Author Topic: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann  (Read 1364632 times)

Offline pegasus

Re: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann
« Reply #3375 on: June 30, 2014, 11:53:23 PM »
Video news report (in portuguese) from SIC Noticias containing 2007 archive footage
http://noticias.sapo.pt/videos/sic-noticias_5759/53b1be3a4e40537667000029/

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3376 on: July 01, 2014, 01:58:44 PM »
Search dogs are back in Portugal to continue the programme of ground searches.
http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/search-dogs-back-in-portugal-for-new-madeleine-search-30398070.html
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

stephen25000

« Reply #3377 on: July 01, 2014, 05:30:27 PM »
No, very different

When The Mccanns were made Arguidos, there was no need for evidence against them. 

The Law was changed soon after and it was thought by many that Amaral had NO evidence and in his eagerness to charge them he rushed the Argiodo status in order thta he had them in his clutches.

No evidence , Stephen .... just Amarals ideas, which had no grounding.

It wan't just Amaral sadie . >@@(*&)

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #3378 on: July 02, 2014, 12:28:51 AM »
Officially the PJ have made it plain they are ploughing their own furrow, which might be fine if eventually they converge with the Met.  There are possible advantages to seperate investigations particularly if the information is being pooled and as long as the Met have the permissions to do what they want to do I think things will be fine.

It is my opinion there is a faction in Portugal who are anxious to cause friction between the Met and the PJ.  Quite simply, they want to throw a spanner in the works. Insidious leaking to the press is a favoured method.

I don't think it is working out for them as far as disruption goes.  The PJ and the Met want this case brought to a satisfactory conclusion. Certainly the PJ don't want to end up with any more egg on their face as in 2007.
I think the present PJ and Met teams have a good working relationship going.
So I think it is wait and see time.

And of course the Met don't want another fiasco like the Tia Sharpe case.

In the end whether the supporters like it or not the PJ have primacy in this case and SY can ask a thousand suspects a million questions and.dig up half of the Algarve  but if the evidence the PJ have suggests another theory ie a foreigner who has left the country then that is the theory that will be followed.

The bald truth is that tens of millions of pounds could be spent by the tax payer on SY's investigation but they have no power to take the evidence they have forward and without Portuguese agreement all that money will have been squandered for no outcome at all.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 10:35:34 AM by Mr Moderator »
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Mr Moderator

« Reply #3379 on: July 02, 2014, 10:34:28 AM »
The English ask for the arguidos’ DNA - The Four Arguidos Revealed

- Illegal means were suggested
- Suspects have started to be questioned

Jornal de Notícias (paper & epaper editions)
by Marisa Rodrigues

The British police went as far as asking the Polícia Judiciária (PJ) to collect fingerprints and the DNA profile of the four suspects that have now been made arguidos. Furtively, if necessary.

The request is included in a rogatory letter from July last year, but it was challenged by the PJ, because it is illegal. Upon request from Scotland Yard and with approval from the Public Ministry, the suspects were formally made arguidos, yesterday, by inspectors from the PJ’s Southern Directory, in Faro.

At least two of the arguidos were not accompanied by lawyers, that have been nominated in the meantime so the questioning could take place. A list containing over 250 questions awaited them. The majority accepted to answer. The questions were made by the Polícia Judiciária’s inspectors, in the presence of British detectives that could not intervene.

JN knows that the questioning was concluded at the start of the evening and the arguidos are not due to return to the Directory. The last one leaving, at around 20h30, was Sergey Malinka, a Russian citizen with Portuguese nationality, who had already been investigated in 2007, in the Portuguese case. His computers were seized and home searches were made, but nothing relevant was found. He was a friend of Robert Murat, a former arguido in the Portuguese process.

The other suspects are José da Silva, a former Ocean Club driver, Paulo Jorge Ribeiro, unemployed, who suffers from schizophrenia, and Ricardo Jorge, who was then 16 years old. They live in Praia da Luz, some of them near the terrain where the searches took place one month ago. Scotland Yard believes that they planned to burgle the apartment where the McCanns were spending a holiday. But Madeleine woke up and was killed, so she wouldn’t be able to identify them, and the body was carried by one of them, down the streets that were filled with tourists. A theory that makes absolutely no sense for the PJ.

From today, 11 witnesses start being questioned, also at Scotland Yard’s request.

Sniffer dogs for searches in cars

The English authorities are accompanied by sniffer dogs from the United Kingdom, in case after the interrogations and the making of arguidos, it turns out to be necessary to perform searches, for example in cars. The dogs are the same that recently participated in searches on grounds in the Algarve. Earlier in the investigation, in 2007, two dogs (Eddie and Keela) helped collect indicia.

