Author Topic: BBC 1's Universal Credit: Inside the Welfare State  (Read 3306 times)

Offline faithlilly

BBC 1's Universal Credit: Inside the Welfare State
« on: February 04, 2020, 11:03:53 PM »
Member’s thoughts ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline John

Re: BBC 1's Universal Credit: Inside the Welfare State
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 11:49:16 PM »
Member’s thoughts ?

Haven't viewed it yet but Universal Credit has severely penalised self employed individuals. The Tax Credits system was much fairer towards the self employed.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 03:35:57 PM »
I just watched it and I have to say I didn’t feel as shocked and disgusted as I expected to.   Under a Labour government how would the situation be greatly improved?  If someone decides they just don’t want to work and instead live off benefits for the rest of their lives would that be facilitated by a Labour government? 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 11:06:43 PM »
Of course this would be just as pertinent on the Johnson Liar thread.

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/universal-credit-boris-johnson-pmqs-people-work-benefit-dwp-false-statement-statistics-authority-1386222?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=ijp

A comment made by the Prime Minister about the number of people who are in employment as a result of Universal Credit has been confirmed to be incorrect by the UK Statistics Authority.

Boris Johnson claimed in January that 200,000 people had already found jobs because of the benefit during a session of Prime Minister's Questions after being challenged over its its effect on poverty.

The shadow work and pensions secretary Margaret Greenwood, who sought to fact-check the statement, has now called on the Prime Minister to apologise for his claim which she said was "simply wrong".

“It is vital that the Prime Minister gets his facts straight. Anything less is to let down all of those people who are on Universal Credit," she told i.

Mr Johnson made the comment after Jeremy Corbyn claimed the flagship welfare programme was increasing poverty.

"Universal Credit has in fact succeeded in getting 200,000 people into jobs," Mr Johnson responded at the time, adding: "Contrary to what the right honourable gentleman says, the number of people in poverty has diminished by 400,000 under this Government and wages have been increasing solidly for the last 22 months."

'Misleading'

On hearing the comment, Ms Greenwood was concerned that Mr Johnson's assertion was "misleading" and asked Sir David Norgrove, chair of the UK Statistics Authority, which regulates the reporting of official numbers, to "investigate".

In a letter dated 24 January, she wrote: "I am concerned that an expectation by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) that Universal Credit would result in 200,000 more people in work by the time that it has been fully rolled out appears to have been translated by the Prime Minister into something that has already happened."

Ms Greenwood pointed out the rollout was only "over a third of the way through completion" and that the DWP was unable to measure whether it was achieving its claim of getting 200,000 additional people into work because of the new system.

A report from the National Audit Office has said the department "will never be able to measure whether Universal Credit actually leads to 200,000 more people in work, because it cannot isolate the effect of Universal Credit from other economic factors in increasing employment".

In a response sent on 4 February, Sir David confirmed the 200,000 figure would only be true once the rollout of Universal Credit is complete, which has been delayed to 2024.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline faithlilly

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 02:11:04 PM »
Haven't viewed it yet but Universal Credit has severely penalised self employed individuals. The Tax Credits system was much fairer towards the self employed.

Yes, Uber drivers claiming housing and council tax reductions and child tax credits.   Also, big issue sellers 'self employed'

Many 'Self employed' people were playing the system big time.

Universal credit is nasty and hurts those who need the help the most. Those who abuse it are stealing from those who really need it- who can fix that? the greedy steal from the needy.

Fact is there isn't enough money to go around everyone.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 02:19:26 PM »
Yes, Uber drivers claiming housing and council tax reductions and child tax credits.   Also, big issue sellers 'self employed'

Many 'Self employed' people were playing the system big time.

Universal credit is nasty and hurts those who need the help the most. Those who abuse it are stealing from those who really need it- who can fix that? the greedy steal from the needy.

Fact is there isn't enough money to go around everyone.

If large companies paid the tax they should that would go a long way to supplying the money we need.

Benefit fraud accounts for a tiny fraction of the welfare budget.

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 02:31:30 PM »
If large companies paid the tax they should that would go a long way to supplying the money we need.

Benefit fraud accounts for a tiny fraction of the welfare budget.

If ALL people paid they tax you mean?   Benefit fraud  is larger than you would have us believe.

I stand by my claim the greedy are hurting the needy (I include large companies).

The large Tech companies are holding our country to ransom!  Don't buy from AMAZON- none of our family do  nor do we buy coffee or use google services.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 02:51:47 PM »

If ALL people paid they tax you mean?   Benefit fraud  is larger than you would have us believe.

I stand by my claim the greedy are hurting the needy (I include large companies).

The large Tech companies are holding our country to ransom!  Don't buy from AMAZON- none of our family do  nor do we buy coffee or use google services.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39980793

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2020, 02:54:52 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39980793

Sorry, I don't read BBC links. I have different more to the ground sources on these matters.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2020, 02:56:13 PM »
Sorry, I don't read BBC links. I have different more to the ground sources on these matters.

Then I’d be really interested in your sources. I’m quite willing to be proved wrong.

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2020, 03:19:59 PM »
Then I’d be really interested in your sources. I’m quite willing to be proved wrong.

I have no interest in proving you  right or wrong on any issue, you have your belief and sources I have mine.

You trust yours, I trust mine.

A group of  independent journalists- (Uni friends) who get their stories buried- as it doesn't fit a narrative. And staff who work within the social work and DWP.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2020, 03:23:20 PM »

I have no interest in proving you  right or wrong on any issue, you have your belief and sources I have mine.

You trust yours, I trust mine.

A group of  independent journalists- (Uni friends) who get their stories buried- as it doesn't fit a narrative. And staff who work within the social work and DWP.

Can I ask why your journalist friend’s work was buried ?

I also have a friend who has worked for the DWP for over 30 years and my view is broadly backed up by what she tells me.

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2020, 03:38:44 PM »
Can I ask why your journalist friend’s work was buried ?

I also have a friend who has worked for the DWP for over 30 years and my view is broadly backed up by what she tells me.

It wasn't popular!  two journalist were in AFRICA some years ago to capture updates from 'charties' and discovered sex abuse from white males against young black girls.

another was:  Money being sent to Palestine for food clothing and help for Palestinians who had been removed (re-located) from Israel- was confiscated and Hamas kept that money for arms etc.

atrocities on both sides was written about. but nothing printed in UK.. just celebrities with no knickers and side boobs showing...

The DWP is so understaffed  they cannot keep track or investigate the whole lot , the sheer scale is horrendous.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2020, 04:43:06 PM »

It wasn't popular!  two journalist were in AFRICA some years ago to capture updates from 'charties' and discovered sex abuse from white males against young black girls.

another was:  Money being sent to Palestine for food clothing and help for Palestinians who had been removed (re-located) from Israel- was confiscated and Hamas kept that money for arms etc.

atrocities on both sides was written about. but nothing printed in UK.. just celebrities with no knickers and side boobs showing...

The DWP is so understaffed  they cannot keep track or investigate the whole lot , the sheer scale is horrendous.

The Oxfam/Haiti scandal proves that scandals involving white, male charity workers and the young women they are supposed to be helping certainly is saleable and people are interested.

The second case I’m sure this happens with many, many charity donations and I’d have thought our rightwing press would be all over a story like that.....especially if they could entwine Corbyn in the narrative.

And unfortunately you can’t say the sheer scale of benefit fraud is horrendous while at the same time saying there isn't the staff to investigate it. How do we know ?