Author Topic: EU membership, should we stay or leave?  (Read 125486 times)

Offline Admin

EU membership, should we stay or leave?
« on: February 23, 2016, 12:46:59 PM »
 This board is provided so that members and guests can offer an opinion on continued EU membership.

Please feel free to add your comments.

Note.  Guests may post on this board without registering.
            Posting on other boards requires registration as a member.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 04:33:52 PM by John »

pier

Re: EU membership, should we stay or leave?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 01:44:49 PM »
I am in favour of an exit as the EU has got far too big and only benefits the poor former soviet states in eastern Europe.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 06:03:16 PM »
I am in favour of an exit as the EU has got far too big and only benefits the poor former soviet states in eastern Europe.

Some will research the subject and make an intelligent choice, but most people will be swayed by the media as usual l imagine.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline mercury

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 11:30:39 PM »
I'd guess that at least 60 per cent of the population have no clue whatsoever what this is all about either because they don't understand Ny of the issues and/or they don't give a rats arse

(me included)

It's been used by cameron IMO to get his name in the history books

He is a pointless  prime minister
The sooner he's booted the better, to be replaced with someone who was born with guts

Re Europe, I think it would be a mistake to leave outright, a more spinefull PM could do more on every issue that's a grievance

Offline Admin

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 09:42:09 AM »
I'd guess that at least 60 per cent of the population have no clue whatsoever what this is all about either because they don't understand Ny of the issues and/or they don't give a rats arse

(me included)

It's been used by cameron IMO to get his name in the history books

He is a pointless  prime minister
The sooner he's booted the better, to be replaced with someone who was born with guts

Re Europe, I think it would be a mistake to leave outright, a more spinefull PM could do more on every issue that's a grievance

I agree that most people don't really understand what it is all about, they see all these new EU funded projects all over the place and think what a jolly good job.  What they fail to understand is that it is they the British taxpayer who is actually funding it.  For every £1.50 the UK government pays out to the EU the country only gets £1 back.  The UK is the second largest contributor to the EU. 

If the UK didn't have to dish out nearly £10 billion every year to the EU it could fund its own projects for much less.  Only 9% of the UK's Gross Domestic Product is trade with the EU, the majority of our trade is with the rest of the world.  Leading economists estimated that leaving the EU would see an immediate reduction of 8% in our cost of living. We are subsidising the poor countries of Europe, the former Soviet Bloc, but why should we?

Cameron has let the cat out of the bag however over the last few days, apart from the fat cat companies in London and the South East who have a vested interest in remaining in the UK, membership is all about power and control.  The powers that be are worried that Russia and Putin are gearing up for a new cold war with the Ukraine being the new front line.  They fear that if the UK were to leave, the EU would fragment and ultimately disintegrate.

The EU has shown itself to be a toothless dinosaur however, it is incapable of dealing with the migrant crisis let alone an onslaught from Russia.  It is the job of the United Nations and NATO to keep order in the world, the EU has no real power.  It has been allowed to grown into this huge wasteful and corrupt white elephant since its inception following the original Common Market agreements. It attempts to be all things to all people but that just isn't sustainable.

I vote we leave for sure and take back control of our own country.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:03:30 AM by Admin »

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 10:27:24 AM »
I can see no reason why we should continue to be in the EU, their crazy one size fits all ethos is a shambles.  If Merkel wants to be President of the United States of Europe let her get on with it.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Online Eleanor

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 01:05:36 PM »
I can see no reason why we should continue to be in the EU, their crazy one size fits all ethos is a shambles.  If Merkel wants to be President of the United States of Europe let her get on with it.

I think it's more likely that Dave wants to be President of The United States of Europe.

I think The UK should leave.  And believe me, I have done some reading on the subject.  Although as far as I am concerned, there isn't much wrong with The EU for Europe.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 01:12:11 PM »
I think it's more likely that Dave wants to be President of The United States of Europe.

I think The UK should leave.  And believe me, I have done some reading on the subject.  Although as far as I am concerned, there isn't much wrong with The EU for Europe.

The UK is the second highest contributor to the EU in monetary terms but has very little hope of winning any issue when confronted by the eastern block vote.  It's a bit like FIFA when all the corrupt African and South American countries can outvote the European ones.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

stephen25000

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 01:30:03 PM »
The only point of concern about an exit, will be how many companies and Financial Institutions will re-locate, if the vote is to leave.

