Author Topic: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann  (Read 1364674 times)

Alfred R Jones

Re: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann
« Reply #3945 on: November 19, 2014, 11:56:40 AM »
I very much doubt this is a story made up by the media.

Offline bros

« Reply #3946 on: November 19, 2014, 12:45:45 PM »
Madeleine McCann: Ex-suspect Murat 'faces new questions'
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30115913

Police investigating the disappearance of British girl Madeleine McCann are to question former suspect Robert Murat, the BBC has learned.
British police are due to travel to Portugal to sit in on the questioning of eleven people of interest.

A source close to the case has told the BBC that two of the eleven are Mr Murat and his wife.

Mr Murat was named as an arguido, or, suspect, in the case in 2007 but was later cleared by Portuguese police.

He won substantial damages from various media organisations and has always denied any involvement in Madeleine McCann's disappearance.

Madeleine, of Rothley, Leicestershire, was three when she went missing from her family's holiday apartment on 3 May 2007...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 12:47:46 PM by bros »

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #3947 on: November 19, 2014, 12:50:21 PM »
Well if the BBC are reporting it it MUST be true!

Offline misty

« Reply #3948 on: November 19, 2014, 12:51:33 PM »

It's in the Guardian, so it must be correct.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/19/madeleine-mccann-police-robert-murat

News
    UK news
    Madeleine McCann

Madeleine McCann police to re-interview Robert Murat
British expatriate in Portugal listed by Scotland Yard as one of four witnesses for questioning says he will cooperate with inquiry

Brendan de Beer and Josh Halliday   
    The Guardian, Wednesday 19 November 2014 12.02 GMT   

Robert Murat Robert Murat outside London's high court after winning libel damages in 2008. Photograph: Max Nash/AP

Detectives investigating the disappearance of Madeleine McCann are set to re-interview Robert Murat, the British expatriate who was first questioned by police when the three-year-old went missing in 2007.

Murat has been identified as one of four witnesses to whom detectives want to speak after Scotland Yard reopened its investigation into the case.

Speaking to the Guardian from his home in Portugal on Tuesday, Murat said neither he nor his lawyer had been contacted by the police but he would cooperate. “My conscience is clear and I have no problem speaking to police again,” he said.

Asked whether he was concerned about facing yet another interrogation, he replied: “I have more important things to worry about, like running my business, paying my taxes and I also need to paint my house.”

Murat, an IT consultant on the Algarve, was the first person to be declared an arguido, or suspect, during the high-profile police search seven years ago. He was never arrested over Madeleine’s disappearance, and he later won several hundreds of thousands of pounds in libel damages from British newspapers.

A source close to the investigation told the Guardian on Wednesday that Murat had been listed as one of four witnesses by the Metropolitan police.

A spokeswoman for Scotland Yard said the force would not give a running commentary on the inquiry.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #3949 on: November 19, 2014, 12:53:44 PM »
So we're back to where Goncalo Amaral was in May 2007. Be interesting what comes next if these are cleared. But the pool man is there who did St James resort. Somebody else was also seen there.

18 May 2007 - to obtain past call history for, and to monitor future calls on two telephones re LA.

"When they left at 20:20 LUIS was not at home."

around 19h30 and went to his next client, Anabela
Valente, Lote 45, near the Private Hospital S. Goncalo de Lagos.

Questioned about the number of telephone calls received daily he responded
that it is usual for him to always be on his mobile phone responding to clients,
suppliers and family members.

Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

ferryman

« Reply #3950 on: November 19, 2014, 12:56:26 PM »

If it is actually true (that is, the story) and the first Murat learnt is from the media, we are right back to where we were when Amaral was co-ordinator ...

Offline misty

« Reply #3951 on: November 19, 2014, 01:07:00 PM »
If it is actually true (that is, the story) and the first Murat learnt is from the media, we are right back to where we were when Amaral was co-ordinator ...

.....except back then, Murat hadn't received a substantial sum in libel damages...considerably more than somebody else......

ferryman

« Reply #3952 on: November 19, 2014, 01:09:24 PM »
.....except back then, Murat hadn't received a substantial sum in libel damages...considerably more than somebody else......

I mean more in terms of leaks that reflect actual police thinking ...

Offline lordpookles

« Reply #3953 on: November 19, 2014, 01:09:52 PM »
Very interesting developments. I seem to remember 3 members of Tapas group saying that they saw Murat on the night in question, but his mum provides an alibi. Sorry to dig back in the past, but is this even true or Chinese whispers?

ferryman

« Reply #3954 on: November 19, 2014, 01:12:35 PM »
Very interesting developments. I seem to remember 3 members of Tapas group saying that they saw Murat on the night in question, but his mum provides an alibi. Sorry to dig back in the past, but is this even true or Chinese whispers?

I fervently hope this is isn't a development.

Or, if it is, then the news has been broken in entirely the wrong way.

Offline lordpookles

« Reply #3955 on: November 19, 2014, 01:14:34 PM »
Why do you hope it isn't a development? Any development is good imo. Personally, I just think this is SY tying up loose ends. Pure guessing obviously..

ferryman

« Reply #3956 on: November 19, 2014, 01:17:39 PM »
Why do you hope it isn't a development? Any development is good imo. Personally, I just think this is SY tying up loose ends. Pure guessing obviously..

My concern is not in progress that leads to the ultimate solving of the crime; rather in the way information is released into the public domain.

Offline misty

« Reply #3957 on: November 19, 2014, 01:18:15 PM »
I fervently hope this is isn't a development.

Or, if it is, then the news has been broken in entirely the wrong way.

As I posted yesterday, there is someone (or more than one) on that list the Portuguese don't want questioned.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #3958 on: November 19, 2014, 01:26:38 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30115913

Mr Murat to be questioned again allegedly; with the usual "we are not giving a running commentary" caveat
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline colombosstogey

« Reply #3959 on: November 19, 2014, 01:29:20 PM »
Ha i won my bet with my husband, i said I bet SY go back to Murat and his wife......what comes around goes around. Not that i think he has anything to do with it, but was surprised he wasnt on the first wave of people they wanted to talk to as witnesses at least. After all he was made an aquido at the time.

No surprises for me anyway. So if they are going this route, then i dont see any resolution for the child, as he was checked extensively in 2008.