Author Topic: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann  (Read 1364797 times)

Offline Robittybob1

Re: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann
« Reply #4275 on: September 18, 2018, 12:27:01 AM »
What kind of person would give this reader’s comment a red arrow?

“A brave thing to do given all the negative press this family get, none of us can imagine your pain but we can share your hope that one day Maddie will be found”..

1400 people saw fit to do so.  Sickos.
Is that a dislike indication?
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline sadie

« Reply #4276 on: September 18, 2018, 12:30:19 AM »
What kind of person would give this reader’s comment a red arrow?

“A brave thing to do given all the negative press this family get, none of us can imagine your pain but we can share your hope that one day Maddie will be found”..

1400 people saw fit to do so.  Sickos.

Depraved.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #4277 on: September 18, 2018, 06:44:25 AM »
This article is all over the place https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6178661/Public-fund-Madeline-McCann-WIPED-upcoming-court-case.html

"Public fund to find Madeline McCann could be WIPED OUT if Kate and Gerry are forced to pay £750,000 to detective who claimed they covered up her death in upcoming court case"

I'm wondering about the order of the court cases.  Will the McCanns only pay if they lose the case to the ECHR? or before?
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4278 on: September 18, 2018, 10:56:36 AM »
This article is all over the place https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6178661/Public-fund-Madeline-McCann-WIPED-upcoming-court-case.html

"Public fund to find Madeline McCann could be WIPED OUT if Kate and Gerry are forced to pay £750,000 to detective who claimed they covered up her death in upcoming court case"

I'm wondering about the order of the court cases.  Will the McCanns only pay if they lose the case to the ECHR? or before?

The article is rubbish. The McCanns will not 'face Amaral in the European Court'. Losing the case won't mean they have to pay anything. As far as we know Amaral has made no move to sue them. He may well have applied for his costs in the libel trial and for compensation for having his assets frozen for years. The Fund may well pay the bill, but is under no legal obligation to do so.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline jassi

« Reply #4279 on: September 18, 2018, 11:13:58 AM »
The article is rubbish. The McCanns will not 'face Amaral in the European Court'. Losing the case won't mean they have to pay anything. As far as we know Amaral has made no move to sue them. He may well have applied for his costs in the libel trial and for compensation for having his assets frozen for years. The Fund may well pay the bill, but is under no legal obligation to do so.

It most certainly a load of misleading rubbish, pitched to display the McCanns in victim mode.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that the case will be heard in a few weeks - has anyone ?

The usual load of unsympathetic comments follow
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Sunny

« Reply #4280 on: September 18, 2018, 03:49:10 PM »

The McCanns have used the fund to sue Goncalo Amaral but is it the fund or the McCanns themselves that are liable for any court costs awarded by the court?

Does anyone know.
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline jassi

« Reply #4281 on: September 18, 2018, 03:56:01 PM »
The McCanns have used the fund to sue Goncalo Amaral but is it the fund or the McCanns themselves that are liable for any court costs awarded by the court?

Does anyone know.

I think technically, it falls on their shoulders, but as they effectively control the Fund, they seem able to spend it how they like.

Had they not had the Fund behind them, I suspect they would not have entered into the fray with Amaral
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Sunny

« Reply #4282 on: September 18, 2018, 04:11:19 PM »
I think technically, it falls on their shoulders, but as they effectively control the Fund, they seem able to spend it how they like.

Had they not had the Fund behind them, I suspect they would not have entered into the fray with Amaral

I think you are almost certainly correct jassi and I suppose one of the articles for the fund is to give them financial support so it would make sense to them to use it for this purpose as well as initially suing Goncalo Amaral.
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #4283 on: September 18, 2018, 04:26:03 PM »

Have we all forgotten about the money earned from Kate's Book?

Offline jassi

« Reply #4284 on: September 18, 2018, 04:48:41 PM »
Have we all forgotten about the money earned from Kate's Book?

Reputed to have gone into the Fund, so no longer her's

Or maybe not -

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #4285 on: September 18, 2018, 05:39:56 PM »
Reputed to have gone into the Fund, so no longer her's

True.  But Kate earned it, so has some right to decide what will happen to it, if they have to pay Amaral.

Portuguese Law remains largely a mystery to me, although I now know more about it than I ever wanted to.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4286 on: September 18, 2018, 05:47:51 PM »
I think you are almost certainly correct jassi and I suppose one of the articles for the fund is to give them financial support so it would make sense to them to use it for this purpose as well as initially suing Goncalo Amaral.

That clause was removed from the company's articles in December 2011.

It was the five members of the McCann family who sued Amaral et al. The three children's applications were unsuccessful; the judge of the first instance awarded damages only to the parents. All she awarded to the children was a share of the costs.

Any costs incurred after December 2011 are not legally the responsibility of Madeleine's Fund.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline jassi

« Reply #4287 on: September 18, 2018, 06:12:04 PM »
True.  But Kate earned it, so has some right to decide what will happen to it, if they have to pay Amaral.

Portuguese Law remains largely a mystery to me, although I now know more about it than I ever wanted to.

I fancy you might be getting carried away by tabloid nonesense in that what they need to pay are legal expenses, not damages.

Or maybe not -

Offline Sunny

« Reply #4288 on: September 18, 2018, 08:15:05 PM »

It was the five members of the McCann family who sued Amaral et al. The three children's applications were unsuccessful; the judge of the first instance awarded damages only to the parents. All she awarded to the children was a share of the costs.

Any costs incurred after December 2011 are not legally the responsibility of Madeleine's Fund.

No it is there. I thought it must be as I wasn't here in 2011.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4289 on: September 18, 2018, 09:07:27 PM »

I would say it depends on the date the action was started...any action started before that date is the responsibility of the fund