Author Topic: Why was Yvonne Martin's offer of help dismissed so readily?  (Read 23044 times)

Offline The General

Re: Why was Yvonne Martin's offer of help dismissed so readily?
« Reply #120 on: November 15, 2018, 01:49:25 PM »
I agree.  They obviously didn't need her help.
I imagine her kecks rolled up when Kate realised she was a social worker. Her reaction was understandable, I suppose, given the circumstances.
The 2nd Youngest Member of the Forum

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #121 on: November 15, 2018, 01:53:42 PM »
I imagine her kecks rolled up when Kate realised she was a social worker. Her reaction was understandable, I suppose, given the circumstances.
Precisely

Offline Erngath

« Reply #122 on: November 15, 2018, 02:03:30 PM »
I asked a social worker acquaintance, what she thought if the McCanns.... Her view was the twins should have been removed as soon as the plane landed fron portugal

Surely not?
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #123 on: November 15, 2018, 02:07:01 PM »
Surely not?

I was quite surprised  at the, strength of her reaction

Offline Erngath

« Reply #124 on: November 15, 2018, 02:49:24 PM »
I was quite surprised  at the, strength of her reaction

I am too.
I always believed that the aim was to keep families together, except if there was  extreme neglct or physical or sexual abuse.
Most social workers whom I have dealt with have that aim.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #125 on: November 15, 2018, 02:58:12 PM »
I am too.
I always believed that the aim was to keep families together, except if there was  extreme neglct or physical or sexual abuse.

I've seen a couple of cases that have been quite extreme.
Must depend on the social worker

Offline The General

« Reply #126 on: November 15, 2018, 03:13:58 PM »
I've seen a couple of cases that have been quite extreme.
Must depend on the social worker
It absolutely does, I have first hand experience that I won't divulge.
But I reckon the last person Kate McCann would want to or expect to see that morning was a social worker.
The 2nd Youngest Member of the Forum

Offline Brietta

« Reply #127 on: November 15, 2018, 03:25:44 PM »
at about 07H00 she turned on the television and watched an English news channel (BBC or SKY NEWS) where she saw an appeal to British citizens on holiday in the Algarve to offer all possible support to a British couple who were on holiday in Praia da Luz and whose daughter, a child, had disappeared on May 03, 2007.
http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/YVONNE-WARREN-MARTIN.htm

I asked ...
When Yvonne Martin hot footed down the coast to give her unsolicited assistance how did she know that assistance was required?

Len Port described the hive of activity that morning with the Portuguese police and their dogs searching for what I believe was still considered to be a child who woke and had wandered from her bed.

Without benefit of hindsight why did Yvonne Martin decide decide to fly solo and conduct what amounted to a criminal investigation before the police had decided what procedures to follow?
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=10418.msg502937#msg502937

She certainly did not get her information from Sky News who did not broadcast it until 7:48 am on the 4th May.

Nor did they broadcast an appeal "to British citizens on holiday in the Algarve to offer all possible support to a British couple who were on holiday in Praia da Luz and whose daughter, a child, had disappeared on May 03 2007.

Why on earth would they make the assumption the Portuguese authorities, the British authorities, the holiday resort, friends, locals and visitors would neglect to supply all the support necessary?

An appeal to keep an eye open by all means but that stage that just didn't happen either the news report noting, "We're just hearing that a search is underway for a 3-year-old British girl who's gone missing in the Algarve area of Portugal; and she went missing last night. Hundreds of people have been searching for the girl; and that search continuing this morning."

Yvonne Martin certainly didn't get her information from SKY at 7.00am... so when exactly did the BBC broadcast the breaking news on May the 4th and what does their transcript say that precipitated Yvonne's ride to the rescue?
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

« Reply #128 on: November 15, 2018, 03:41:46 PM »
I am too.

The welfare of the child is paramount ... no social work team worth it's salt would take any precipitate action to jeopardise that by precipitate non-emergency action and careful multi discipline study.

I agree that the majority of social workers do an excellent job in very difficult circumstances and I know of no cases where children are removed from loving homes where they are properly cared for to be put into the care system.

Such would be a scandal of gargantuan proportions.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #129 on: November 15, 2018, 03:47:23 PM »
The welfare of the child is paramount ... no social work team worth it's salt would take any precipitate action to jeopardise that by precipitate non-emergency action and careful multi discipline study.

I agree that the majority of social workers do an excellent job in very difficult circumstances and I know of no cases where children are removed from loving homes where they are properly cared for to be put into the care system.

Such would be a scandal of gargantuan proportions.

Those scandals happen

I know if two personally... Google  Scottish satanic abuse case... Social workers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-23958348

Offline Erngath

« Reply #130 on: November 15, 2018, 05:42:07 PM »
Those scandals happen

I know if two personally... Google  Scottish satanic abuse case... Social workers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-23958348

Horrific case.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #131 on: November 15, 2018, 07:22:38 PM »
If an English detective inspector had been holidaying a couple of miles down the coast what action do you think would have been dictated by dint of his/her desire to help using professional training?

Do you consider it would it have been appropriate for that person to approach witnesses waving a warrant card and attempt to interview them privately?
That is an interesting question.  I've been listening to murder investigations on YouTube, hundreds of them in fact, and I'd say provided that detective approached the PJ first, it would be up to the PJ to decide how to handle it. 
It could have been very effective if the English detective was wearing a wire and sort of approached the McCanns as an undercover "friend that could help".
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #132 on: November 15, 2018, 07:26:56 PM »
I agree.  They obviously didn't need her help.
Had the case been solved I might have agreed with you.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline John

« Reply #133 on: November 15, 2018, 08:12:24 PM »
I would think that Yvonne Martin went into social work because she wanted to help children and families.  She went to Praia Da Luz to help the McCanns.

I have an immense respect for social workers as I believe their profession is a very hard and stressful one. They are dedicated professionals who's aim is to protect children and help families cope with very difficult circumstances.

Read this please http://www.socialworker.com/feature-articles/practice/a-social-worker-s-thoughts-on-child-protection-social-work/

IMO Yvonne Martin didn't need jurisdiction nor did she need to speak Portuguese to help the McCanns, even in a small way to cope with what had happened.  She didn't get the chance to do that, that is not her fault.   If you read the link you will see what I mean.

I agree. The fact that the parents and Dr Payne went off whispering before he came back to tell her they didn't want her help would have immediately rung alarm bells with her.  Social workers who are trained in child protection issues as Yvonne Martin was, can spot anything peculiar or out of the ordinary a mile away.  They look for inappropriate responses such as declining help in such situations.

IMO she should have spoken to the PJ immediately about her concerns and left it at that.  That would have been the professional way of dealing with the situation instead of writing an anonymous letter.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 09:32:13 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #134 on: November 15, 2018, 09:05:41 PM »
I agree. The fact that the parents and Dr Payne went off whispering before he came back to tell her they didn't want her help would have immediately rung alarm bells with her.  Social workers who are trained in child protection issues as Yvonne Martin was, can spot anything peculiar or out of the ordinary a mile away.  They look for inappropriate responses such as declining help in such situations.

IMO she should have spoken to the PJ immediately about her concerns and left it at that.  That would have been the professional way of dealing with the situation instead of writing an anonymous letter.

Why do you think " alarm bells were ringing" ?
What do you believe was" peculiar"  or " out of the ordinary"  in the rejection of an absolute stranger suddenly appearing and  asking quite personal questions?