Author Topic: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann  (Read 1364819 times)

Offline Sherlock Holmes

Re: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann
« Reply #2130 on: February 10, 2014, 01:21:25 AM »
To not to hide from each other their findings. It is not the football game or a competition whose dad is stronger.. @)(++(*

IMO the announcement on the end 'the joint teams of UK and PT polices have discovered... xyz' would sound much better in the eyes of the world..

And also it would give a good message to the criminals!

Police teams competing who's gonna solve it faster or better is a great playground for criminals.. and in these cases only the criminals win.

Another thought, VIXTE (Probably not a new one)..

If, for the sake of argument, Scotland Yard do come up with a lot of new information and make a lot of progress, that is going to make the original investigation look inadequate. SY coming up with a breakthrough seven or eight years later, when the PJ could not solve the crime at the time, would be embarrassing.

There is an innate tension in this co-operation situation, however healthy it may be in parts.

Another reason no  to use the press to interfere, Lyall -no?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 01:24:30 AM by Sherlock Holmes »

Lyall

« Reply #2131 on: February 10, 2014, 01:31:01 AM »

If, for the sake of argument, Scotland Yard do come up with a lot of new information and make a lot of progress, that is going to make the original investigation look inadequate. SY coming up with a breakthrough seven or eight years later, when the PJ could not solve the crime at the time, would be embarrassing.

There is an innate tension in this co-operation situation, however healthy it may be in parts.

Could be, SH. But the Portuguese have to comply with the letters of request, just as the British had to in 2008.

But I doubt the Met have made much progress personally, if any.

Sorry to be cynical 8)-))) You know I think the truth of the case lies in a different direction.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #2132 on: February 10, 2014, 01:36:25 AM »
Could be, SH. But the Portuguese have to comply with the letters of request, just as the British had to in 2008.

Sorry to be cynical 8)-))) You know I think the truth of the case lies in a different direction.

?{)(**

Lyall

« Reply #2133 on: February 10, 2014, 01:42:59 AM »
8**8:/: But none of us knows for certain. We could still be here speculating in another seven years.

Unless James Murray solves the case for us 8((()*/

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #2134 on: February 10, 2014, 01:43:22 AM »

This is why I in this game support this Helena lady  @)(++(*
Let's see a woman among all these macho men.. finding Madeleine first.  @)(++(*

Just joking .. and this matter is serious.. I think it is really god for Madeleine that now everyone is looking for the solution and they are like the gold diggers at the moment.

I imagine this action is giving the people responsible for Madeleine's disappearance a real nightmare!

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #2135 on: February 10, 2014, 01:45:05 AM »
You know I think the truth of the case lies in a different direction.

I was just thinking the same. I thought the truth might be right in front of their eyes and they are not seeing it..

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #2136 on: February 10, 2014, 02:03:53 AM »

Just joking .. and this matter is serious.. I think it is really god for Madeleine that now everyone is looking for the solution and they are like the gold diggers at the moment.

I imagine this action is giving the people responsible for Madeleine's disappearance a real nightmare!

8**8:/:

Lyall

« Reply #2137 on: February 10, 2014, 02:08:43 AM »

I was just thinking the same. I thought the truth might be right in front of their eyes and they are not seeing it..

Could be, Vixte. There could be something everyone has missed. Truth is often stranger than fiction.

Someone might approach the case in a new way one day and surprise us.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #2138 on: February 10, 2014, 02:11:19 AM »
Could be, Vixte. There could be something everyone has missed. Truth is often stranger than fiction.

Someone might approach the case in a new way one day and surprise us.

I often wonder this too, Lyall. Someone could come up with something completely unrelated to anything we know already.

That's why I believe we can't be too dogmatic. We could all easily be barking up the wrong tree.

Lyall

« Reply #2139 on: February 10, 2014, 02:30:51 AM »
You're right. Moderation in all things, especially dogmatism 8(>((

(and not only for legal reasons!)

Offline jassi

« Reply #2140 on: February 10, 2014, 08:24:02 AM »

I imagine we would all echo that sentiment.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Benice

« Reply #2141 on: February 10, 2014, 08:30:42 AM »
From beginning walks for press were PR managed.

Well of course they were.  Otherwise the McCanns would never have been able to leave their apartment with scores of reporters - starved for information from the PJ - permanently lying in wait for them.   It's obvious that some kind of mutual arrangement/agreement would be necessary - especially at the beginning.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline Montclair

« Reply #2142 on: February 10, 2014, 09:16:28 AM »

It is up to the judge to decide whether to comply or not with the letters of request and if the requests are not in accordance with Portuguese law, they can be refused. Compliance is not automatic. IIRC, the Portuguese made requests to the UK authorities asking for information on the parents, in the early days of the investigation, and never received any replies.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 08:21:34 PM by Montclair »

Offline Benice

« Reply #2143 on: February 10, 2014, 09:33:08 AM »

Another reason not  to use the press to interfere, Lyall -no?

I agree SH - IMO the McCanns will be increasingly concerned that their plea to the press for responsible reporting seems to have been virtually ignored -  despite all the work SY have put in to build bridges and to have a good relationship with the Portuguese police.

It's a very fragile situation IMO  - and the press could ruin all that.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

stephen25000

« Reply #2144 on: February 10, 2014, 09:40:45 AM »
Cooperation is a two way street and it seems when the Portuguese authorities requested it at the start from Leicestershire Police, they didn't get it.

Beware what you sow.