Author Topic: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann  (Read 1364718 times)

Offline Eleanor

Re: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann
« Reply #1545 on: January 30, 2014, 02:05:55 PM »
The desperation is palpable.  Don't look at three convicted burglars.  Look at a perfectly decent man against whom there is no proof at all.

Portugal has just cooked it's own goose, courtesy of it's gutter press.  Well done.  Amaral is a dead duck.

Lyall

« Reply #1546 on: January 30, 2014, 02:17:11 PM »
The desperation is palpable.  Don't look at three convicted burglars.  Look at a perfectly decent man against whom there is no proof at all.

Portugal has just cooked it's own goose, courtesy of it's gutter press.  Well done.  Amaral is a dead duck.

Amaral Goldstein 8)-)))

Estuarine

« Reply #1547 on: January 30, 2014, 02:27:08 PM »
What has Amaral got to do with the article being discussed  ?

I raised the same question icabod and didn't have a response. I think the answer is sweet Felicity Arkwright. Dr Amaral round here seems to be like Oliver Cromwell in The Republic of Ireland; like if it's duff he was responsible.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #1548 on: January 30, 2014, 02:34:09 PM »
Yes,

I was just pointing out that just because not a single victim has ever been found doesn't prove undoubtedly that there have been none.

Maybe they don't want to come forward,

look at the current cases like William Roache, Dave Lee Travis & Rolf Harris, none of their alleged 'victims' bothered to come forward for 20 odd years or until they could make a decent amount of cash out of their lies.

We don't know this at the moment, WS...

AnneGuedes

« Reply #1549 on: January 30, 2014, 02:40:53 PM »
I raised the same question icabod and didn't have a response. I think the answer is sweet Felicity Arkwright. Dr Amaral round here seems to be like Oliver Cromwell in The Republic of Ireland; like if it's duff he was responsible.
There's a deficit of sense of humour on this forum like in fairy tales where the part of the big bad wolf is a must. In this tale it should be the abductor, but it isn't, likely because in fact there's none... The hero tried to save the princess but didn't succeed. Instead of becoming an anti-hero, he became the figure of evil.

Redblossom

« Reply #1550 on: January 30, 2014, 02:51:04 PM »
I'm glad you cleared that up, Anne.

I was just going to ask you about what you thought the article was getting at. It is hard to tell from the English translation, which is fantastical in places.

Ironic or otherwise, it does begin (in the English version at least) with the words ' Police have a suspect'. This is not ironic, it is factually incorrect.

So is it really such an innocent piece of work?

What, do you mean like uk headlnes such as "Maddie found in Ireland"? Although granted the two are chalk and cheese, one is patently ridiculous, the other a more serious one

I dont know the reasons this article, or rather the end comment was printed,but how is it libel to repeat what a witness said in their statement?

It is true, whether the witness was mistaken or not in their thoughts is a different issue,and it nothing to do with forum myths or internet posters' opinions

Ps JP why should the whole thread be deleted? Im sure you meant culled though......

Redblossom

« Reply #1551 on: January 30, 2014, 02:53:24 PM »
There's a deficit of sense of humour on this forum like in fairy tales where the part of the big bad wolf is a must. In this tale it should be the abductor, but it isn't, likely because in fact there's none... The hero tried to save the princess but didn't succeed. Instead of becoming an anti-hero, he became the figure of evil.

For some and how patently ridiculous it all is

8((()*/

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #1552 on: January 30, 2014, 02:57:16 PM »
Maddie: Three former Ocean Club employees ‘suspects’

British police to quiz the trio

GERARD COUZENS – 30 JANUARY 2014

BRITISH police suspect three former Ocean Club employees over Madeleine McCann's disappearance, Portugal's biggest-selling newspaper claimed today.

Leading daily Correio da Manha said Met officers met Portuguese detectives in Faro this week to ask them to quiz the unnamed trio, search their homes and probe their bank accounts.

The three suspects detectives in London have their eye on are thought to have been linked to a string of burglaries at the Algarve holiday complex before Madeleine went missing.

Portuguese police chiefs confirmed a three-hour meeting between Policia Judiciaria bosses and  a Met team led by Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood had taken place on Tuesday - but refused to say what had been discussed.

Correio da Manha reported today: "The British police want the Portuguese authorities to interrogate and search the homes of three former Ocean Club employees.

"They also requested access to the bank accounts of the three suspects to see if there were any large deposits made after the child disappeared."

