Author Topic: Child abduction in Portugal and beyond - is it really so prevalent?  (Read 110883 times)

Offline Wonderfulspam

Re: Child abduction in Portugal and beyond - is it really so prevalent?
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2014, 06:15:12 PM »
Kate McCann accuses Algarve police of sex abuse cover up

Kate McCann has accused Portuguese police of covering up a series of child sex abuse cases before her daughter Madeleine was abducted.

The claim is made in a new book Madeleine, in which Mrs McCann writes honestly about her torment in the four years since her daughter went missing from a holiday apartment in Praia da Luz in Portugal.

In the forthcoming book, Mrs McCann writes of her fear that her daughter was kidnapped by a paedophile and admits that she was at one time consumed by the mental image of her eldest child being 'defiled' by her abductor.

Mrs McCann and her husband Gerry, both of them doctors from Rothley in Leicestershire, were first warned of an alarming number of cases in the Algarve by Bill Henderson, the British consul in the region. He told the McCanns shortly after the abduction that there had been "several cases of men getting into bed with children". When police made public their files on the case in the summer of 2008, Mrs McCann discovered five cases of British children being sexually abused in their beds while on holiday and while their parents slept in another room.

The incidents are said to have occurred within a one-hour drive of Praia da Luz in the three years before Madeleine, then aged three, went missing on May 3rd 2007. She believes the Portuguese police failed to investigate any possible links between the cases and the disappearance of Madeleine.

"It broke my heart to read the terrible accounts of these devastated parents and the experiences of their poor children," writes Mrs mcCann, adding: "What these cases do demonstrate, however, is that British tourists in holiday accommodation were being targeted... It is so hard not to scream from the rooftops about how these crimes appear to have been brushed under the carpet."

Mrs McCann, 43, says she was consumed by the fear her child was being abused in the days after she went missing. She writes: "When she was first stolen, paedophiles were all we could think about, and it ate away at us. The idea of a monster like this touching my daughter, stroking her, defiling her perfect little body, just killed me over and over again....

"I would lie in bed, hating the person who had done this to us – the person who had taken away our little girl and terrified her. I hated him. I wanted to kill him."

In an interview published yesterday in The Sun newspaper to coincide with the book's publication on May 12th - on what would be Madeleine's 8th birthday - the McCanns talked candidly of how their own relationship had suffered in the aftermath of the kidnapping. Mr McCann, 42, who has gone back to work as a heart consultant at a teaching hospital, told the sun: "There were times when I thought she would never get back to being the woman I love.

"Early on I could understand why something like this destroys relationships. It's been so hard to keep your own head above water at times. Now we're more or less on an even keel."

Mrs McCann said: "I didn't know if I would ever get back to the person I was. I was conscious about the effect this had on Gerry. He needed me to be together and I just couldn't get myself there."

The book was written by Mrs McCann, who has never returned to work as a GP, in about nine months and is expected to raise £1 million for the fund established by the couple to find their child. The sum will pay for private detectives to continue their search for about another two years. She hopes it will also trigger further information for their detectives to follow up as it inevitably garners publicity around the world.

Even before publication, the book tops the Amazon best-seller list based on pre-orders. In Madeleine, Mrs McCann tells of the couple's guilt at leaving Madeleine and their twins Sean and Amelie unattended in their apartment while they ate supper with friends about 100 yards away.

In the most detailed account of what happened on the night the child went missing, Mrs McCann tells of how she frantically searched for the child on discovering Madeleine was no longer asleep in her bed. She writes of the panic that took hold and how her 'heart lurched' on discovering a window in the child's bedroom was opened. She ran out of the apartment in the direction of the table where her husband and friends were eating and began screaming: "Madeleine's gone. Someone's taken her."

Mrs McCann also admits to turning 'amateur detective' during a return visit to the resort, getting a friend to re-enact the sighting of a man seen carrying a child, believed to be madeleine, as he walked away from the apartment on the night the little girl vanished.

She reveals she has had three similar dreams of getting her daughter back. "She says there, I'm holding her, I'm so happy. And then I wake up. And of course she's not there. The pain is crippling," she admitted.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/madeleinemccann/8500353/Kate-McCann-accuses-Algarve-police-of-sex-abuse-cover-up.html
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 06:17:00 PM by Wonderfulspam »
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Benice

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2014, 06:16:20 PM »
A myth. Unless you produce neutral sources (not Mrs McCann)

Not a myth Anne, unless you think Kate would be daft enough to invent those families and say in her book that the reports came from the files, when they didn't.     How do you think a big fat lie like that would go down with the UK police,  the British Consul and the GNR - all of whom would know she was lying her head off  - if none of that had ever happened. 

Trying to claim it is a myth is just too silly for words imo.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline Carana

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2014, 06:19:28 PM »
What's your analysis ?

Similar to yours when you said just above:

Quote from: AnneGuedes on Today at 05:11:33 PM

This is manipulation of public opinion.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2014, 06:27:20 PM »
Not a myth Anne, unless you think Kate would be daft enough to invent those families and say in her book that the reports came from the files, when they didn't.     How do you think a big fat lie like that would go down with the UK police,  the British Consul and the GNR - all of whom would know she was lying her head off  - if none of that had ever happened. 