Arguidos: Facts that the English consider to be compromising

Sergei Malinka, businessman, aged 30
Back in 2007, he was a suspect and a target of searches by the PJ. Now, he is again because he discarded a sofa that was analysed by forensic experts and contained hairs that were similar to others found in the McCanns’ apartment. There is also a conversation that was reported in second hand and supposedly heard near Malinka’s home, about a body that had to be disposed of. The English valued the fact that, at the time, the Russian’s car was torched and someone wrote the word “fala” [“talk”] on the sidewalk.

José Silva, former driver, aged 38
He worked at the Ocean Club and the English point him out as the person who chose the apartments that were to be broken into in the resort and was in charge of checking the tourists’ movements. Scotland Yard says that he is compromised by phone calls that he made to other arguidos on the night of the disappearance and his similarity with the e-fit that was based on the description from an Irish family that was on holiday in Praia da Luz. He is allegedly the famous man who was seen carrying a child.

Paulo Ribeiro, aged 50
He became a suspect for the English policemen because foreign tourists described his odd behaviour and his presence near the McCanns’ apartment before the disappearance. A sufferer of mental illness, he was also denounced through his similarity with another e-fit based on the deposition of witnesses who identified him as a beggar and because he knew one of the other arguidos with whom he spoke on the phone on the day of the crime.

Ricardo Rodrigues, aged 23
He was 16 at the time of the disappearance and the Englishpeople connect him to the case because of phone calls that he made before the fateful moment and on that same day, including one call to Paulo Ribeiro. Another of the allegedly incriminating arguments is the fact that he fits the description that was made by witnesses of one of the two beggars and a suspect of burglaries in the area of Praia da Luz. Against him there is also the fact that he lives close to some of the other men that were now made arguidos upon request from the English policemen.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 11:34:23 AM by John »

Offline Admin

« Reply #3380 on: July 02, 2014, 02:50:31 PM »
Madeleine - Police question four suspects
The Portugal News · 02-07-2014

Portuguese police in Faro are set to continue questioning suspects and witnesses today in connection with the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

Yesterday, four Portuguese nationals were declared arguidos or suspects upon entering the PJ police headquarters in Faro. It is believed some of them might return for further questioning today.

The current phase of the investigation comes after Scotland Yard called on their Portuguese counterparts to question a number of people of interest in their bid to explain the disappearance of Madeleine McCann more than seven years ago.

www.theportugalnews.com/news/madeleine-police-question-four-suspects/31986

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #3381 on: July 02, 2014, 03:28:22 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28123433

So 'no further forward than seven years ago '.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline jassi

« Reply #3382 on: July 02, 2014, 03:43:20 PM »
If this is reported correctly, then SY must be very disappointed, but at least its 4 more crossed off the list.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #3383 on: July 02, 2014, 03:53:43 PM »
If this is reported correctly, then SY must be very disappointed, but at least its 4 more crossed off the list.
Have they concluded their interviews then?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3384 on: July 02, 2014, 03:56:41 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28123433

So 'no further forward than seven years ago '.

everyone can see how apoplectic you are that SY are looking at others having told the world that the mccanns are not suspects

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #3385 on: July 02, 2014, 03:58:14 PM »
We have a Portuguese source close to the PJ saying that the interviews were concluded yesterday with no new information discovered and we have Martin Brunt telling us the interviews will conclude later today - so who is right?

ETA: it was Neil Connery of ITV, not Martin Brunt.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 04:00:08 PM by Alfred R Jones »

Offline jassi

« Reply #3386 on: July 02, 2014, 03:59:28 PM »
Have they concluded their interviews then?

According to that BBC report it would appear so. The source said 'we are no further forward', which would imply he was from SY
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline jassi

« Reply #3387 on: July 02, 2014, 04:00:19 PM »
We have a Portuguese source close to the PJ saying that the interviews were concluded yesterday with no new information discovered and we have Martin Brunt telling us the interviews will conclude later today - so who is right?

He may or may not have been referring to the other 8.

Or maybe not -

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #3388 on: July 02, 2014, 04:00:42 PM »

According to that BBC report it would appear so. The source said 'we are no further forward', which would imply he was from SY
From a few minutes ago:

Neil Connery @neilconneryitv · 4m

Sources close to #McCann inquiry tell ITV News all interviews with witnesses should be over by end of day.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #3389 on: July 02, 2014, 04:01:33 PM »
He may or may not have been referring to the other 8.
Ah right, yes that's possible.