The newspaper said the requests were contained in a second 'International Letter of Request' from British authorities which Portugal's Attorney General confirmed it had received last week and said it would be sending to a court in the Algarve resort of Portimao tasked with the reopened investigation into Madeleine's disappearance.

The Mark Warner-run Ocean Club had around 130 Portuguese employees and some 30 British employees when Madeleine went missing on May 3 2007.

All the British employees are understood to have left.

Last October it emerged Portuguese police had questioned the family of a former Ocean Club worker with a theft conviction.

Former colleagues say Euclides Monteiro, 40, was asked to leave his job at the holiday club where the McCanns stayed after taking tips meant to be shared with other waiters.

Portuguese police are said to discovered from mobile phone tracking that he was near the Ocean Club when Madeleine disappeared, even though he was no longer working there at the time and was living in Lagos a 15 minute drive away.

Monteiro, an immigrant from Cape Verde, died in a  tractor accident in 2009.

The three new suspects the Met Police are targeting are said to have had made a number of phone calls to each other around the time Madeleine disappeared.

There were reports of several break-ins at the Ocean Club in the weeks running up to her disappearance.

One theory is that burglars raided the McCanns' apartment and were panicked into snatching the youngster, then three, when she woke up.

The Policia Judiciaria and Portugal's Attorney General have both refused to comment on the content of Tuesday's meeting at the PJ's Faro HQ.

A spokesman for the PJ, the force investigating Madeleine McCann's disappearance in Portugal, said in a statement: "The PJ confirms a meeting has taken place in Faro between British and Portuguese authorities within the framework of the execution of an International Letter of Request.

"However the PJ will not be commenting on the content of this meeting."

Almeida Rodrigues, the PJ's National Director, added: "We cannot say anything else because when we cooperate with our British colleagues within the framework of an 'International Letter of Request', we are bound by professional secrecy."

The McCanns' lawyer in Portugal, Rogerio Alves, said he was aware Scotland Yard wanted to question three suspects but played down reports arrests were imminent, describing the idea as "improbable."

The Met Police team flew back to the UK yesterday afternoon/on Wednesday afternoon declining to comment.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/maddie-three-former-ocean-club-employees-suspects-29964890.html

Offline Carana

« Reply #1553 on: January 30, 2014, 03:05:53 PM »
I don't understand this bit in bold: Does this mean if they were questioned by PJ back in 2007 then  they cannot be questioned again???

As I understand it, it doesn't necessarily mean that people weren't interviewed at all at the time (although some apparently weren't), as information had presumably been shared about what had been done and not. A further analysis of data and a comparison with statements at the time could reveal new lines of enquiry requiring further questioning.

Some of the interviews really didn't go very far:
"Did you notice anything relevant to the child's disappearance?"
"No."
"Where were you that evening?"
"At home."
"Ok."

Estuarine

« Reply #1554 on: January 30, 2014, 03:19:57 PM »

I think I understand what you mean  8(>((.
Vanishes in puff of green smoke ....  poof

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1555 on: January 30, 2014, 03:25:13 PM »
Portugal needs to get it's act together.  Thick or what?  Or are they trying to bury Amaral?  Who needs friends?

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #1556 on: January 30, 2014, 03:26:53 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2548690/British-McCann-detectives-ask-warrants-search-homes-three-Portuguese-burglary-suspects-inspect-bank-details.html

Daily Mail is first British paper reporting on the 'burglars' being ex Ocean Club workers and the SY requesting searches of their houses and bank accounts for the time Madeleine went missing..

They are quoting today's Correio da Manha..

Strangely, there is only one comment to this article  @)(++(*

Offline jassi

« Reply #1557 on: January 30, 2014, 03:28:29 PM »
It's you who has inflamed discussion of the article on this forum to be fair. It would have been forgotten by now without your complaints.

Indeed. the level of faux indignation is positivley frightening.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline carlymichelle

« Reply #1558 on: January 30, 2014, 03:29:11 PM »
Indeed. the level of faux indignation is positivley frightening.

she is known  for being like that though 

Offline John

« Reply #1559 on: January 30, 2014, 04:08:16 PM »
The article in the Correio da Manhã today is indeed libellous towards one of the tapas-9 and in very bad taste.  As such all references to the subject of this allegation have been removed.

The Gasper statements have been discussed at length elsewhere on the forum.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.