Author Topic: Was the marketing ploy a long term strategy and why?  (Read 5591 times)

Offline j.rob

Was the marketing ploy a long term strategy and why?
« on: January 15, 2014, 05:58:09 PM »
I cannot believe that. It is possible that following up the most likely suspects will cause so much embarrassment and scandal that the investigation is deliberately running in the wrong direction. Alternatively, they may be keeping everyone guessing. There may be political pressure. Or (let's hope) they are determined to bring a water-tight case.

I still struggle to understand the high level of protection that the McCann's have enjoyed from high places which started so early on. The most simplistic explanation is that it was a story of great human interest that would deflect attention from other issues in the press. And maybe a way for Brown et al to curry favour with the public. Plus it sold Murdoch papers.

A Foreign Office story appeared in the press as early as midnight on the night of the 4th May 2007.  That's an astonishingly short space of time. And it does not do anything that would help in a search for Madeleine - does not describe her appearance, for instance.

Other explanations become more convoluted although cannot be ruled out. There is the nuclear link, Operation Ore, other possible links include research interests, tagging of children and so on.

To my mind, the early setting up of a Fund using public money is dubious.

But, from the mouths of the parents: 'at the bottom of all this is Madeleine'.

Yes, she always was low down on the list of priorities for the McCanns although she was useful as a 'marketing ploy'.

Can you think of a more cynical comment from a parent who is supposedly grieving for his missing child? It is absolutely dispicable.

As for Carter Ruck slapping defamation and libel suits on anyone who dares question the McCann version of the gospel truth. Well, the Fund comes in mighty handy when you want to sanitize your reputations and bully your opponents into submission.

Still, tic-toc goes the clock......is time running out for the McCann Circus act? The British public have been made complete fools of, and, to add insult to injury, we are also picking up the bill for it!

Who is laughing all the way to the bank?

« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 03:43:14 AM by John »

Redblossom

Re: Was the marketing ploy a long term strategy and why?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 06:57:56 PM »
Jrob maybe a few interests coincided..and they scratched each others backs,,,..but I wouldnt go down the road of conspiracy theories re taggng of kids, cloning, op ore,illumaniti, etc etc for  your own mental health LOL?.one thing is for sure 100% though IMO this story is full of lies and deception and its not to do with finding a child

Offline Carana

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 08:11:20 PM »
I cannot believe that. It is possible that following up the most likely suspects will cause so much embarrassment and scandal that the investigation is deliberately running in the wrong direction. Alternatively, they may be keeping everyone guessing. There may be political pressure. Or (let's hope) they are determined to bring a water-tight case.

I still struggle to understand the high level of protection that the McCann's have enjoyed from high places which started so early on. The most simplistic explanation is that it was a story of great human interest that would deflect attention from other issues in the press. And maybe a way for Brown et al to curry favour with the public. Plus it sold Murdoch papers.

A Foreign Office story appeared in the press as early as midnight on the night of the 4th May 2007.  That's an astonishingly short space of time. And it does not do anything that would help in a search for Madeleine - does not describe her appearance, for instance.

Other explanations become more convoluted although cannot be ruled out. There is the nuclear link, Operation Ore, other possible links include research interests, tagging of children and so on.

To my mind, the early setting up of a Fund using public money is dubious.

But, from the mouths of the parents: 'at the bottom of all this is Madeleine'.

Yes, she always was low down on the list of priorities for the McCanns although she was useful as a 'marketing ploy'.

Can you think of a more cynical comment from a parent who is supposedly grieving for his missing child? It is absolutely dispicable.

As for Carter Ruck slapping defamation and libel suits on anyone who dares question the McCann version of the gospel truth. Well, the Fund comes in mighty handy when you want to sanitize your reputations and bully your opponents into submission.

Still, tic-toc goes the clock......is time running out for the McCann Circus act? The British public have been made complete fools of, and, to add insult to injury, we are also picking up the bill for it!

