Author Topic: Kate McCann admits in her book that private criminal investigations in Portugal were illegal.  (Read 107424 times)

Offline Matthew Wyse

In her book called Madeleine, Kate McCann admits that the employing of private investigators to undertake investigations in Portugal was 'technically illegal'.   Given this admission are the McCanns really so different from Goncalo Amaral?

From Madeleine.

"Our first investigators, the Spanish company Método 3, began working for us in October. With private investigations technically illegal in Portugal, we felt the closest we could get would be a firm from somewhere on the Iberian Peninsula, which would have the advantage of familiarity with local systems, culture and geography and the best network of contacts in the region."

« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 02:46:07 AM by John »
Most people suspect the truth but few are able to admit it.

stephen25000

Well, she has admitted they carried out criminal activities. 8(0(*

Offline Angelo222

In her book called Madeleine, Kate McCann admits that the employing of private investigators to undertake investigations in Portugal was 'technically illegal'.   Given this admission are the McCanns really so different from Goncalo Amaral?

Good to see you back Matt.  You raise a very interesting point to which I agree. Knowingly getting involved in illegal activities in a foreign jurisdiction has no justification.  There is no difference between illegal and technically illegal so the McCanns are bloody lucky not to have been arrested and charged with interference in a criminal investigation.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 07:41:50 PM by John »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline sadie

Well, she has admitted they carried out criminal activities. 8(0(*
And so are all of us on here.  We are all investigating, in one direction or the other and to the best of our abilities, are we not?

Offline sadie

For goodness sake sadie, after all you've said about Amaral.

Pot calling the kettle black or what ?
Amaral is a Criminal and a proven liar

stephen25000

Amaral is a Criminal and a proven liar

....and the mccanns have carried out criminal activities.

Offline Angelo222

....and the mccanns have carried out criminal activities.

The only difference I can see is that Amaral was prosecuted and the McCanns haven't which sort of undermines the whole point of having laws at all in Portugal if they are going to pick and choose.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

stephen25000

The only difference I can see is that Amaral was prosecuted and the McCanns haven't which sort of undermines the whole point of having laws at all in Portugal if they are going to pick and choose.

Indeed Angelo.

They should have been prosecuted with the full force of the law.

Question is, why weren't they ???

Offline Mr Gray

amaral was found guilty and was featured on the amnesty international website...mccanns ...nothing

do you know the precise details of the laws involved or are you just going on the gossip on the forums

Offline Angelo222

Indeed Angelo.

They should have been prosecuted with the full force of the law.

Question is, why weren't they ???

There was always the sympathy vote but my own view is the law is the law.  If you break the law you take the consequences regardless of the circumstances.  Kate McCann's efforts to downplay their criminal activity by calling it technically illegal just doesn't wash as far as I am concerned.  Those private investigators alienated witnesses and most probably prevented people coming forward by their boasts to the press.  Not only was what they did illegal but they managed to employ crooks too in the form of Metodo3 and Halligen.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 04:19:39 PM by Angelo222 »

Je ne regrette rien!!

stephen25000

amaral was found guilty and was featured on the amnesty international website...mccanns ...nothing

do you know the precise details of the laws involved or are you just going on the gossip on the forums

...and that of course involved the convicted liar and murderer Cipriano.

stephen25000

There was always the sympathy vote but my own view is the law is the law.  If you break the law you take the consequences regardless of the circumstances.  Kate McCann's efforts to downplay their criminal activity by calling it technically illegal just doesn't wash as far as I am concerned.  Those private investigators alienated witnesses and most probably prevented people coming forward by their boasts to the press.

Precisely.

It's no good the mccanns trying to have their cake and eat it.

Offline Angelo222

Maybe you should direct that question to Kate McCann.

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Mr Gray

Maybe you should direct that question to Kate McCann.

I don't think its clear the mccanns broke any laws

stephen25000

The mccanns broke the law.

It's quite clear cut.