Author Topic: Should the McCanns search for Madeleine instead of wasting money on litigation?  (Read 15195 times)

Offline Erngath

What do you suggest the McCanns actually do then, in practical terms?

I would love to see an answer to this.
I remember asking the same question to sceptics on the old Sky forum and not one answer appeared.
So the McCanns fly to Portugal and go where to look for their daughter?
Search the streets of PDL, search empty properties which apparently one cannot do without the owners consent.
Or perhaps go elsewhere in Portugal?
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Mr Gray

Complaining about Portugal to the ECHR might not be the best way to go if they plan to appeal for help from the Portuguese people.

Allowing their employees to talk about the 'lawless villages' in the Algarve...ditto

They are not complaining against Portugal... It's the Portuguese  justice system

Offline Erngath

This is probably off topic,  but is it true the police didn't go door to door after Madeleine disappeared?

I do hope not.

Offline slartibartfast

They are not complaining against Portugal... It's the Portuguese  justice system

No, they have supposedly brought an action against Portugal.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Online Eleanor

Quite a lot of The Portuguese People aren't very keen on The Portuguese Justice System it would seem.

Offline G-Unit

Quite a lot of The Portuguese People aren't very keen on The Portuguese Justice System it would seem.

I didn't know that. Could you possibly point me to the source of the information please?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

No, they have supposedly brought an action against Portugal.

Semantics... Not against the Portuguese people but their justice system

Online Eleanor

I didn't know that. Could you possibly point me to the source of the information please?

You would have to read some of the comments from old newspaper articles in Portugal.

Offline Erngath

Does anyone have a suggestion of how Madeleine's parents could realistically search for Madeleine in Portugal?
Did anyone believe that by employing private detectives to look for her, they really were just pretending to look for her, with full knowledge that they had hidden her body?

Offline Venturi Swirl

Here’s 9000 of them not too keen on Portuguese justice... http://portugalresident.com/over-9000-call-for-an-end-to-“crimes-against-honour”
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

Here’s 9000 of them not too keen on Portuguese justice... http://portugalresident.com/over-9000-call-for-an-end-to-“crimes-against-honour”

Protesting about people being sent to prison for defamation, apparently. So 9,000 Portuguese citizens want more freedom of expression. Good for them.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Carana

In my opinion anyone with credible information who knew that it was credible would have come forward by now.

I used to think that, but I can see why some people wouldn't.

Anyone in an "awkward" situation (having an affair, for example), to various degrees of illegality (someone without valid papers); someone who'd commited a crime of some description); someone who'd personally done nothing wrong but just had a suspicion about a friend, family member, employer;  someone who was simply terrified of being stitched up by simply reporting a suspicion or evidence, or even didn't want their name leaked for other  personal or professional reasons with reporters doorsteppinng them and their names splashed on every tabloid.

Media leaks certainly can't have helped. Nor is the uncertainty of whether one could be prosecuted for an unrelated dismeanor that could have come out in the wash.

What would happen to someone who was, e.g., an unwittinng accomplice? How could they know whether they'd face prosecution or not?

A few years ago, a teenager died during a party at someone's house as a result of drugs. The other kids clammed up. The police publicly assured them that they wouldn't be prosecuted for having also taken illegal drugs, but simply wanted them to come forward with any information. I can't remember much more about the case, but I think that some of the teens did actually come forward in the end.

Offline G-Unit

I used to think that, but I can see why some people wouldn't.

Anyone in an "awkward" situation (having an affair, for example), to various degrees of illegality (someone without valid papers); someone who'd commited a crime of some description); someone who'd personally done nothing wrong but just had a suspicion about a friend, family member, employer;  someone who was simply terrified of being stitched up by simply reporting a suspicion or evidence, or even didn't want their name leaked for other  personal or professional reasons with reporters doorsteppinng them and their names splashed on every tabloid.

Media leaks certainly can't have helped. Nor is the uncertainty of whether one could be prosecuted for an unrelated dismeanor that could have come out in the wash.

What would happen to someone who was, e.g., an unwittinng accomplice? How could they know whether they'd face prosecution or not?

A few years ago, a teenager died during a party at someone's house as a result of drugs. The other kids clammed up. The police publicly assured them that they wouldn't be prosecuted for having also taken illegal drugs, but simply wanted them to come forward with any information. I can't remember much more about the case, but I think that some of the teens did actually come forward in the end.

I don't believe the McCanns would be able to give any such person the confidence to come forward. Everything they or their Private Investigators learned seemed to end up being  reported in the media.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Brietta

I don't believe the McCanns would be able to give any such person the confidence to come forward. Everything they or their Private Investigators learned seemed to end up being  reported in the media.

In my opinion the knowledge that statements given to the Portuguese police might one day end up publicised in the very public domain of the internet might act as a deterrent and prevent some coming forward with information.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Venturi Swirl

Protesting about people being sent to prison for defamation, apparently. So 9,000 Portuguese citizens want more freedom of expression. Good for them.
Ironic isn’t it, what a bunch of hypocritical twerps within the Portuguese judiciary.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly