Author Topic: Do the McCanns have the same support eight years on?  (Read 25405 times)

stephen25000

Re: Do the McCanns have the same support eight years on?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2015, 09:02:37 AM »
so you   that support the mcanns see yourselves   as kinda crusaders for them??

It's more than that Carly.

What the mccanns admitted at the Leverson Inquiry is quite pertinent.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2015, 09:25:04 AM »
This is true in my experience too.   With the passage of time people move on and IMO the vast majority of the UK public no longer give a thought to the case unless there is something in the news about it.

This is quite natural IMO.

I also agree that very few people here know about the trial or the book - and if you asked them who Goncalo Amaral was - they wouldn't have a clue.

I didn't know very much about the ins and outs of Madeleine's case until the case was reopened in 2013, apart from the fact that her parents are innocent. 
I knew nothing of "the files".
I had no idea who Goncalo Amaral is.
I did not know about the organised campaigns demonising Madeleine's parents.
I knew absolutely nothing about the libel trial ... the book ... the 'documentary' or the media career Mr Amaral built on the back of the failure of his team to conduct a missing child inquiry following normal protocols.

Just a fairly average member of the Great British Public who knew nothing and cared even less, beyond feeling for a family who had lost a child and the hope that she could still be found.

When the case was reopened ... I posted a supportive comment on Yahoo. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 02:40:53 PM by John »
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Benice

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2015, 09:40:44 AM »
so you   that support the mcanns see yourselves   as kinda crusaders for them??

My 'support' is nothing to do with the McCanns per se.  I would support anyone who was being subjected to a campaign based to an extent on ignorance, lies and myths -  and by people who for some explicable reason have decided that 'human error' and 'we all make mistakes'  applies to every human being except the McCanns.   That makes no sense to me.

Neither does it make sense to me that the truly obscene horrific crimes being committed on a daily basis against little children (which anyone who has a TV cannot fail to know about) - apparently fade into insignificance compared to leaving your happy, well loved children fast asleep in their beds - while you sit less than 60 seconds walk away from them.   

I hope that is clear enough for you.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline Brietta

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2015, 09:52:27 AM »
My own view is that although support is quite widespread it has fallen steadily since Madeleine disappeared.

In the days and weeks following the disappearance there were few people who did not have sympathy for the parents, much of which translated into support by way of a donation.  As time went on however and more of the details of what transpired that day were released into the public domain, that support began to slowly diminish.  It goes without saying that much blame for this can rightly be laid at the door of the Portuguese and British Press who published articles accusing the parents of having an involvement in their daughters disappearance.  Support has never recovered from those dark days of the three arguidos.

Mr Amaral certainly played his part in destroying support, his book and dvd provided an alternative scenario to an abduction, a scenario which directly accused the parents of involvement. The publication of the case files was the final nail in the support coffin, anyone interested in the case could read the facts of the case instead of relying on second hand stories and accounts from the media.

In the end, what initially started out as shock and disbelief followed by sympathy, thereafter descended for many into uncertainty and accusation.  The attempts to ban the Amaral book, the damages trial and the subsequent appeal which has yet to be determined have all added to the uncertainty and suspicion.

Support has now levelled off after reducing from that high plateau achieved eight years ago, there is only one event which can now increase that support.

It is normal for the 'support' for missing people to wane with the passage of time.

The achievement of the Drs McCann has been their refusal to allow that to happen to Madeleine and to have eventually succeeded in getting her case investigated again.

I don't know if PR mistakes were made initially ... but the hostile attitude from a police force which continually fed pejorative comment to the press must take its place in the forming of the legend ... as much of what was insinuated and printed is common currency on today's internet despite subsequent debunking.