Who is laughing all the way to the bank?

Could you please clarify the underlined bits? In particular, where did you read that anyone described Madeleine as a good marketing ploy?

Offline jassi

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 08:16:31 PM »
Gerry himself said that in connection with using & possibly exaggerating the eye defect. Can't tell you when or where that was.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Lyall

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 08:27:42 PM »
Gerry himself said that in connection with using & possibly exaggerating the eye defect. Can't tell you when or where that was.

Vanity Fair - January 2008.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2008/02/mccanns200802

Redblossom

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 09:04:26 PM »

Yes, page 4

Marketing ploy? That  man says the most stupidest of things sometimes doesnt he. Even if the abductor DID something to her eye was still a good marketing ploy, like what? Gouge it out?

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/marketing-ploy-20924.html

Eta the most shocking thing he ever said to my mind was outside that church in PDL, where he wished for the best possible outcome for us...and added at the end and for madeleine!

why is she an after thought? Here.......

What could the best possible outcome be for him / "us" that is different to the best outcome for his daughter???? why the need to separate the two??
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:38:42 PM by Redblossom »

AnneGuedes

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 09:39:42 PM »

Eta the most shocking thing he ever said to my mind was outside that church in PDL, where he wished for the best possible outcome for us...and added at the end and for madeleine!

Mr McCann never was in a denying process. Therefore sometimes he forgets..

Redblossom

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 09:41:44 PM »
Mr McCann never was in a denying process. Therefore sometimes he forgets..

I get you!

Offline Carana

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 09:48:17 PM »

Yes, thanks Lyall.

The context is publicising the fleck in her eye as her only unique distinguishing feature to help people notice her if they saw her, otherwise she'd be like any other cute 3 year-old blonde girl.

Lyall

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 09:53:13 PM »
Yes, page 4

Marketing ploy? That  man says the most stupidest of things sometimes doesnt he. Even if the abductor DID something to her eye was still a good marketing ploy, like what? Gouge it out?

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/marketing-ploy-20924.html

why is she an after thought? Here.......

What could the best possible outcome be for him / "us" that is different to the best outcome for his daughter???? why the need to separate the two??

I think he decided defiance was the best strategy after that performance.

Redblossom

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 10:01:52 PM »
Yes, thanks Lyall.

The context is publicising the fleck in her eye as her only unique distinguishing feature to help people notice her if they saw her, otherwise she'd be like any other cute 3 year-old blonde girl.

The point being that he thought it was worth taking the risk that something might be done to her eye.for the "marketing ploy"....the bit missed out by you  or "ignored  in the debate

Redblossom

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 10:04:37 PM »
I think he decided defiance was the best strategy after that performance.

i dont remember when exactly he got really "cocky" but it was sometime very early, may 07 for sure....must go hunt down some videos

Eta

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xadua4_mccanns-early-press-conference-2007_webcam

Argh pretty sure this was the one when he stormed off after  being asked did he know robert murat

yes same place same clothes.....
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 10:12:55 PM by Redblossom »

AnneGuedes

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 10:05:15 PM »
Yes, thanks Lyall.

A little girl snatched by paedophiles will have only her coloboma to distinguish her of other cute little girls ? Day dreaming.

Lyall

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 10:06:43 PM »
The point being that he thought it was worth taking the risk that something might be done to her eye.for the "marketing ploy"....the bit missed out by you  or "ignored  in the debate

They complained at the time to Vanity Fair that some things were written that had been said off the record didn't they? Presumably the 'marketing ploy' quote is one of them, but it was also quoted numerous times by other papers and it's still there.

Lyall

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 10:10:46 PM »
i dont remember when exactly he got really "cocky" but it was sometime very early, may 07 for sure....must go hunt down some videos

I still think what I thought at the time - they're both acting, but that may only indicate they'd been coached... badly. I do think that was the last time he tried to be emotional.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 10:12:50 PM by Lyall »