Author Topic: Donald Trump arrives at Stansted Airport ahead of his 4-day UK visit.  (Read 2360 times)

Offline John

US President Donald Trump has said he is "fine" about the protests expected to be held during his UK visit, saying Britons "like me a lot".

Speaking earlier at the Nato summit, Mr Trump, who arrived in the UK shortly before 14:00 BST, referred to Britain as a "pretty hot spot right now".

He will meet Theresa May later, who wants a post-Brexit trade deal - days after he said the UK was in "turmoil".

Extra security has been put in place to police a number of planned protests.

Mr Trump, who will also spend time with the Queen during his two-day working visit, said: "I think they like me a lot in the UK; I think they agree with me on immigration...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44802315
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 03:58:22 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Angelo222

US President Donald Trump has said he is "fine" about the protests expected to be held during his UK visit, saying Britons "like me a lot".

Speaking earlier at the Nato summit, Mr Trump, who arrived in the UK shortly before 14:00 BST, referred to Britain as a "pretty hot spot right now".

He will meet Theresa May later, who wants a post-Brexit trade deal - days after he said the UK was in "turmoil".

Extra security has been put in place to police a number of planned protests.

Mr Trump, who will also spend time with the Queen during his two-day working visit, said: "I think they like me a lot in the UK; I think they agree with me on immigration...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44802315

He's absolutely correct, most British people do agree with him on immigration as evidenced by the Brexit vote.  Let the workers come by all means but at the end of their contract it's bye bye from us, time to go home.

The days of giving overstayers and illegal immigrants a free residency pass are gone.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Baz

He's absolutely correct, most British people do agree with him on immigration as evidenced by the Brexit vote.  Let the workers come by all means but at the end of their contract it's bye bye from us, time to go home.

The days of giving overstayers and illegal immigrants a free residency pass are gone.

About 33.5 million people cast their vote in the Brexit referendum. 51.9% of those voted for Brexit. So, roughly, 17.5 million voted to Leave the EU. Now, the electorate is about 46.5 million and so only about 38% of the available electorate voted for Brexit. Any way you look at it I think it’s impossible to claim the majority of British people expressed anti-immigration beliefs akin to Trump’s when voting in the referendum, especially when you also include the many different reasons people had for voting to leave the EU. The democratic right to write our own laws was the reason I heard most at the time but then that might be because people are afraid of being seen as racist if they take an anti-immigration position.

Also, I did a lot of reading about immigration around the time of Brexit, and from what I read it seemed obvious that immigration is one of the things that has historically made this country great. And immigrants contribute more to the economy than they take out.

Also, Trump seems like a terrible human being to me but I do think he should be allowed a state visit AND that people should be allowed to express their dislike of him and what he represents through protest.

Thought I’d at least offer up the alternative view point. So there it is.

Offline Angelo222

About 33.5 million people cast their vote in the Brexit referendum. 51.9% of those voted for Brexit. So, roughly, 17.5 million voted to Leave the EU. Now, the electorate is about 46.5 million and so only about 38% of the available electorate voted for Brexit. Any way you look at it I think it’s impossible to claim the majority of British people expressed anti-immigration beliefs akin to Trump’s when voting in the referendum, especially when you also include the many different reasons people had for voting to leave the EU. The democratic right to write our own laws was the reason I heard most at the time but then that might be because people are afraid of being seen as racist if they take an anti-immigration position.

Also, I did a lot of reading about immigration around the time of Brexit, and from what I read it seemed obvious that immigration is one of the things that has historically made this country great. And immigrants contribute more to the economy than they take out.

Also, Trump seems like a terrible human being to me but I do think he should be allowed a state visit AND that people should be allowed to express their dislike of him and what he represents through protest.

Thought I’d at least offer up the alternative view point. So there it is.

The world is in a terrible mess thanks to weak presidents and prime ministers in the US and the UK. Trump is a breath of fresh air and brings a new understanding to the problems facing the world.  Illegal immigrants do not have the right to invade our country, they must be dealt with accordingly.  If they bring their children with them then they must accept responsibility for what happens to them.  It is they who are to blame for children being held in custody, not Donald Trump.

For too long the UK has pursued a no repatriation policy towards illegal immigrants and that must cease. Many of these undesirables are criminals who are fleeing their own jurisdiction for obvious reasons.  They must be sent back to where they came from.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 05:22:58 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Baz

The world is in a terrible mess thanks to weak presidents and prime ministers in the US and the UK. Trump is a breath of fresh air and brings a new understanding to the problems facing the world.  Illegal immigrants do not have the right to invade our country, they must be dealt with accordingly.  If they bring their children with them then they must accept responsibility for what happens to them.  It is they who are to blame for children being held in custody, not Donald Trump.

You give your opinions as facts with no effort to back them up. It's very Trumpian.
It may be them to blame. Maybe it's Trump and them to blame. But ultimately it's the children suffering and they are blameless. Maybe compassion and generosity would be a more appropriate response than fear and cages.

For too long the UK has pursued a no repatriation policy towards illegal immigrants and that must cease. Many of these undesirables are criminals who are fleeing their own jurisdiction for obvious reasons.  They must be sent back to where they came from.

Your sentence structure and choice of words makes it sound as if you believe all illegal immigrants are "undesirables" which is a bit xenophobic so I'll assume that's not what you meant. You also say "many" but that would indicate a large portion of them and as they are undocumented I'm not sure how you have reached this conclusion. I could just as easily say many of them are blood donors. Also, it's well established that our economy (and USA's) requires undocumented workers to do jobs below minimum wage so that a high profit can still be made. Hardly undesirable.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

Re: Donald Trump arrives at Stansted Airport ahead of his 4-day UK visit.
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 09:13:54 PM »
You give your opinions as facts with no effort to back them up. It's very Trumpian.
It may be them to blame. Maybe it's Trump and them to blame. But ultimately it's the children suffering and they are blameless. Maybe compassion and generosity would be a more appropriate response than fear and cages.

Your sentence structure and choice of words makes it sound as if you believe all illegal immigrants are "undesirables" which is a bit xenophobic so I'll assume that's not what you meant. You also say "many" but that would indicate a large portion of them and as they are undocumented I'm not sure how you have reached this conclusion. I could just as easily say many of them are blood donors. Also, it's well established that our economy (and USA's) requires undocumented workers to do jobs below minimum wage so that a high profit can still be made. Hardly undesirable.

Being illegal immigrants are they desirable? if so, why not come into the country legally?

There is a real issue regaring the illegal immigrants flooding towns and villages. Why do you suppose these towns people and villagers should not have a voice without being cried down as racists? or being xenophobic?

Once the 'illegal imigrants' are caught they then claim asylum- this enables free housing-medical care- food- transport. In a country which has poor pension payments, disability payments lost or cut and food banks for indigenous people working many hours just to pay bills and basic living costs.

Is there something you wish to share with us about illegal immigration being great for our counrty?

Re the Brexit stats. The majority of those who voted won!  if you want to cry on shoulders why not look at the 'majority' Tony Bliar got for his elections!  He never got a majority of the population just the majority of those who voted!  and that was suspect.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin