Poll

Peer Reviewed Research suggests that Scent Dogs of all types have a maximunm combined accuracy of about 90%

I Understand and Accept this
3 (50%)
I believe Scent Dogs are more accurate than this
1 (16.7%)
I am not sure
1 (16.7%)
I don't believe Scent Dogs generally are that accurate
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: July 24, 2018, 11:14:43 AM

Author Topic: Poll - Scent Dogs Accuracy  (Read 236637 times)

Offline Eleanor

Re: Poll - Scent Dogs Accuracy
« Reply #435 on: May 12, 2018, 11:36:24 AM »
Tut,tut,still it got me looking back at the Saint of the village I was raised in. 8(0(*

I don't think there ever was a St. Neasden.  I shall have to Google it.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #436 on: June 19, 2018, 12:44:57 PM »
K9 that found missing California man, who was found dead in WNY, was on first career search

The cadaver K9 that found him is a German Shepard, Malinois mix. Her name is Leiche; she's with the Erie County Sheriff's Office. She came to the department with zero cadaver K9 training, less than a year ago.

Seven days a week, she trains with her handler, Erie County Sheriff's Deputy Bradley Girdler.

"Every day I do put out some hides for her to find," he said during an interview with News 4 at Chestnut Ridge Park.

Leiche looks for the smell of decomposition.

"She doesn't actually track anyone... she doesn't get a piece of clothing or anything from a specific individual, she would just go and detect that scent."

If she finds that scent, she sits.

"She doesn't know what she's finding, she just knows the scent she finds is ultimately going to give her a reward, which is hot dogs and a ball."

Back in May, Rudy Ray Rockett had been missing almost three weeks. Search crews scoured areas they thought he could've been, but all of them came back with no leads.

That all changed the night of May 19. This Erie County Sheriff's duo was called in, on their very first 'real' search.

"On the way to the search, I was nervous about how she would do, how she would react under real-world conditions," Girdler said.

They were called to an East Otto address.

"We went down there, it was dark."

They searched an open camping area, but Leiche didn't find anything there, so they expanded their search area.

The two, along with a Cattaragus County Sheriff's deputy, went down a hill, through a pine forest. Her nose led them through a clearing where there was a ravine with a creek running through it. Along that ravine, she sat.

"It's pitch black and my flashlight is on her," Deputy Girdler said. "So I'm walking through and I'm literally just shining my flashlight on her to watch her body language and movement, and then when she sat, I initially didn't realize why. But then as soon as I moved my flashlight across my feet, I realized she had in fact sat right next to Mr. Rockett."

Twenty days after he went missing, Mr. Rockett's family could finally get some closure.

Just seven months after starting on the job, Leiche had her very first find.

"I was absolutely proud of her," Deputy Girdler said. "Obviously it's a difficult situation, but for her, that's her job, so when she did her job correctly, I was obviously delighted with her."

http://www.wivb.com/news/local-news/k9-that-found-missing-california-man-who-was-found-dead-in-wny-was-on-first-career-search/1241859606
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #437 on: June 19, 2018, 01:16:21 PM »
K9 that found missing California man, who was found dead in WNY, was on first career search

The cadaver K9 that found him is a German Shepard, Malinois mix. Her name is Leiche; she's with the Erie County Sheriff's Office. She came to the department with zero cadaver K9 training, less than a year ago.

Seven days a week, she trains with her handler, Erie County Sheriff's Deputy Bradley Girdler.

"Every day I do put out some hides for her to find," he said during an interview with News 4 at Chestnut Ridge Park.

"She doesn't actually track anyone... she doesn't get a piece of clothing or anything from a specific individual, she would just go and detect that scent."

"She doesn't know what she's finding, she just knows the scent she finds is ultimately going to give her a reward, which is hot dogs and a ball."

Back in May, Rudy Ray Rockett had been missing almost three weeks. Search crews scoured areas they thought he could've been, but all of them came back with no leads.

That all changed the night of May 19. This Erie County Sheriff's duo was called in, on their very first 'real' search.

"On the way to the search, I was nervous about how she would do, how she would react under real-world conditions," Girdler said.

They searched an open camping area, but Leiche didn't find anything there, so they expanded their search area.

The two, along with a Cattaragus County Sheriff's deputy, went down a hill, through a pine forest. Her nose led them through a clearing where there was a ravine with a creek running through it. Along that ravine, she sat.

"It's pitch black and my flashlight is on her," Deputy Girdler said. "So I'm walking through and I'm literally just shining my flashlight on her to watch her body language and movement, and then when she sat, I initially didn't realize why. But then as soon as I moved my flashlight across my feet, I realized she had in fact sat right next to Mr. Rockett."

Twenty days after he went missing, Mr. Rockett's family could finally get some closure.

