Author Topic: Should A Police Investigation Be Left to the Police ?  (Read 34708 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: Should A Police Investigation Be Left to the Police ?
« Reply #150 on: January 29, 2016, 10:27:29 PM »
But if the police. Have given up...... Then why shouldn't an individual start there own investigation

They can do what they like within the law, but are unlikely to get anywhere. In fact they are more likely to make things worse, as the McCann's PI's did imo.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #151 on: January 29, 2016, 10:45:21 PM »
They can do what they like within the law, but are unlikely to get anywhere. In fact they are more likely to make things worse, as the McCann's PI's did imo.

They can hardly do worse if the police have basically closed the case... Unlikely to get anywhere... Who could blame them for trying

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #152 on: January 29, 2016, 10:56:07 PM »
They can hardly do worse if the police have basically closed the case... Unlikely to get anywhere... Who could blame them for trying

If you are discussing the McCann case it's rather unusual. Most people report something to the police and wait for the police to tell them what, if anything, they have discovered. I don't know how many people report something to the police and then inform them what crime has been committed and what they should be doing about it. I don't know how many people begin to cmplain about the police reaction within a few hours of calling them. I don't know how many people contact the press within hours of a crime being committed. I do know that anyone doing that in the UK would be spoken to quite firmly by the UK police.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #153 on: January 29, 2016, 11:06:36 PM »
If you are discussing the McCann case it's rather unusual. Most people report something to the police and wait for the police to tell them what, if anything, they have discovered. I don't know how many people report something to the police and then inform them what crime has been committed and what they should be doing about it. I don't know how many people begin to cmplain about the police reaction within a few hours of calling them. I don't know how many people contact the press within hours of a crime being committed. I do know that anyone doing that in the UK would be spoken to quite firmly by the UK police.

I'm thinking of another case
The police do not always get things right
In a free society individuals have the right to mount their own investigation

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #154 on: January 29, 2016, 11:17:40 PM »
I'm thinking of another case
The police do not always get things right
In a free society individuals have the right to mount their own investigation

I haven't disputed that, just the effectiveness. If you solved it what then? You can't make an arrest, you can't charge the perp. You then have to go to the police and persuade them you're right and get them to act, unless you're suggesting a lynch mob type action. What if your perp does a bunk while you're trying to get the police to act? Far too many complications imo.
Result = happy posting.

Offline misty

« Reply #155 on: January 29, 2016, 11:28:35 PM »
I haven't disputed that, just the effectiveness. If you solved it what then? You can't make an arrest, you can't charge the perp. You then have to go to the police and persuade them you're right and get them to act, unless you're suggesting a lynch mob type action. What if your perp does a bunk while you're trying to get the police to act? Far too many complications imo.

In your own words, you have just described exactly why the McCanns could not release the Smithman efits.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #156 on: January 30, 2016, 12:45:57 AM »
Alfie, what would you describe as the key differences between rubbishing the PJ and criticising them ?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 06:36:42 PM by John »
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #157 on: January 30, 2016, 08:25:56 AM »
In your own words, you have just described exactly why the McCanns could not release the Smithman efits.

Why not? They released others. What was special about those? Why didn't they get a full-length one done by their police artist like they did with Tannerman?
Result = happy posting.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #158 on: January 30, 2016, 08:43:40 AM »
Alfie, what would you describe as the key differences between rubbishing the PJ and criticising them ?
Would you describe this as rubbishing or criticising?

NC: What do you think, errr... Philomena, of the Portuguese police?

PM: Well, I think that they should be looking for Madeleine alive; I don't want Madeleine lost in all of this; on these allegations and counter allegations of whatever else. I don't really care about, you know, what's been said, I just want them to get out there and find Madeleine; do their job, look for her; look for her alive. The abductor has her, or has passed her on to someone else. They need to be looking for her actively. That's what's important in all this, it's Madeleine.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 06:37:23 PM by John »

Offline Brietta

« Reply #159 on: January 30, 2016, 11:35:57 AM »
I doubt anyone could legitimately criticise parents for using other avenues ... particularly if these were freeing up police resources by checking out sightings abroad etc ... unfortunately it is all part and parcel of the necessity for opprobrium and constant criticism directed at a couple desperate to find out what happened to their daughter.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 06:40:39 PM by John »
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....