Author Topic: Bamber made a fatal mistake, court told  (Read 8014 times)

Offline Admin

Bamber made a fatal mistake, court told
« on: March 05, 2012, 01:03:07 PM »
Published 22 October 1986

Offline Tim Invictus

Re: Bamber made a fatal mistake, court told
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 10:58:12 AM »
Thank's for that admin. It sounds like an excellent final submission to the jury by Arlidge. A compelling indictment of Bamber!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:59:44 AM by Tim Invictus »

Offline Claudia

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 04:04:40 PM »
I can see where the guilty by default scenario comes from now.  I agree with the judge it was one of them although Bamber could have gotten help in some form or other.  Excellent thread the misnomer thread though.  I had to look that word up though..... 8()-000(

Offline John

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 08:57:07 PM »
We will never know what made him make up the story about the telephone call unless of course it was to divert attention away from himself and onto Sheila.  If he had not made up the story about having received a call from his father then the police would not have been alerted and it would have been left to the housekeeper or the secretary to discover the scene in the morning.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

amazon

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 09:10:11 PM »
We will never know what made him make up the story about the telephone call unless of course it was to divert attention away from himself and onto Sheila.  If he had not made up the story about having received a call from his father then the police would not have been alerted and it would have been left to the housekeeper or the secretary to discover the scene in the morning.

and the police would have treated the scene and the investigation totally differently.

Offline Tim Invictus

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 09:49:38 PM »
Matt had a good point before. Perhaps Bamber hadn't planned the telephone part of the plan but because he had to shoot Sheila twice he made up the Nevill call then called the police so he could be outside with them acting his arse off and reminding them what a nutter Sheila was and how she was experienced with guns.

amazon

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 10:02:46 PM »
Was he that clever? It's all very well him meticulously planning it all ahead of time, but on the hoof? I am inclined to think that he planned the call all along to deflect attention, and when he had to shoot Sheila twice he was simply so arrogant he thought he would still get away with it

Offline Tim Invictus

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 10:54:58 PM »
Was he that clever? It's all very well him meticulously planning it all ahead of time, but on the hoof? I am inclined to think that he planned the call all along to deflect attention, and when he had to shoot Sheila twice he was simply so arrogant he thought he would still get away with it
Maybe Amazoni ... I think Bamber was quite prepared to be a suspect but thought they could never prove he did it. If he had acted even slightly less arrogant after the murders and at trial by all accounts he might have pulled it of.

Weety

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 08:29:24 AM »
On the old board you joked Tim, that after it all went a bit pear shaped he called Julie Mugford and it was she who told him to call the police. Is that beyond belief?

Offline Tim Invictus

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 08:41:36 AM »
On the old board you joked Tim, that after it all went a bit pear shaped he called Julie Mugford and it was she who told him to call the police. Is that beyond belief?

It's certainly not a ridiculous suggestion is it Weety? Bamber must have been paniced by having to shoot Sheila twice when she was his suicide plant. Shooting yourself twice to the neck with a rifle is obviously very suspicious as a suicide method.

Offline Admin

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 08:47:02 AM »
Does anyone think that Julie knew more than she has ever let on?   If that is true Bamber could have dropped her right in it but to do that he would have to have confessed as well.

Weety

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 10:05:29 AM »
I've always thought there was more to the phone call than was revealed. If we run with the 'Julie told him to call police' idea for a moment it could be either:

She knew what he was up to that night, and when he called and told her things hadn't gone to plan she thought calling the police and planting the 'mad Sheila' idea would help to cover it up or:

She had never believed what he was saying and was shocked to find out that he had gone through with it and told him to call police... and what? If she was shocked would she have told him to make up the Sheila story, or would she have threatened to call them if he didn't, or something else?

Offline John

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 10:14:18 AM »
I've always thought there was more to the phone call than was revealed. If we run with the 'Julie told him to call police' idea for a moment it could be either:

She knew what he was up to that night, and when he called and told her things hadn't gone to plan she thought calling the police and planting the 'mad Sheila' idea would help to cover it up or:

She had never believed what he was saying and was shocked to find out that he had gone through with it and told him to call police... and what? If she was shocked would she have told him to make up the Sheila story, or would she have threatened to call them if he didn't, or something else?

The other point Weety is that she told him to, "...go back to bed".  I honestly think she thought he was ranting again.  I bet she got the shock of her life when the police called for her??
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Matthew Wyse

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 10:19:25 AM »

The other point Weety is that she told him to, "...go back to bed".  I honestly think she thought he was ranting again.  I bet she got the shock of her life when the police called for her??

from my own perspective guys.........julie knew she was up against it.........the cheque frauds and the caravan park break in.   Her only way out of this was to tell the truth and nothing but the truth.  That is why I have no difficulty believing her.  She knew the only way to avoid a prison sentence was to SPILL DE BEANS<
Most people suspect the truth but few are able to admit it.

Weety

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 10:21:35 AM »

Well that's just it. If my boyfriend had called me at 3am going on about something being wrong at the farm (where he didn't live) I think I would have asked a few more questions before telling him to go back to bed. But this is all just speculation, do we have a copy of her statements re the phone call?