"I was absolutely proud of her," Deputy Girdler said. "Obviously it's a difficult situation, but for her, that's her job, so when she did her job correctly, I was obviously delighted with her."

http://www.wivb.com/news/local-news/k9-that-found-missing-california-man-who-was-found-dead-in-wny-was-on-first-career-search/1241859606

Uh Huh ... she performed exactly as she was trained to do and found a body.  What is your point?
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #438 on: June 19, 2018, 01:28:44 PM »

A very informative read, PathFinder.   *&(+(+

If a dog can be trained on hides, I need to stop giving our dog, Gonçalo, hide chews as an alternative to real bones.

And I need to include hot dogs in his reward scheme.   8((()*/

I wonder how far away Leiche was when she first smelled the body.
What's up, old man?

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #439 on: June 19, 2018, 07:52:41 PM »
Uh Huh ... she performed exactly as she was trained to do and found a body.  What is your point?

Don't underestimate a dog's nose and if Eddie had made false alerts he wouldn't have been on the McCann case - The Brits brought their best dogs to this case as SY well know! Now if you can name one case where Eddie has alerted and the missing person has turned up alive then I'm all ears ?
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #440 on: June 19, 2018, 07:58:44 PM »
A very informative read, PathFinder.   *&(+(+

If a dog can be trained on hides, I need to stop giving our dog, Gonçalo, hide chews as an alternative to real bones.

And I need to include hot dogs in his reward scheme.   8((()*/

I wonder how far away Leiche was when she first smelled the body.

Great name and I would train Goncalo up on the top of this hill.  8((()*/

Offline Brietta

« Reply #441 on: June 19, 2018, 09:42:00 PM »
Don't underestimate a dog's nose and if Eddie had made false alerts he wouldn't have been on the McCann case - The Brits brought their best dogs to this case as SY well know! Now if you can name one case where Eddie has alerted and the missing person has turned up alive then I'm all ears ?

I think 'false alerts' may be a misnomer.  The dog alerted to something but what that something was is not open to interpretation - forensics make that decision; in the hire car the forensics indicated it was cellular material on a key fob.

Unless you can provide a cite consisting of independently assessed training data your 'best dogs' claim is unsafe and merely a matter of your opinion.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #442 on: June 19, 2018, 10:04:53 PM »
It is simple. Eddie has alerted - If the missing person turns up alive and there's no other explanation he is wrong. Eddie was tested for court in the Parker case to prove his cadaver odour detecting skills - that was in a jail. Next you will be saying there would be no traces of blood in a jail  @)(++(* These dogs were exceptional and SY know it. 12 million and counting!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 10:10:17 PM by pathfinder73 »

Offline Brietta

« Reply #443 on: June 20, 2018, 02:21:01 AM »
It is simple. Eddie has alerted - If the missing person turns up alive and there's no other explanation he is wrong. Eddie was tested for court in the Parker case to prove his cadaver odour detecting skills - that was in a jail. Next you will be saying there would be no traces of blood in a jail  @)(++(* These dogs were exceptional and SY know it. 12 million and counting!

Blind faith in their ability just doesn't cut the mustard.
There are stringent procedures in place in American courts regarding training protocols for these dogs.  Rather like calibrating an instrument to ensure it is fit for purpose.

You have not provided a citation outlining Eddie's accredited training schedule and his performance in training.

Offline misty

« Reply #444 on: June 20, 2018, 02:29:09 AM »
If the translation is correct, Grime told the PJ in 2008 that Eddie was trained mainly on human cadaver odour? How could that be when working for SYP & furthermore, how was Eddie's ability to correctly alert to it tested by an ACPO dog trainer?

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/MARTIN_GRIMES_RIGATORY.htm

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #445 on: June 20, 2018, 09:13:50 AM »
Blind faith in their ability just doesn't cut the mustard.
There are stringent procedures in place in American courts regarding training protocols for these dogs.  Rather like calibrating an instrument to ensure it is fit for purpose.

You have not provided a citation outlining Eddie's accredited training schedule and his performance in training.

That’s a new one, Eddie was wrong because he didn’t have a piece of paper...
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline sadie

« Reply #446 on: June 20, 2018, 09:44:28 AM »
That’s a new one, Eddie was wrong because he didn’t have a piece of paper...
Seems that you are twisting Briettas words.

Cite please for where Brietta said that Eddie was wrong because he didn't have a piece of paper (certificate)

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #447 on: June 20, 2018, 09:53:17 AM »

Cite please for where Brietta said that Eddie was wrong because he didn't have a piece of paper (certificate)

So you don’t think that that is what she was trying to convey?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 04:50:38 PM by slartibartfast »
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline sadie

« Reply #448 on: June 20, 2018, 11:18:13 AM »
So you don’t think that that is what she was trying to convey?

Erm?   *%6^ 

Dunno what you mean.  Try again slarti

Offline sadie

« Reply #449 on: June 20, 2018, 11:21:16 AM »

Still waiting for that Cite please slarti