Author Topic: Carlos Anjos: Release of e-fits "is very unprofessional"  (Read 12412 times)

Benita

Re: Carlos Anjos: Release of e-fits "is very unprofessional"
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 12:11:38 AM »
8@??)(

Its irrational and hypocritical to bash another police force...glass houses

As for secrecy, erm, British police dont tell the media everything every second either
 @)(++(*

your idol amaral bashed the uk police force in the early days of the case ..one of the reasons he was kicked off the case ..theres a fact for ya 8((()*/

Redblossom

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 12:16:21 AM »
your idol amaral bashed the uk police force in the early days of the case ..one of the reasons he was kicked off the case ..theres a fact for ya 8((()*/

I dont have any idols,I use common sense and my own informed thoughts and decisions and  not prayers blind faith brainwashing and lighting candles to see the truth or anything else
 8((()*/

And no, you are mistaken he didnt bash the UK police in the early days, you are back to front as usual,but do please provide cites, like the video cite we are still waiting for for malinka  that you accused saying certain things off your old pc lol

Sweet dreams though! Im patient
 8((()*/

Catch u later an interesting horror film beckons, tara

Benita

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 12:21:18 AM »
I dont have any idols,I use common sense and my own informed thoughts and decisions and  not prayers blind faith brainwashing and lighting candles to see the truth or anything else
 8((()*/

And no, you are mistaken he didnt bash the UK police in the early days, you are back to front as usual,but do please provide cites, like the video cite we are still waiting for for malinka  that you accused saying certain things off your old pc lol

Sweet dreams though! Im patient
 8((()*/

Catch u later an interesting horror film beckons, tara

"Catch u later an interesting horror film beckons, tara"

a horror ? are you in it like  @)(++(*

icabodcrane

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 12:23:49 AM »
secrecy laws could mean that folk get away with all kinds of things ..imo its just a get out clause..a cover up ..tin hat ready  8(>((

I don't know much about this  'secrecy law'  and  what it means in practice,   or in what way it reflects and upholds an article of the Portuguese written Constitution   (  We, in the UK do not   have   a written Constitution so there is nothing we can measure it against  ) 

I am wondering,   though,  if the reasoning behind it is to protect the innocent

For instance,   'bundleman'  ... who,   we have  been told,  is  an innocent man  ...  as might be the man the Smith family saw whose image has now been shown in three countries 

I need to know more about the principle defended by the Portuguese secrecy law before I condemn it out of hand

Offline Montclair

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 12:28:50 AM »
I don't know much about this  'secrecy law'  and  what it means in practice,   or in what way it reflects and upholds an article of the Portuguese written Constitution   (  We, in the UK do not   have   a written Constitution so there is nothing we can measure it against  ) 

I am wondering,   though,  if the reasoning behind it is to protect the innocent

For instance,   'bundleman'  ... who,   we have  been told,  is  an innocent man  ...  as might be the man the Smith family saw whose image has now been shown in three countries 

I need to know more about the principle defended by the Portuguese secrecy law before I condemn it out of hand

As I already posted secrecy laws apply to on going investigations so that the police forces will not be subject to pressure. Once the investigations are closed, shelved or solved, all the files are made public. This also applies to all trial transcripts, which are almost always open to the public. So, I do not see what anyone could condemn here.

Benita

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 12:43:14 AM »
the secrecy laws effected missing madeleine ..the pj didn't want to show madeleine's photo to the public so that people could recognise her if seen..its a norm in the uk and other countries ..how else would folk know who they were looking out for ..

the trouble for amaral was ..he didn't heckle on the mccanns having such a huge campaign to find their daughter.

>@@(*&)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 01:24:08 AM by John »

AnneGuedes

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2013, 12:46:57 AM »

This is not a specificity of Portugal but of the inquisitorial system, therefore it exists in France also.
In the seventies, the judge Henri Pascal, in charge of the media circus Bruay en Artois case, intended to achieve a transparent instruction and claimed his opposition to the secret of instruction and his wish of an "open justice". The result was a tragic mess.
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affaire_de_Bruay-en-Artois

Cariad

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2013, 11:04:34 AM »
As I already posted secrecy laws apply to on going investigations so that the police forces will not be subject to pressure. Once the investigations are closed, shelved or solved, all the files are made public. This also applies to all trial transcripts, which are almost always open to the public. So, I do not see what anyone could condemn here.

I know someone will swiftly correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we do this in Britain too? Police won't release information about an ongoing investigation will they?

We don't have secret courts yet Montclair and I sincerely hope we never will! It's something that the Tories tried to get in, but the Lib Dems actually stood up to them and stymied it.

Offline jassi

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2013, 11:08:42 AM »
I've never heard that UK police release any of their files to the general public. Trial proceedings are available because they are held in public and often reported in the newspapers.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Carana

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2013, 12:18:28 PM »
I expect that there are sound principles at the heart of it.

However, as one Portuguese tabloid journalist once put it (and I'm having to paraphrase as I don't have the exact quotation any more):

Judicial secrecy is like traffic lights. Everyone knows they exist, but no one takes any notice.

The reasoning was that if it were strictly enforced, there would be no crime reporting in Portugal (until, presumably, a case came to trial). 

An organised police-media desk might help in that respect: the media would get their updates and the police/prosecutor's office would have more assistance and be under less pressure.

In the meantime, where did all the "leaks" in the Portuguese press come from in 2007?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2013, 12:22:44 PM »
I expect that there are sound principles at the heart of it.

However, as one Portuguese tabloid journalist once put it (and I'm having to paraphrase as I don't have the exact quotation any more):

Judicial secrecy is like traffic lights. Everyone knows they exist, but no one takes any notice.

The reasoning was that if it were strictly enforced, there would be no crime reporting in Portugal (until, presumably, a case came to trial). 

An organised police-media desk might help in that respect: the media would get their updates and the police/prosecutor's office would have more assistance and be under less pressure.

In the meantime, where did all the "leaks" in the Portuguese press come from in 2007?

Was there a deliberate campaign to tarnish the McCanns...perhaps

Offline Carana

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2013, 12:43:17 PM »

Was there a deliberate campaign to tarnish the McCanns...perhaps

Many of these "leaks" were garbled half-myths. To poinpoint just a few:

- The 14 bottles of wine (based only on a sheet for the entire evening in the restaurant in which T9 were not the only diners);

- Some rent-a-gob on Portuguese TV spouting about the group being "swingers" (the origin of that seems to have been a long-defunct UK forum, quite possibly the Mirror);

- "Tufts of hair" and "bodily fluids" in the non-existent wheel well (there were no "tufts" of hair, there were hair fragments found in the car, which could have come from anyone, and "bodily fluids" has no basis in verifiable fact aside from Keela freezing at a particular spot in the boot;

- "Confidential" manuals available only to law enforcement (they have all been freely available on the Internet... there is nothing confidential about them;

Some were total inventions, e.g.:

- A syringe found (there wasn't one).

One or two that do seem to be based on fact:

- The "Why didn't you come..." story, but released when they were in Brussels campaigning for an alert system.

Offline jassi

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2013, 12:45:49 PM »
Were these leaks, or over-imaginative journalists desperate for some copy.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Luz

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2013, 12:58:23 PM »
To be honest, I don't think there will be many countries in the world who will be looking to Portugal for a positive example of how to run a police force. That's  not meant to be cruel, that's just a reality.

Considering that Portugal is still one of the countries in Europe with the lowest crime rate and the highest crime resolution. Thank you for keeping off.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2013, 01:21:19 PM »

Many came from the UK tabloids who are very astute and trained to get/built informations.