Author Topic: Why did Goncalo Amaral feel the need to write a book at all?  (Read 35496 times)

Offline Angelo222

For anyone who doesn't already know, Goncalo Amaral was the Portuguese police officer who originally took charge of the investigation to find out what happened to Madeleine McCann. At the time of the child's disappearance he ran the Portimão police office and was fresh from another missing child enquiry, that of little Joana Cipriano.

Amaral was Coordinator of the Maddie enquiry, it was his job to pursue various theories and collate all resources available to him.  The Portuguese police were joined in the investigation by a team of English police from Leicestershire Constabulary.  This collaboration was initially tolerated but soured when Amaral publicly criticised the foreign police.  This in turn led to his dismissal from the investigation, he was demoted and moved to other tasks. Soon after he took early retirement.

Later it was revealed that Amaral had begun writing a book about the Maddie investigation while still a serving police officer, the book being based on the police files.  He published the book after retiring but it was immediately banned in the UK.

Why did he feel the need to write a book at all?

A Verdade da Mentira by Goncalo Amaral

Foreword

Certainly, this book responds to the need  I felt to defend myself, having been discredited by the institution for which I worked for more than twenty-six years, without being given any chance to explain myself, publicly or within the institution itself.  I made the request several times, but it was never heard. I, therefore, scrupulously respected the rules of the police judiciaire and I refrained from making any comment. But this goes without saying: I experienced that silence to which I was constrained as an attack on my dignity. Later, I was removed from the investigation.  It was then that I understood that it was time to speak. To do that, I requested early retirement in order to be able to express myself freely. However, the purpose of this work is more important: to contribute to finding the truth so that justice can finally be done in the investigation known as the "Maddie case."

Truth and justice are two values strongly anchored within me, which reflect my profound beliefs: they always guided the work I did for the institution to which I am proud to have belonged. Even in retirement, they continue to inspire me and to be present in my life. In no way does this text seek to challenge the work of my colleagues in the police judiciaire or to compromise the ongoing investigation.  I am convinced that the disclosure of all the facts may, in the present case, result in harming the investigation. However, the reader will have access to unpublished information, to new interpretations of events - always with respect for the law - and, of course, to relevant enquiries. The only objective of a criminal investigation is the search for truth. There is no place for the "politically correct."

Goncalo Amaral

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 05:33:00 PM by John »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Why did Goncalo Amaral feel the need to write a book at all?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 02:32:04 PM »
For anyone who doesn't already know, Goncalo Amaral was the Portuguese police officer who originally took charge of the investigation to find out what happened to Madeleine McCann. At the time of the child's disappearance he ran the Portimão police office and was fresh from another missing child enquiry, that of little Joana Cipriano.

Amaral was Coordinator of the Maddie enquiry, it was his job to pursue various theories and collate all resources available to him.  The Portuguese police were joined in the investigation by a team of English police from Leicestershire Constabulary.  This collaboration was initially tolerated but soured when Amaral publicly criticised the foreign police.  This in turn led to his dismissal from the investigation, he was demoted and moved to other tasks. Soon after he took early retirement.

Later it was revealed that Amaral had begun writing a book about the Maddie investigation while still a serving police officer, the book being based on the police files.  He published the book after retiring but it was immediately banned in the UK.

Why did he feel the need to write a book at all?

interesting you confirm he was dismissed
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 02:34:52 PM by Angelo222 »

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 02:35:21 PM »
He tells us in his book why he felt he needed to write it doesn't he?  All about restoring his honour and that.  Not that he's remotely defensive or anything. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 02:35:44 PM »
interesting you confirm he was dismissed

From the investigation...yes.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 02:40:13 PM »
From the investigation...yes.
I agree

Offline John

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 03:01:47 PM »
I added the intro from the book to the opening post.

It is interesting that Gonçalo confirmed that not all the facts have been revealed as it would harm the investigation, I bet there is loads of stuff he could reveal which would harm more than the investigation.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 03:20:31 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 03:27:31 PM »
This is interesting...
quote I am convinced that the disclosure of all the facts may, in the present case, result in harming the investigation. However, the reader will have access to unpublished information, to new interpretations of events - always with respect for the law - and, of course, to relevant enquiries. The only objective of a criminal investigation is the search for truth.unquote

He has more facts than have been disclosed/published - I knew it!
 He says new INTERPRETATIONS of events- could this be a work in progress
 Investigating to find the truth- who knows the truth? the parents do. it is on their head if the investigation is affected by their behaviour/ engagement.

Seems like an OK reason to me. He could have called it. 'Madeleine Beth McCann investigation- cute wee pic  to gain interest.

I must confess I didn't buy  it or read it. I do support his right to write it though.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 03:30:45 PM »

It is interesting that Gonçalo confirmed that not all the facts have been revealed as it would harm the investigation, I bet there is loads of stuff he could reveal which would harm more than the investigation.

I doubt it...perrhaps he is referring to MI5......there are many things in his book that are just plain wrong...I would be much more interested in a chat with redwood
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 03:35:09 PM by Davel »

Offline Carana

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 04:03:01 PM »

Obviouly. The files that the UK shared informally in confidence.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 05:41:56 PM »
I doubt it...perrhaps he is referring to MI5......there are many things in his book that are just plain wrong...I would be much more interested in a chat with redwood
Keep on topic rather than your bandwagon please.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 05:45:48 PM »
To make money.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 06:42:34 PM »
The intro to his book alleges that he tried to get the Portuguese police to acknowledge and respond to his concerns about the case. In my opinion Amaral wasn't left with much option other than to write a book. He claims political expediency ruled the day rather than a genuine need to find the truth.

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 06:44:59 PM »
Keep on topic rather than your bandwagon please.

my post is on topic...it needs to be read in context with the post from john I was answering....your post is verging on goading...John talks about more facts to be revealed...my point is many facts in the book just are not true

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 06:47:08 PM »
The intro to his book alleges that he tried to get the Portuguese police to acknowledge and respond to his concerns about the case. In my opinion Amaral wasn't left with much option other than to write a book. He claims political expediency ruled the day rather than a genuine need to find the truth.

My opinion is that the reason the portuguese police did not respond to his concerns was that they were not supported by evidence

Offline Erngath

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 06:54:30 PM »
I believe he wrote the book to earn money.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.