I believe Sandra Felguiras, who actually is a competent journalist, was dismayed when the files were released and she had access to the actual content of the FSS report.  Just try and get verification of that though as all that remains of it is one screenshot which I came across recently giving a synopsis of it on a forum.
No lizzie taylor selective edit for that one as no-one seemed to be interested in recording it for posterity.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2015, 09:56:23 AM »
We post on a discussion forum.  Were it possible to sort out the problems of the world from here ... I'm up for it ... so how do you think we should proceed?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 02:47:28 PM by John »

stephen25000

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2015, 10:20:04 AM »
We post on a discussion forum.  Were it possible to sort out the problems of the world from here ... I'm up for it ... so how do you think we should proceed?

...LOL.... &%&£(+ &%&£(+ &%&£(+

You have no idea of how inappropriate your phraseology was in what you said.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 02:47:49 PM by John »

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2015, 10:27:30 AM »
It seems to me that those supporting the McCanns give strange reasons for doing so. How could Brietta know the parents are innocent without researching the case? How could Benice decide the campaign against the McCanns was based on ignorance, lies and myths without researching this particular case and reaching a similar conclusion to Brietta's? Of course her posts are about the McCanns per se.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Brietta

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2015, 11:01:49 AM »
One of the myriad of reasons why this forum is so valuable is the fact it is properly moderated.

I know exactly how apt my phraseology is to the abuse dished out to all who do not toe the party line and I could have qualified it to ~ the gates opened to release the hounds of hell ~ so please don't do your usual deflection tactic to take us off the subject of the thread.

There is a very small ... very vociferous group of people who make it their business to hound the McCann family and who want nothing better than confirmation of their belief in the demise of a child.

I know ... for the simple reason I have met them in their unfettered state.  The Drs McCann have risen above the campaigns mounted and the adverse comments being posted probably every second of every minute for over eight years and have succeeded in having the investigation into Madeleine's case re-opened.

No mean feat.

So on that basis alone, I would say they have all the support necessary and enough good people wishing them well in their continued endeavours.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 02:50:24 PM by John »

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2015, 11:03:19 AM »
It seems to me that those supporting the McCanns give strange reasons for doing so. How could Brietta know the parents are innocent without researching the case? How could Benice decide the campaign against the McCanns was based on ignorance, lies and myths without researching this particular case and reaching a similar conclusion to Brietta's? Of course her posts are about the McCanns per se.

You mean...

I didn't know very much about the ins and outs of Madeleine's case until the case was reopened in 2013, apart from the fact that her parents are innocent.

Only the perpetrator and the McCanns know if they are innocent or guilty.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Benice

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2015, 11:12:35 AM »

On the contrary, like Brietta it was a few years before I accidentally clicked on a thread on a General Discussion board - and was shocked to the core to read the accusations and allegations being made against the McCanns - not to mention the pure venom.

Because of that  - I read up on the case  (including the files) - and fora from both sides and it became clear that much of what was being held up as evidence against the McCanns was simply  false.   Many of those falsehoods are still being peddled today as evidence but - unlike on this forum  - are allowed to go unchallenged elsewhere.

It also became clear that the opinions of some sceptics were based purely on their hatred of the McCanns (for various reasons)  and who had decided that everything the McCanns did was wrong and everything they said was wrong - whether it was or not.  That is still the case today.

I  do not know the McCanns - have never met them or spoken to them.  I'm not even sure that I would like them if I did meet them.    However, I do detest injustice, cruelty, Kangaroo courts, lynchmob mentality and those people who take great delight in other peoples misfortune  (Schardenfreud sp?) and who have latched on to this case with glee.

I do not have a problem with folk who disgree with the McCanns childcare arrangements.  As that is a matter of personal choice.     I do have a problem with folk - who in the light of there being no evidence against the McCanns have decided to embark on a permanent character assassination of them - apparently in the belief that if they can prove what 'evil, wicked' people they are - then they must have dunnit.

Sorry but that approach doesn't work for me.

AIMO.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline Brietta

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2015, 11:15:46 AM »
You mean...

Only the perpetrator and the McCanns know if they are innocent or guilty.

The inalienable presumption of innocence dictates that the Drs McCann are [presumed] innocent.

The fact they have managed to keep Madeleine's case in the public eye against the odds that she would be forgotten as so many others are indicates support for Madeleine has not waned for the simple reason her parents did not allow it to.

