence.  Should that evidence surface he cannot be tried again which renders justice for Anni highly unlikely.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 11:06:13 AM by Angelo222 »

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline dewanifacts

« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2015, 11:10:49 AM »
In a long list of some 120 claims listed on our site, the word "innocent" was used once. It was absolutely accurate but if it comes across as biased then its worth altering. We have now amended that solitary instance. 

Thanks for your contribution, Angelo222.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2015, 11:18:47 AM »
In a long list of some 120 claims listed on our site, the word "innocent" was used once. It was absolutely accurate but if it comes across as biased then its worth altering. We have now amended that solitary instance. 

Thanks for your contribution, Angelo222.

I am off to work but will be back later to discuss further issues.

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Passer-by

« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2015, 11:59:26 AM »

Oh they're very relevant to the case:  you're part of a PR campaign ahead of a civil law suit that will hang on the balance of probability.

Offline dewanifacts

« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2015, 12:11:53 PM »
If your insights are so relevant to the case, why were you not called as a witness in either the Mngeni or Dewani trials? Seems strange for the prosecutors to omit such a useful witness, does it not? 

We'll take your comments as a compliment. If we give the impression of being part of a PR campaign, then that means we must come across as quite professional and knowledgeable on the case.

With regard to an impending civil suit (yet more baseless speculation on your part), may I suggest that you don't hold your breath?

The balance of probabilities means that a court needs to   find it more likely than not (call it 51%) that he was involved in the crime. A civil suit may have succeeded in a case like OJ Simpson's, where the evidence fell just short of the "beyond reasonable doubt" benchmark, but such a suit would definitively stand no chance of success with Dewani, given the lack of any credible evidence linking him to the crime and irrefutable evidence proving that the allegations were made up by self serving criminals.

Offline Mr Moderator

« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2015, 02:16:24 PM »
Like so many I was interested in this case but can we have a sensible debate without the sarcasm or nit-picking please as there are some areas which I would like to explore.

MM

Offline dewanifacts

« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2015, 03:16:04 PM »
Hi Mr Moderator,

Would be interested in your thoughts on our site. You might be able to make some suggestions as to additions/deletions/recatagorisations of claims?   We want it to reflect the known facts of the case as accurately as possible, and we also have sections for false and baseless information. 

One of the main reasons we set up the site, was because there is so much misinformation propagated about this case that it can be hard for someone who has jumped in late to separate fact from fiction.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 03:18:38 PM by dewanifacts »

Offline Mr Moderator

« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2015, 03:40:20 PM »
Hi Mr Moderator,

Would be interested in your thoughts on our site. You might be able to make some suggestions as to additions/deletions/recatagorisations of claims?   We want it to reflect the known facts of the case as accurately as possible, and we also have sections for false and baseless information. 

One of the main reasons we set up the site, was because there is so much misinformation propagated about this case that it can be hard for someone who has jumped in late to separate fact from fiction.

That is the case unfortunately with most high profile events.  It is an onerous task seperating the corn from the chaff at the best of times so good luck with the Hindocha/Dewani murder.

Offline mercury

« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2015, 08:16:44 PM »
Hi Mercury,

Don't be sorry. Everyone is entitled to their view. Shrien Dewani's position is obviously linked to achieving justice for Anni. He was her husband and he was accused of being involved in the murder. We clearly cannot ignore him when discussing the case, however he isn't the focus for us, because the evidence made it clear that he wasn't involved. 

If you read our site's content, it should be abundantly clear how we know that he is innocent. I am sure that forum members would not appreciate me cutting and pasting large swathes of content from our site onto here, and I don't intend to type it all out.

Am happy to answer any questions you may have, or to clarify but please do take the time to have a look at our site if you would like to understand our position.

Might I make the comment that a lot of posters in this thread seem to have very strong views on the case, coupled with a very weak grasp on the basic facts and flawed understanding of the legalities. A recipe for disaster some might say! Although I guess this is no surprise when it comes to this case.

What is he doing in seeking justice for Anni? He seems to have kept a low profile as possible since the court case, no campaigns, no TV appearances, no book telling his side of the story to get public opinion on board, etc. And what of the animosity between him and Anni's family?

I never followed this case closely or know the ins and outs so no point me reading the website just yet. Just making general comments. There is such a thing as believing someone has escaped justice, for many reasons, whether right or wrong.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 08:18:51 PM by mercury »

Offline Passer-by

« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2015, 08:44:53 PM »
What is he doing in seeking justice for Anni? He seems to have kept a low profile as possible since the court case, no campaigns, no TV appearances, no book telling his side of the story to get public opinion on board, etc. And what of the animosity between him and Anni's family?

I never followed this case closely or know the ins and outs so no point me reading the website just yet. Just making general comments. There is such a thing as believing someone has escaped justice, for many reasons, whether right or wrong.

I find it odd the man has done everything he can to avoid being cross-examined in public:  if it were me I'd be doing everything I could to bring those involved to justice - the way Anni's father has behaved in fact.  I think he treated her father with the utmost disrespect.