Also, with the result of the vote, if  'NO', there will almost inevitably be an effect on the Stock Market, and with the fact it will take a couple of years to actually  'leave' the market, chaos could ensue.

I always find it an irony, that people object to a United States of Europe, whist they are happy to be linked with the United States of America, and the 'special relationship', which seems to consist of UK politicians lying on their backs ,wagging their proverbial tails and saying YES MASTER.  8(*(

Offline blonk

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 01:33:57 PM »
Two of the most prosperous and successful countries in Europe are Norway and Switzerland - both have healthy surpluses, and both punch significantly above their weight by being the bases for many international organisations and international conferences.

'Take back control' is the message that the 'Leave' campaign needs to hammer home.

Michael Gove, the Justice Minister, got it quite right, legally, today, when he simply pointed out that the European Court could easily overrule all the petty gains that Cameron claims to have made from all his jet-setting to places like Hungary, Estonia sand Slovenia, begging for crumbs from the EU table. Cameron even admitted it in a statement this morning, when he conceded that the European Court would merely 'take into account' the 28-nation agreement last week, not rubber-stamp it.

Even the crumbs he got are worthless       

Offline blonk

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 01:41:16 PM »
The UK is the second highest contributor to the EU in monetary terms but has very little hope of winning any issue when confronted by the eastern block vote. It's a bit like FIFA when all the corrupt African and South American countries can outvote the European ones.
Or the Eurovision song contest, where Poland votes for the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Lithuania, Lithuania votes for Poland, Slovakia, Lithuania and Latvia, Latvia votes for Estonia, Lithuania, Poland and Slovakia..., Slovakia votes for...

For all the claims for Britain being 'stronger in Europe', on many EU decisions the United Kingdom of 65 million people has an equal voice with the 400,000 souls of Luxembourg and of Estonia, whose national budget is below that of Essex County Council.

ETA: The polls over the past few months show a steady, but declining majority, for 'Remain'. But the first one since Cameron announced the referendum date gives 'Leave' a 1% lead: 39% to 38% - with 23% undecided:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 01:45:25 PM by blonk »

stephen25000

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 01:43:50 PM »
Two of the most prosperous and successful countries in Europe are Norway and Switzerland - both have healthy surpluses, and both punch significantly above their weight by being the bases for many international organisations and international conferences.

'Take back control' is the message that the 'Leave' campaign needs to hammer home.

Michael Gove, the Justice Minister, got it quite right, legally, today, when he simply pointed out that the European Court could easily overrule all the petty gains that Cameron claims to have made from all his jet-setting to places like Hungary, Estonia sand Slovenia, begging for crumbs from the EU table. Cameron even admitted it in a statement this morning, when he conceded that the European Court would merely 'take into account' the 28-nation agreement last week, not rubber-stamp it.

Do you think Cameron would have got anything of value ?

He is a bit of a laughing stock.

stephen25000

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 01:44:56 PM »
Or the Eurovision song contest, where Poland votes for the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Lithuania, Lithuania votes for Poland, Slovakia, Lithuania and Latvia, Latvia votes for Estonia, Lithuania, Poland and Slovakia..., Slovakia votes for...

For all the claims for Britain being 'stronger in Europe', on many EU decisions the United Kingdom of 65 million people has an equal voice with the 400,000 souls of Luxembourg and of Estonia, whose national budget is below that of Essex County Council.

Well the Eurovision Song contest has been a joke for years.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 01:46:42 PM »

Gosh.  Fancy agreeing with you for a change.  Although it doesn't actually affect me personally.  So my opinion is truly altruistic.
It just isn't working for Britain, and it never really has.  Perhaps because Britain has never been actually In.

Offline Admin

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 02:23:36 PM »

ETA: The polls over the past few months show a steady, but declining majority, for 'Remain'. But the first one since Cameron announced the referendum date gives 'Leave' a 1% lead: 39% to 38% - with 23% undecided:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum

All polls we have conducted on twitter consistently show a massive 80%+ want to leave.

https://twitter.com/Justice_forum/status/697051777871540224

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 02:27:41 PM by Admin »