The fact the Policia Judiciaria and Scotland Yard are working on her case seems to me to carry a lot of support.  So from the policing point of view, support has increased ten fold from that initially received which gave up on Madeleine too soon after her disappearance.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 02:53:23 PM by John »

Offline Brietta

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2015, 11:24:20 AM »
On the contrary, like Brietta it was a few years before I accidentally clicked on a thread on a General Discussion board - and was shocked to the core to read the accusations and allegations being made against the McCanns - not to mention the pure venom.

Because of that  - I read up on the case  (including the files) - and fora from both sides and it became clear that much of what was being held up as evidence against the McCanns was simply  false.   Many of those falsehoods are still being peddled today as evidence but - unlike on this forum  - are allowed to go unchallenged elsewhere.

It also became clear that the opinions of some sceptics were based purely on their hatred of the McCanns (for various reasons)  and who had decided that everything the McCanns did was wrong and everything they said was wrong - whether it was or not.  That is still the case today.

I  do not know the McCanns - have never met them or spoken to them.  I'm not even sure that I would like them if I did meet them.    However, I do detest injustice, cruelty, Kangaroo courts, lynchmob mentality and those people who take great delight in other peoples misfortune  (Schardenfreud sp?) and who have latched on to this case with glee.

I do not have a problem with folk who disgree with the McCanns childcare arrangements.  As that is a matter of personal choice.     I do have a problem with folk - who in the light of there being no evidence against the McCanns have decided to embark on a permanent character assassination of them - apparently in the belief that if they can prove what 'evil, wicked' people they are - then they must have dunnit.

Sorry but that approach doesn't work for me.

AIMO.

The clincher for me was having my intelligence insulted by very obviously manipulated Youtube videos which are risible if they weren't so dangerous.

I always try to avoid using Godwin's law ... but they brought to mind the propaganda films directed this time against two people instead of a nation of people.

stephen25000

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2015, 11:41:32 AM »
The clincher for me was having my intelligence insulted by very obviously manipulated Youtube videos which are risible if they weren't so dangerous.

I always try to avoid using Godwin's law ... but they brought to mind the propaganda films directed this time against two people instead of a nation of people.

Propaganda for the mccanns has also been on evidence throughout.

Such as the Daily Mirror article the other day. EXTREMELY BLATANT PROPAGANDA.

You as per normal have also omitted, that the crime remains UNKNOWN.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 02:55:07 PM by John »

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2015, 11:58:11 AM »
By "of late" I meant the last few years, ie: since they stopped appealing for funds.
What is a few years? more than couple? less than a dozen?
The website has been open with "donate buttons" operable all that time.
So when did they stop appealing?
According to the accounts the donations from the public look like this:
2007/8 £1.3MM; 2009 £254k; 2010 233k; 2011 £137k; 2012 £306K; 2013 £70k; 2014 £41k.
The figures demonstrate a decline in public contributions. One can argue the why's and wherefores til the cows come home.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Brietta

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2015, 12:00:24 PM »
Propaganda for the mccanns has also been on evidence throughout.

Such as the Daily Mirror article the other day. EXTREMELY BLATANT PROPAGANDA.

You as per normal have also omitted, that the crime remains UNKNOWN.

What seems to be resented and cited more often than anything by those who have never 'supported' Madeleine McCann's parents in their endeavours on her behalf ... is the media personae presented by them over the years.

Why have they been in the public eye?  To keep Madeleine in public consciousness and awareness.

I really don't think there has been any drop in the vast well of public support for Madeleine which far outweighs the opinions of those who have campaigned against every initiative taken by her parents on her behalf.
They have been successful in one of their main objectives.
Madeleine's case is active.

If the prime objective of finding Madeleine is as successful, and there are those of us who fervently hope it is, it will be entirely down to the support given to her parents by the Policia Judiciaria and Scotland Yard and perhaps the positive thoughts of well wishers.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 02:57:48 PM by John »