Author Topic: Glyn Razzell and the murder of his wife Linda Razzell in 2002.  (Read 13453 times)

Offline Nicholas

Re: Glyn Razzell and the murder of his wife Linda Razzell in 2002.
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 10:35:00 PM »
lets hope tonight's programme gives us more to go on. We always assume how people would act in certain settings but we dont even really know how we would react ourselves.

Right now there hasnt been anything that shouts out wrongly convicted but like you say mrswah who knows what will be shown tonight.

I will be watching with interest.

Today, after reviewing the case at London's Royal Courts of Justice, Mr Justice Pitchers ruled that the minimum jail "tariff" Razzell deserves for his crime is 16 years.

Even after time he spent on remand before his trial is taken into account, the judge's ruling means that Razzell cannot even apply for parole until late 2019.

The judge said the couple married in 1983 and had four children. However, Mrs Razzell confessed to her husband a brief affair she had had in 1999 and their marriage declined into bitterness.

Razzell, who worked for Allied Dunbar, himself began a new relationship and his wife launched divorce proceedings in 2000. He moved out soon afterwards, leaving her to look after their children.

As the rancorous divorce case ground on, Razzell was ordered to pay £650-a-month in child maintenance. He lost his job in 2001 and the battle ground between husband and wife moved on to his lump sum severance package, the whereabouts of which he refused to disclose.

In 2002, Mrs Razzell's solicitors obtained a freezing order against her husband's bank account and the judge said he must have realised that he was likely to lose his share of the matrimonial home and a proportion of his severance package.

Mr Justice Pitchers added: "This would have had a greater impact on him than on most men because the evidence in the case showed that he placed an exceptionally high importance on money and would have been extremely resentful that his wife seemed to be getting the better of him in this area".

Setting Razzell's minimum jail tariff at 16 years, the judge described him as an "obsessive planner" who had made careful notes of meetings and "a series of 'What if' flowcharts concerning the possible outcomes of his wife's disappearance".

The arrangement to swap cars for the day with a friend would have enabled him to approach his wife without arousing her suspicions.

Describing it as "a planned killing carried out in cold blood", the judge added: "His motive was partly money and partly anger that his wife was getting the better of him. The sums involved were not large, but they meant a great deal to him".

The murder had robbed Razzell's four children of their mother and the judge said: "He came across as an extremely unemotional man who looked first at the financial consequences of his actions".

Observing that there were "no mitigating features", the judge said that, were Razzell being sentenced for the first time today, under tougher guidelines now in force, he would have given him an 18-year minimum jail term.

Once Razzell has served his 16-year minimum term, he will still only be freed if he can persuade the Parole Board he poses no serious public danger. When, and if, released, he will remain on perpetual "life licence", subject to prison recall if he puts a foot wrong ever again

http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/2126047.Wife_murderer_will_serve_at_least_16_years/
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 10:45:18 PM by Stephanie »
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 10:59:06 PM »
lets hope tonight's programme gives us more to go on. We always assume how people would act in certain settings but we dont even really know how we would react ourselves.

Right now there hasnt been anything that shouts out wrongly convicted but like you say mrswah who knows what will be shown tonight.

I will be watching with interest.

Louise Shorter described Razzell as "rattled" when he informed her he didn't want to take the lie detector test. I'd call him controlling. His comment about not having his day disrupted was telling to say the least and again indicative of his pathology.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 11:03:41 PM by Stephanie »
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Caroline

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 03:30:20 PM »
As far as I know, neither Glyn Razzell, nor Jeremy Bamber have actually been diagnosed as psychopaths.

As far as I know, the latter did take a lie detector test, passed it, yet most people on this forum think he's guilty.

I can't claim to know much about lie detector tests, but I have heard that it's possible to pass one if you really believe that you're innocent, even if you're not!  Like Glyn Razzell, I would be afraid of what it might throw up, even if I knew I was innocent, so I don't blame him for refusing to do it.

I watched the programme last night, and still believe in his innocence. Part 2 might have me eating my words----who knows!

Really? How can you think he's innocent when his wife's blood ended up in the boot of a car that was only borrowed for a short time?

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2018, 04:30:28 PM »

Today, after reviewing the case at London's Royal Courts of Justice, Mr Justice Pitchers ruled that the minimum jail "tariff" Razzell deserves for his crime is 16 years.

Even after time he spent on remand before his trial is taken into account, the judge's ruling means that Razzell cannot even apply for parole until late 2019.

