Author Topic: Summers & Swan - A new book - Looking For Madeleine  (Read 256061 times)

Alfred R Jones

Summers & Swan - A new book - Looking For Madeleine
« on: July 26, 2014, 03:44:58 PM »
A new book on the subject by Anthony Summers & Robbyn Swan

The 2007 disappearance of a three-year-old Madeleine McCann from her bed in Portugal proved an instant, worldwide sensation. There's been nothing like it since America's Lindbergh kidnapping eighty years ago.

Award-winning authors Anthony Summers and Robbyn Swan have produced the first independent, objective account of the case. They have examined the released Portuguese files, conducted in-depth interviews and original research to answer the questions: What can we really know about this most emotive of cases? What can we learn from it?

The Portuguese police probe ran into a dead end. Parents Gerry and Kate McCann, however, have never given up the search for Madeleine. They blitzed the media, hired private detectives, kept the case in the public eye. Speculation that the McCanns played a role in their daughter's fate, the authors demonstrate, is unfounded.

Scotland Yard's 'investigative review', ordered by the Prime Minister and begun in 2011, identified some 200 potential leads. The Yard's suspects have included a mystery paedophile who preyed on other British children. The Detective Chief Inspector heading the probe has said the little girl may still be alive.

The McCann family's private tragedy has touched millions around the world and aroused sometimes dark controversy. Looking for Madeleine is the most definitive account possible.

Biographical Notes

Anthony Summers, formally a deputy editor of the BBC's Panorama, is the author of eight investigative books and the only two-time winner of the Crime Writers' Association's top award for non-fiction. Robbyn Swan, his co-author and wife, has partnered Summers on three previous biographies and investigations. Their book The Eleventh Day, on the 9/11 attacks, was a Finalist for the 2012 Pulitzer Prize.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 11:05:53 AM by John »

Offline Wonderfulspam

Re: Summers & Swan - A new book - Looking For Madeleine
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 04:00:19 PM »
Speculation that the McCanns played a role in their daughter's fate, the authors demonstrate, is unfounded.

Fiction then.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 04:01:21 PM »

sounds like a good read

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 04:01:57 PM »

Excellent journalist. Disappointing if the above is true but I suppose if the publisher is in this country it's not surprising the book will not countenance the possibility of the McCann's being guilty.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:14:19 PM by John »
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 04:04:23 PM »
Excellent journalist. Disappointing if the above is true but I suppose if the publisher is in this country it's not surprising the book will not countenance the McCann's being guilty.

it looks like the authors have considered all the available evidence and come to the same conclusion as I and many others have
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:15:21 PM by John »

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 04:15:30 PM »

Be interesting to see how they weasel their way round Smithdad.

If he is 'the abductor' then he just so happened to bear a passing resemblance to Gerry & he had changed Maddies jammies before he took her.

If he isn't then it's just an amazing coincidence that an innocent dadlike tourist with his Madeleine doppelganger daughter, was seen in the vicinity & hasn't come forward after 7 years.

I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 04:15:43 PM »
it looks like the authors have considered all the available evidence and come to the same conclusion as I and many others have

The author also looked at the available evidence when he wrote The File on the Tsar and concluded the tsarina and her daughters had survived the massacre in the Ekaterniburg cellar and escaped towards Perm. Of course we now know that the whole imperial family did in fact perish and thus Mr Summer's research has been discredited.

As I said on the whole I do admire Summer's and his work but as demonstrated above even he is susceptible to wanting the fairy tale to be true and constructing his evidence to support it.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline Brietta

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 04:15:50 PM »
sounds like a good read

If the authors run true to form it certainly should be; given that they will be able to distance themselves from events in 2007 and will have access to archived material from then till now, this might become the definitive account of events.
The only thing that will surpass it is discovering what actually happened to Madeleine.

I look forward to reading it.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 04:19:12 PM »
If the authors run true to form it certainly should be; given that they will be able to distance themselves from events in 2007 and will have access to archived material from then till now, this might become the definitive account of events.
The only thing that will surpass it is discovering what actually happened to Madeleine.

I look forward to reading it.

I do too Brietta.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 04:24:16 PM »
The author also looked at the available evidence when he wrote The File on the Tsar and concluded the tsarina and her daughters had survived the massacre in the Ekaterniburg cellar and escaped towards Perm. Of course we now know that the whole imperial family did in fact perish and thus Mr Summer's research has been discredited.

As I said on the whole I do admire Summer's and his work but as demonstrated above even he is susceptible to wanting the fairy tale to be true and constructing his evidence to support it.

I read 'The File on the Tsar' many years ago ... and can thoroughly recommend it.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline jassi

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 04:26:17 PM »
Oh dear me - someone else cashing in on Madeleine.  How dreadful and despicable can people get ?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Brietta

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 04:26:48 PM »
I do too Brietta.

I usually wait for the paperback version of a book ... handier for carrying about ... but I'll make an exception with this one :)

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 04:33:15 PM »
I read 'The File on the Tsar' many years ago ... and can thoroughly recommend it.

I agree, an excellent read and I so wanted Summer's and Mangold's contentions to be true but as we now know unfortunately they weren't.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 05:08:47 PM by Faithlilly »

stephen25000

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 04:45:10 PM »
Speculation that the McCanns played a role in their daughter's fate, the authors demonstrate, is unfounded.

Fiction then.

Since the type of crime has not been ascertained, then ALL THEORIES are speculation

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 04:45:45 PM »
I'm looking forward to reading their analysis of the conspiracy theories surrounding the case, as well as their comments about the online campaign against the parents.