Author Topic: Ciprianos confess before the judge of instruction of the Court of Portimão  (Read 29725 times)

Offline Carana

The missing girl's uncle, John Cipriano, once claimed the only difference between them and the McCanns was that the latter had money. I agree, they have more in common when it came to child care than they want to admit.

Are you sure about that, Angelo?

My recollection is that was Leandro who made that comment.

Offline John

Are you sure about that, Angelo?

My recollection is that was Leandro who made that comment.

That's correct, it was the missing girl's stepfather Leandro Silva.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline sadie

You had children Sadie.  If your 8-year-old daughter disappeared one evening after being sent on an errand would you have left her out all night without bothering your head to kick up a fuss.  An honest answer would be nice!
I don't live in an isolated village and I have a car, a phone and sufficient money to call a taxi.  Leonor had none of these advantages

She also had a couple of babies/toddlers to look after, who she could neither leave nor take with her.

Despite the fact that she hoped that Joana might be staying with her gran or a friend, she must have been worried stiff ... but she did the only thing that was open to her.  She looked after her other children... and followed the GNR Officers advice. 

She had done the best she could, she had reported it to the Police.  Why did you say that she hadn't ?

Offline Angelo222

I don't live in an isolated village and I have a car, a phone and sufficient money to call a taxi.  Leonor had none of these advantages

She also had a couple of babies/toddlers to look after, who she could neither leave nor take with her.

Despite the fact that she hoped that Joana might be staying with her gran or a friend, she must have been worried stiff ... but she did the only thing that was open to her.  She looked after her other children... and followed the GNR Officers advice. 

She had done the best she could, she had reported it to the Police.  Why did you say that she hadn't ?

One simple phone call was all that was required and they couldn't even do that!!
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline sadie

One simple phone call was all that was required and they couldn't even do that!!
Difficult if you didn't have a phone !
Difficult if you didn't know how to use a phone either.

Angelo, I must make it plain that I don't KNOW the above things, but they almost certainly would not have afforded a phone .... and with Leonors limited education and almost certainly no access to one, it is quite probable that she would not know how to use one. 

That is rather like me in the late 40's, early 50's .... and we weren't what you would call poor.   Hardly anyone had phones or cars in those days.  I can understand where Leonor comes from.  Pity you haven't got the sensitivity to understand her dilemma

Offline Carana

She did have a phone, but it was out of credit.

Offline mercury

She did have a phone, but it was out of credit.

Do u need credit to ring anemergency number? Just wondering

Or was she so uneducated she didnt know she could

Offline Angelo222

Difficult if you didn't have a phone !
Difficult if you didn't know how to use a phone either.

Angelo, I must make it plain that I don't KNOW the above things, but they almost certainly would not have afforded a phone .... and with Leonors limited education and almost certainly no access to one, it is quite probable that she would not know how to use one. 

That is rather like me in the late 40's, early 50's .... and we weren't what you would call poor.   Hardly anyone had phones or cars in those days.  I can understand where Leonor comes from.  Pity you haven't got the sensitivity to understand her dilemma

A load of bull Sadie.  Your excuses on behalf of that woman never cease to amaze.  Even if all the excuses you suggest were true, all she had to do was ask someone.  She made no attempt to contact the police...end off!

PS you were wrong about her not having a phone too!!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 04:07:54 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Angelo222

Do u need credit to ring anemergency number? Just wondering

Or was she so uneducated she didnt know she could

Good point and very true.  8((()*/

Dialing 112 does not require credit in Portugal.  In fact I'm told you don't even need a Sim card and is even now answered in English!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 04:13:15 PM by Angelo222 »

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Carana

From what I can gather from the situation, she was more perplexed that evening than anything else.

It does seem as if the bar lady found the situation of more concern (that evening) than Leonor.

On the other hand, Joana had been at a family party and a local fiesta was going on.

Apart from the fact that she hadn't come home, there was no manifest sign that she'd come to harm. Leonor could well have been toying up whether the police should be contacted when bar lady took the initiative.

Offline Angelo222

From what I can gather from the situation, she was more perplexed that evening than anything else.

It does seem as if the bar lady found the situation of more concern (that evening) than Leonor.

On the other hand, Joana had been at a family party and a local fiesta was going on.

Apart from the fact that she hadn't come home, there was no manifest sign that she'd come to harm. Leonor could well have been toying up whether the police should be contacted when bar lady took the initiative.

She was sent to the shop, she never returned even by midnight.  Any normal person would have made inquiries by then but not Leonor and John Cipriano.  Only the stepfather Leandro Silva went out looking for her but then he wasn't aware of her fate as the either two were.

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Carana

She was sent to the shop, she never returned even by midnight.  Any normal person would have made inquiries by then but not Leonor and John Cipriano.  Only the stepfather Leandro Silva went out looking for her but then he wasn't aware of her fate as the either two were.

That doesn't appear to be accurate, Angelo.

Offline Carana

I really don't understand why some people are so convinced that Leonor and her brother are truly guilty concerning Joana.

I'm not naive - I do know of some horrible cases in which family members have been responsible for child abuse deaths whiled claiming an abduction.

In this case, I simply can't find anything of substance beyond the so-called confessions under less than limpid conditions.

Offline Carana

I'm not even sure why people don't question the evidence (or rather the lack of it).

Offline sadie

I'm not even sure why people don't question the evidence (or rather the lack of it).
I'll go along with that. 
Especially people who believe themselves to have suffered a Miscarriage of Justice.

The imprisonment of Leonor and Joao Cipriana on the charge of having murdered Joana must be one of the most glaring examples of likely Miscarriage of Justice in the last century.  IMO