Trying to claim it is a myth is just too silly for words imo.
Mrs McCann produced no evidence for those alleged facts, revealing a total lack of rigour that doesn't matter for you, a believer, but matters for those who don't believe and want to understand.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2014, 06:32:24 PM »

Mrs McCann and her husband Gerry, both of them doctors from Rothley in Leicestershire, were first warned of an alarming number of cases in the Algarve by Bill Henderson, the British consul in the region. He told the McCanns shortly after the abduction that there had been "several cases of men getting into bed with children". When police made public their files on the case in the summer of 2008, Mrs McCann discovered five cases of British children being sexually abused in their beds while on holiday and while their parents slept in another room. [/color]

Double hearsay, a consul who doesn't advise to go to the police and a lie about what is in the PJ files.

@)(++(*

AnneGuedes

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2014, 06:36:09 PM »
Similar to yours when you said just above:

Quote from: AnneGuedes on Today at 05:11:33 PM

This is manipulation of public opinion.
Then asking why for asking ?
Do you feel manipulated ? I don't.

Offline Carana

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2014, 06:43:22 PM »
Then asking why for asking ?
Do you feel manipulated ? I don't.

Propaganda isn't intended for those who can recognise it, is it?

AnneGuedes

« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2014, 06:50:29 PM »
Propaganda isn't intended for those who can recognise it, is it?
Are you suggesting a bipartition of society, the knowledge of the elite a,nd the ignorance of the people ?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2014, 08:04:40 PM »
Are you suggesting a bipartition of society, the knowledge of the elite a,nd the ignorance of the people ?

Isnt that exactly what happened in Casa pia

drummer

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2014, 09:13:33 PM »
Anne you seem to believe that any news from Portugal which shows the country  in a bad light is a myth or a lie. When I hear of any crimes / corruption  etc uncovered in my own country I am thankful for the agencies who have taken the time to investigate/prosecute. I'm sure most people feel the same.

Redblossom

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2014, 10:12:13 PM »
Does anyne know  if the Mccanns got the unreleased parts of the files relating to sex offenders?

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2014, 10:21:49 PM »
11 November 2013

‘Maddie’ weirdo targeted our kids

Scruff spotted by second Brit

By RYAN PARRY, GARY O’SHEA & JAMES BEAL

A SCRUFFY long-haired man tried to lure away a small child in Portugal just WEEKS before Madeleine McCann was kidnapped, a witness claims.

He approached a British holidaymaker saying he was a charity collector — while a sinister accomplice watched from a short distance away.

Cops probing Madeleine’s 2007 disappearance now believe the man — also described by TWO other witnesses and similar to police images issued in 2008 — may be key to their investigation.

The Brit holidaymaker, who asked not to be named, said the drugged-up Portuguese man approached her and her five-year-old daughter in Vilamoura — 30 miles from where Madeleine was taken.

She said: “I knew there was something wrong with him, I just wanted to get away from him.

“I felt he was trying to usher us down a cobbled street.

“I could see his accomplice sitting a way away watching us. He was pretending that he wasn’t with the other guy, I could tell.”

The woman, from the North of England, later reported the incident to private detectives hired by Madeleine’s family.

They revealed a villa owner had reported the same men trying to lure away his daughter in Vilamoura.

His sighting came a month before Madeleine was snatched from her Praia da Luz holiday apartment on May 3, 2007.

And The Sun has learned a THIRD witness has been quizzed three times by British detectives over her account of seeing a similar man.

Gran Gail Cooper saw a weirdo on the beach in Praia da Luz staring at a blond boy two days before Madeleine vanished.

The same man later knocked on her door collecting money for charity “for an orphanage”.

Gail, 56, of Newark, Notts, saw the oddball a third time lurking behind kids from a holiday complex.

She said: “He was very intimidating at my door. He kept waving his hands and staring. My grandchildren were in the pool. I just wanted him to go.

“It wasn’t until later that I made the connection to Maddie.”

Last month cops made a Crimewatch appeal to trace bogus charity workers seen around Praia da Luz.

One theory is that Madeleine was taken by an organised crime gang who “cased” her apartment in the days before.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/5254957/maddie-weirdo-targeted-children-portugal.html

Redblossom

« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2014, 10:25:57 PM »
WS I think I can count at least six of these types of stories that have all suddenly been published by the papers for a few months now and  nearly seven yrs later, not a peep at any time beforehand.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2014, 10:28:39 PM »
Does anyne know  if the Mccanns got the unreleased parts of the files relating to sex offenders?
From the Portuguese they got the same as those who asked for the files got.
From the LC, they got back what they in fact had given them.
What they have, and we don't, is CRG, Metodo3, Halligen and Edgar.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2014, 10:36:48 PM »
WS I think I can count at least six of these types of stories that have all suddenly been published by the papers for a few months now and  nearly seven yrs later, not a peep at any time beforehand.

"The woman, from the North of England, later reported the incident to private detectives hired by Madeleine’s family."

Didn't report it to the cops then?