The judge said the couple married in 1983 and had four children. However, Mrs Razzell confessed to her husband a brief affair she had had in 1999 and their marriage declined into bitterness.

Razzell, who worked for Allied Dunbar, himself began a new relationship and his wife launched divorce proceedings in 2000. He moved out soon afterwards, leaving her to look after their children.

As the rancorous divorce case ground on, Razzell was ordered to pay £650-a-month in child maintenance. He lost his job in 2001 and the battle ground between husband and wife moved on to his lump sum severance package, the whereabouts of which he refused to disclose.

In 2002, Mrs Razzell's solicitors obtained a freezing order against her husband's bank account and the judge said he must have realised that he was likely to lose his share of the matrimonial home and a proportion of his severance package.

Mr Justice Pitchers added: "This would have had a greater impact on him than on most men because the evidence in the case showed that he placed an exceptionally high importance on money and would have been extremely resentful that his wife seemed to be getting the better of him in this area".

Setting Razzell's minimum jail tariff at 16 years, the judge described him as an "obsessive planner" who had made careful notes of meetings and "a series of 'What if' flowcharts concerning the possible outcomes of his wife's disappearance".

The arrangement to swap cars for the day with a friend would have enabled him to approach his wife without arousing her suspicions.

Describing it as "a planned killing carried out in cold blood", the judge added: "His motive was partly money and partly anger that his wife was getting the better of him. The sums involved were not large, but they meant a great deal to him".

The murder had robbed Razzell's four children of their mother and the judge said: "He came across as an extremely unemotional man who looked first at the financial consequences of his actions".

Observing that there were "no mitigating features", the judge said that, were Razzell being sentenced for the first time today, under tougher guidelines now in force, he would have given him an 18-year minimum jail term.

Once Razzell has served his 16-year minimum term, he will still only be freed if he can persuade the Parole Board he poses no serious public danger. When, and if, released, he will remain on perpetual "life licence", subject to prison recall if he puts a foot wrong ever again

http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/2126047.Wife_murderer_will_serve_at_least_16_years/

Razzell is another chancer adding to the endless list of chancers - including Bamber.

It's interesting to learn that he's now in open prison conditions having failed to own up to murdering Linda Razzell; thus having not been rehabilitated.

I wonder how the parole board will deal with this, especially after the Worboys case and cases like it?

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 04:38:16 PM »
Also interesting to note in this case is the fact that when Razzell was arrested police found a noose set up in his loft, yet no mention of it in the documentary?

I don't think his story deserved to be told. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2018/06/20/conviction-murder-suburbia-review-story-deserves-told/

I do however think he should be ordered to own up to where Linda Razzells body is before he is allowed out of prison; though I imagine he's already been allowed out on licence for days out if he only has a year of his sentence left?

Does anyone know?

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
  • Thinking outside the box, as usual-------
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2018, 05:46:21 PM »
Really? How can you think he's innocent when his wife's blood ended up in the boot of a car that was only borrowed for a short time?

Have a read of Chapter 1 of "The Nicholas Cases" by Bob Woffinden.   It mentions several matters that were not mentioned in the TV documentary.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 06:00:46 PM »
Have a read of Chapter 1 of "The Nicholas Cases" by Bob Woffinden.   It mentions several matters that were not mentioned in the TV documentary.

Maybe it does, but you really can't get passed the blood in the boot. Plus there seems to be a lot of rumour and gossip surrounding affairs etc.

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2018, 06:39:40 PM »

I wasn't aware Bob Woffinden passed away last month?

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2018, 09:51:08 PM »
I wasn't aware Bob Woffinden passed away last month?

I hadn't realised that either.

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2018, 12:30:08 PM »
I hadn't realised that either.

Very sad. He was only 70!  8(8-))

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2018, 01:15:06 PM »
Totally agree, also he explanation of how her blood ended up in the boot is laughable.

Nick Rose is another prisoner maintaining innocence; he also refused to take a lie detector test and admit where his victims body is https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1483791/Girls-murderer-jailed-for-life-but-refuses-to-say-where-her-body-is.html

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/politics/2012/10/who-killed-charlotte-pinkney

https://court-appeal.vlex.co.uk/vid/-52563793
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 01:38:33 PM by Stephanie »

Offline John

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2018, 02:20:08 AM »
I must say I found the Inside Justice investigation on BBC2 tonight extremely interesting.  Several points stood out but what really took the biscuit was that Glyn Razzell bottled it when faced with the polygraph after agreeing all along to have one. Ultimately though, it was the damning blood spatter from his wife which was found in the boot of the Renault Laguna he had borrowed which sealed his fate and ended all hope for him that this conviction could ever be set aside.

