Author Topic: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann  (Read 1364755 times)

Offline Wonderfulspam

Re: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann
« Reply #1110 on: January 10, 2014, 03:29:51 PM »
They may be close thank we think, but things have to be done according to certain procedures.
The Met cannot operate in other countries, so must formally request assistance.

The thing is, when Maddie dissapeared the LP were on the ground in Portugal pronto, ok they had no powers of arrest but they must have been doing something...

So why now are there not Met officers assisting like they had in 2007?
They wouldn't have to be making arrests but could be assisting the investigation as they apparently did before.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline jassi

« Reply #1111 on: January 10, 2014, 03:39:55 PM »
The thing is, when Maddie dissapeared the LP were on the ground in Portugal pronto, ok they had no powers of arrest but they must have been doing something...

So why now are there not Met officers assisting like they had in 2007?
They wouldn't have to be making arrests but could be assisting the investigation as they apparently did before.

The LP were only Family liaison officers and were probably not closely involved in any investigation. other than perhaps making a few suggestions.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #1112 on: January 10, 2014, 03:49:51 PM »
The LP were only Family liaison officers and were probably not closely involved in any investigation. other than perhaps making a few suggestions.

So could they not be on the ground now communicating with the police back home & making a few suggestions?

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1113 on: January 10, 2014, 03:53:06 PM »
They may be close thank we think, but things have to be done according to certain procedures.
The Met cannot operate in other countries, so must formally request assistance.
[/quote.

Correct.  Any arrest on  evidence  incorrectly acquired can be deemed invalid in a Court of Law.  And almost certainly will be.

This new letter leads me to suspect that it concerns a British Citizen no longer residing in Portugal.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 03:54:59 PM by Eleanor »

Offline jassi

« Reply #1114 on: January 10, 2014, 03:53:54 PM »
I think there is probably a difference between making a few suggestions and directing the line of enquiry.

When the rogatory statements were made in UK, Portuguese police were present, but could not interfere or react with the process
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Victoria

« Reply #1115 on: January 10, 2014, 03:54:58 PM »
So could they not be on the ground now communicating with the police back home & making a few suggestions?

I'm not sure what good a family liaison officer would do at this stage!

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #1116 on: January 10, 2014, 04:04:10 PM »
I'm not sure what good a family liaison officer would do at this stage!

Ok not Family Liason officers  @)(++(*  but Detectives, why not?

They wouldn't have to direct enquiries but could still help to some degree couldn't they.

How is it possible in this day and age that 2 European countries are still faffing around with separate lines of enquiry and rogatory letters. It just sounds like a whole load of bureaucracy getting in the way finding a child whom the MET have said may still be alive.

Offline jassi

« Reply #1117 on: January 10, 2014, 04:10:50 PM »

They wouldn't have to direct enquiries but could still help to some degree couldn't they.

How is it possible in this day and age that 2 European countries are still faffing around with separate lines of enquiry and rogatory letters. It just sounds like a whole load of bureaucracy getting in the way finding a child whom the MET have said may still be alive.

Its just the way it is done.
I don't suppose the Home Office would be too happy for foreign police to operate freely on UK territory

Or maybe not -

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #1118 on: January 10, 2014, 04:14:58 PM »
Its just the way it is done.
I don't suppose the Home Office would be too happy for foreign police to operate freely on UK territory

Imagine the scenario, Maddie is infact alive being kept in a secret Algarve bunker, her rescue is potentially being delayed by international red tape and doing everything by the book.

Offline jassi

« Reply #1119 on: January 10, 2014, 04:21:08 PM »
I believe Mrs May wants to opt out of many of the arrangements, including the European Arrest Warrant, which could make cooperation between countries even more difficult.

Or maybe not -

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1120 on: January 10, 2014, 04:25:08 PM »

It is The Law.  Simple as that.  It is in place to protect anyone.  Even you.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #1121 on: January 10, 2014, 04:28:22 PM »
It is The Law.  Simple as that.  It is in place to protect anyone.  Even you.

So the law that is there to protect Madeleine could infact be harming her by delaying her rescue from the clutches of her burgling, paedophile captors. Tragic isn't it.

Estuarine

« Reply #1122 on: January 10, 2014, 04:49:19 PM »
If they're not suspects by now, old chum, they're never going to be.

Try telling that to Peter Hogg, killer of Margaret Hogg.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1123 on: January 10, 2014, 05:27:38 PM »
So the law that is there to protect Madeleine could infact be harming her by delaying her rescue from the clutches of her burgling, paedophile captors. Tragic isn't it.
[/quote.

Possibly.  But there would be no point in accusing the wrong person.  Or even the right person if it cannot be proved.  The Perpetrator is hardly going to fall over and admit it, is he.  Especially after all of the shite on The Internet.

I would like to say that Amaral caused this, but I don't actually think that this is true.  Amaral was in a bad place himself, and just not competent.

The tragedy might well be his also.

Offline jassi

« Reply #1124 on: January 10, 2014, 05:32:23 PM »
[/quote.

Possibly.  But there would be no point in accusing the wrong person.  Or even the right person if it cannot be proved.  The Perpetrator is hardly going to fall over and admit it, is he.  Especially after all of the shite on The Internet.

I would like to say that Amaral caused this, but I don't actually think that this is true.  Amaral was in a bad place himself, and just not competent.

The tragedy might well be his also.

I consider he was removed at a bad time for dubious reasons and the man who replaced him seemed to do little better. The  Portuguese judiciary system was completely outclassed and undermined  by the McCann PR machine and the UK media

Or maybe not -