Author Topic: Phone Intercept  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Innominate

Phone Intercept
« on: May 07, 2017, 11:40:57 AM »
Hello,

I may be putting 2+2 and getting 25, but I've noticed something in the phone intercepts. Ideally someone fluent in the language should check the translation.

The section of the intercept that has raised a potential query in my mind is:

Rob: Yes, that is the other side of it, the truth is that I was sitting here with my mother and ahm..I walked around the house and sat down, sat down (inaudible).

----

As soon as I read that intercept I was drawn to the pause after the and.

Is this a clue that there was another person in the house? Was the conversation "with my mother and ... [someone else]"?

Not possible to be certain, but a line of enquiry IMHO.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 12:46:56 AM by John »

Offline Innominate

Re: Phone Intercept
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 03:01:00 PM »
Obviously I have no idea whether anyone else was at the house on the night of the 3rd May. For the avoidance of doubt I am not stating as a fact that there was anyone else there that night, or that anyone may have had the slightest connection to the disappearance of the Madeleine.

I note that it does appear meetings were held at the house at various times:

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/SERGEY-MALINKA.htm

Quote:

--- The meetings to which he refers were carried out in the bedroom in Robert's home at Casa Liliana and in the "Baptista" supermarket, situated in Praia da Luz.

--- The other meetings, he does not know how many, but he claims there had been five or six times, occurred in a space of two or three days, where they gave information to the witness to carry out work on the page, or make changes. These meetings were conducted at his house, in the room opposite the gates, where he had the portable [computer], in the kitchen and in the "Baptista'. He does not know the specific days, but they were between 10H00 and 12H00 and in the afternoon between 18H00 and 21H00. This will have taken place in the summer of the past year. In some of those meetings MICHAELA was present.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 04:08:59 PM »

He was probably thinking about what else he was going to say rather than Who else was there.

But has anyone else got any ideas about this?

Offline misty

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 11:08:36 PM »
Hello,

I may be putting 2+2 and getting 25, but I've noticed something in the phone intercepts. Ideally someone fluent in the language should check the translation.

The section of the intercept that has raised a potential query in my mind is:

Rob: Yes, that is the other side of it, the truth is that I was sitting here with my mother and ahm..I walked around the house and sat down, sat down (inaudible).

----

As soon as I read that intercept I was drawn to the pause after the and.

Is this a clue that there was another person in the house? Was the conversation "with my mother and ... [someone else]"?

Not possible to be certain, but a line of enquiry IMHO.

"Sim, isso e o, e o outra lado da coisa, na verdade estive aqui sentado com a mae e ahm.... o engracado e que andei pela casa e sentei-me, sentei-me.."

Translates to
"Yes, this and that, and the other side of the thing, actually I was sitting here with my mother and my ah .... the funny one and I walked around the house and sat down, I sat down..."  on Google Translate.

Engracado=funny.

Of course, it was a Portuguese interpreter translating the spoken English into Portuguese & a Portuguese translator translating the written  transcript back into English which produced the copy we read in the files.

I have wondered if there was someone else in the house, too, given that JM's computer was being used that evening.
http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/oa/OA6_1/o_apenso_1_Vol_6_p1165.jpg

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 05:40:00 AM »

Was he talking about one of their dogs?

Offline Innominate

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 07:49:29 AM »
Translates to
"Yes, this and that, and the other side of the thing, actually I was sitting here with my mother and my ah .... the funny one and I walked around the house and sat down, I sat down..."  on Google Translate.

Thanks. I did not think of Google translate, which might have the advantage of a word for word literal translation.

Was he talking about one of their dogs?

I wondered that. On the other hand a dog cannot provide a very good alibi, so in the context of the question it might not have been the first thing that sprang to mind.

Pure speculation: what about 'my mother and my girlfriend' or 'my mother and my friend?'

Offline misty

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 09:21:11 PM »
Pure speculation: what about 'my mother and my girlfriend' or 'my mother and my friend?'

We can but wonder & hope that the police know more, possibly from GPS on phones (if equipped at the time) The cell phone pings in the files do not give us any information about activity between 8pm & 11pm for RM & MW but equally they should not be relied on for accuracy.

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/OA_11V/Relatorio_de_analise%20dos_primeiros_11_volumes_Page79.jpg

MW's estranged husband does not provide her with an alibi for the evening in his two statements which are very short on detail for the relevant times. Pings suggest he was not at home.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 12:46:35 AM by John »

Offline Innominate

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 07:50:53 AM »
Is there a paragraph missing from the English translation of the Portuguese?

Rob: And I was helping my mother do some little things, I think she arrived home at about eight ahm.. and I was..I think that I arrived first, I am sure, I think I am almost certain that I arrived first. I cannot remember exactly, that is the problem, I think I arrived first and joined her when she arrived and ahmm..basically I was here all night talking and laughing and that, we heard some sirens pass and I said on, that is just (inaudible) (laughs).

Phil: Hm.

Rob: That a girl has disappeared and that everything led on from there is a hell, it s a hell.

The Portuguese page is:

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/P6/06_VOLUME_VIa_Page_1689.jpg

risos = laughs, inferno = hell.

Is there an untranslated section missing?

Which Google translates to:

With the sirens going by, and then we found out early when my sister called at seven in the morning. Said that a girl had disappeared, well, it was my mother who knew, I was still in bed, I woke up, I got into the kitchen and that's when my mother told me.

???

Offline misty

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 03:20:42 PM »
Is there a paragraph missing from the English translation of the Portuguese?

Rob: And I was helping my mother do some little things, I think she arrived home at about eight ahm.. and I was..I think that I arrived first, I am sure, I think I am almost certain that I arrived first. I cannot remember exactly, that is the problem, I think I arrived first and joined her when she arrived and ahmm..basically I was here all night talking and laughing and that, we heard some sirens pass and I said on, that is just (inaudible) (laughs).

Phil: Hm.

Rob: That a girl has disappeared and that everything led on from there is a hell, it s a hell.

The Portuguese page is:

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/P6/06_VOLUME_VIa_Page_1689.jpg

risos = laughs, inferno = hell.

Is there an untranslated section missing?

Which Google translates to:

With the sirens going by, and then we found out early when my sister called at seven in the morning. Said that a girl had disappeared, well, it was my mother who knew, I was still in bed, I woke up, I got into the kitchen and that's when my mother told me.

???

You are correct, that paragraph is missing from the translation.

"Com as sirenes a passar ahm...e depois soubemos cedo, quanda es minha irma ligou as sete da manha ahm....disse que uma menina tinha desaparacedo, bom, foi a minha mae que souba, eu ainda estava na cama, accordei, entrei na cozinha e foi quando a minha mae me disse."

The time of the call from Exeter was actually 0813 hrs according to the landline phone recordsat Casa Liliana.

Offline Innominate

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 08:32:03 AM »
The time of the call from Exeter was actually 0813 hrs according to the landline phone recordsat Casa Liliana.

Would you post the link to this phone record. I'm interested in the duration of the call, if it is available.

Many thanks.

Offline misty

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 12:19:34 PM »
Would you post the link to this phone record. I'm interested in the duration of the call, if it is available.

Many thanks.

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/oa/OA2_COM/O_Apenso_2_com_Page_017.jpg