Like Bamber, I fear Razzell will never be able to come to terms with his guilt.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 02:45:31 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2018, 09:32:55 PM »
I must say I found the Inside Justice investigation on BBC2 tonight extremely interesting.  Several points stood out but what really took the biscuit was that Glyn Razzell bottled it when faced with the polygraph after agreeing all along to have one. Ultimately though, it was the damning blood spatter from his wife which was found in the boot of the Renault Laguna he had borrowed which sealed his fate and ended all hope for him that this conviction could ever be set aside.

Like Bamber, I fear Razzell will never be able to come to terms with his guilt.

I found the Inside Justice investigation very interesting too, but I do not feel that Glyn Razzell's guilt is cut and dried. It did surprise me, however, that a man who has been in prison for some 14 years could sound so composed on the telephone. Of course, he might be guilty, but I am still pondering the following:

I would like to know more about the supposed connection with Christopher Halliwell. The Inside Justice team could not verify this, but that doesn't necessarily mean that there was no connection.

In the first chapter of Bob Woffinden's "The Nicholas Cases", he says that a bloodstained t shirt belonging to Linda's partner was found under their bed, and that the blood matched Linda's.  I would be interested to know more about this too.

There were a number of sightings, supposedly of Linda, after the date when she disappeared. We could dismiss this as "hearsay" or "mistakes" or "gossip", but at least one of the people knew Linda well, and she was not called to give evidence at the trial.

On the day before her disappearance, Linda and her partner were said to have visited three banks, Linda had put a question mark beside the date March 19th on her calendar, and had researched travel tickets. According to Woffinden, Linda 's partner had been" doing his research" on Glyn Razzell, and where he lived, and a photograph of the house he was renting was found on a computer belonging to either Linda or her partner.

I agree that Linda's blood in the car that Razzell was using on 19th March is damning, but it is also interesting that this car had previously been thoroughly examined and no blood had been found. The owner of the car had also cleaned it thoroughly, and he didn't spot any blood either. This blood was said to be visible.

Luminol, apparently, can react to substances other than blood. IMO, this case is more complicated than some of us think!

Offline Caroline

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2018, 11:34:12 PM »
I found the Inside Justice investigation very interesting too, but I do not feel that Glyn Razzell's guilt is cut and dried. It did surprise me, however, that a man who has been in prison for some 14 years could sound so composed on the telephone. Of course, he might be guilty, but I am still pondering the following:

I would like to know more about the supposed connection with Christopher Halliwell. The Inside Justice team could not verify this, but that doesn't necessarily mean that there was no connection.

In the first chapter of Bob Woffinden's "The Nicholas Cases", he says that a bloodstained t shirt belonging to Linda's partner was found under their bed, and that the blood matched Linda's.  I would be interested to know more about this too.

There were a number of sightings, supposedly of Linda, after the date when she disappeared. We could dismiss this as "hearsay" or "mistakes" or "gossip", but at least one of the people knew Linda well, and she was not called to give evidence at the trial.

On the day before her disappearance, Linda and her partner were said to have visited three banks, Linda had put a question mark beside the date March 19th on her calendar, and had researched travel tickets. According to Woffinden, Linda 's partner had been" doing his research" on Glyn Razzell, and where he lived, and a photograph of the house he was renting was found on a computer belonging to either Linda or her partner.

I agree that Linda's blood in the car that Razzell was using on 19th March is damning, but it is also interesting that this car had previously been thoroughly examined and no blood had been found. The owner of the car had also cleaned it thoroughly, and he didn't spot any blood either. This blood was said to be visible.

Luminol, apparently, can react to substances other than blood. IMO, this case is more complicated than some of us think!

It may well do, but it can't test positive for Linda's DNA if her DNA wasn't present.

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2018, 10:24:33 AM »
It may well do, but it can't test positive for Linda's DNA if her DNA wasn't present.

Point taken, Caroline!

I do wonder how reliable the forensic evidence in this case actually is: neither Linda, nor her body were present when the blood was supposedly matched to her.

I also find it very strange that the blood was only noticed after the car had been examined thoroughly, and cleaned by its owner.

I also find it odd that no other evidence of Linda's presence was found in the car.

https://glynrazzell.org.uk/case-overview

https://insidetime.org/the-case-of-glyn-razzell/