Author Topic: The Catholic priest in PdL says he was deceived?  (Read 17864 times)

Offline Angelo222

The Catholic priest in PdL says he was deceived?
« on: August 25, 2013, 10:35:11 PM »
Not hyper religious, I agree, but Kate had a close relationship with her priest,  Was he from Liverpool?   I forget.

Remember what happened with the priest in PdL whom Kate was alleged to have confessed to and who conveniently disappeared the second they were made arguidos.  Hmm...

Father Pacheco, runs two churches and teaches at three local schools, yesterday broke his silence.

According to the Daily Express, he admitted he had become too close to the couple, still official suspects in the disappearance of their daughter.

"I was deceived," he said.

"I was just doing my job supporting lost souls. I would do that with any family who were in their situation. I didn't do anything wrong.

Father Pacheco, 46, said he had felt compelled to help Kate and Gerry because of their "inconsolable grief".

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-488262/I-deceived-says-Portuguese-priest-comforted-Gerry-Kate-McCann.html

« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 06:14:22 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Matthew Wyse

Re: The Catholic priest in PdL says he was deceived?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 06:17:41 PM »
I wasnt aware that this happened but then again I wasnt in the habit of buying newspapers then any more than I do now.   It doesnt look very good though with the priest having to leave his church and after handing his keys over to the Mccanns to.

Why did he think he was deceived did he not believe them in the end?
Most people suspect the truth but few are able to admit it.

Rachel Granada

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 06:19:37 PM »
The Daily Express.

Didn't they have to give Kate and Gerry McCann £550K for their lies?

Is this statement from Fr Pacheco in the PJ files? I think not.

Offline nugnug

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 06:20:13 PM »
I wasnt aware that this happened but then again I wasnt in the habit of buying newspapers then any more than I do now.   It doesnt look very good though with the priest having to leave his church and after handing his keys over to the Mccanns to.

Why did he think he was deceived did he not believe them in the end?

well he seemd to have more faith in the police than he did in the parents.

stephen25000

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 06:20:42 PM »
Remember what happened with the priest in PdL whom Kate was alleged to have confessed to and who conveniently disappeared the second they were made arguidos.  Hmm...

Father Pacheco, runs two churches and teaches at three local schools, yesterday broke his silence.

According to the Daily Express, he admitted he had become too close to the couple, still official suspects in the disappearance of their daughter.

"I was deceived," he said.

"I was just doing my job supporting lost souls. I would do that with any family who were in their situation. I didn't do anything wrong.

Father Pacheco, 46, said he had felt compelled to help Kate and Gerry because of their "inconsolable grief".

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-488262/I-deceived-says-Portuguese-priest-comforted-Gerry-Kate-McCann.html

Thanks for that Angelo.

I remember reading about him at the time.

The Mccanns used him, when they 'discovered' religion.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 06:26:15 PM »
It would be interesting to know if Father Pacheco is relataed to the GNR officer Nelson Filipe Pacheco da Costa who first attended the scene?  Could it be his nephew??
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Matthew Wyse

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 06:31:22 PM »
http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/FATHER_PACHECO.htm

His police statement is very short for someone who had so much personal involvement with them and saw fit to hand over the keys of the church.  He says in this statement that  "He does not remember the date upon which the key was returned."   Not surprising as according to the Express report he never did say goodbye as the keys were handed over to another clergyman.

Sounds like a case of damage limitation to me.

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 06:31:54 PM »
Here we go again!

13- Processo Vol XIII 3924 to 3926

Father Pachecos Statement to the PJ 30th October 2007

Jose Manuel Conceicao Pacheco

The first time he had contact with the McCann's was on 5th May at about 19.00. This was a personal contact with them in the Ocean Club at their apartment, but not the apartment Madeleine disappeared from. They were accompanied by members of the holiday group.

This was an important meeting for the McCann's and which had not been possible to the fact that they were busy. He knows that on the fateful night the McCann's requested the presence of a priest, but he was only informed the following morning.

On the 5th, the theme they talked about was the disappearance and he gave all possible spiritual comfort and they prayed together. They also agreed that the couple would go to the church the following day to attend a mass.

He also prayed with the McCann's on the 6th and 8th May in their apartment.

He gave them the key to the church on the 7th or 8th May upon the suggestion of John Geraghty, a resident of the parish, so that they could calmly go to the church without any media pressure. Someone from the church gave the key to John Geraghty, who then passed it on to the McCann's, with Father Pacheco's permission.

He does not remember the date upon which the key was returned.

Other contact with the McCann's took place at the end of mass when he would comfort them.

He would also meet with the McCann's after they returned from their trips and remembered they were animated when they returned from Morocco as they thought they would Madeleine there. He also comforted Kate when the news of a child buried in Arau broke, as she revealed great nervousness and anxiety, thinking that the child had died.

When questioned, he said he never heard their confessions, perhaps because they only spoke English.

He never talked to them alone.

He states that they showed great suffering to the loss of their daughter.

He adds that a parish bulletin was published giving spiritual, moral and human support to the couple and to other missing children.

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/P13/13_VOLUME_XIIIa_Page_3924.jpg
Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 06:34:06 PM »
Here we go again!

13- Processo Vol XIII 3924 to 3926

Father Pachecos Statement to the PJ 30th October 2007

Jose Manuel Conceicao Pacheco

The first time he had contact with the McCann's was on 5th May at about 19.00. This was a personal contact with them in the Ocean Club at their apartment, but not the apartment Madeleine disappeared from. They were accompanied by members of the holiday group.

This was an important meeting for the McCann's and which had not been possible to the fact that they were busy. He knows that on the fateful night the McCann's requested the presence of a priest, but he was only informed the following morning.

On the 5th, the theme they talked about was the disappearance and he gave all possible spiritual comfort and they prayed together. They also agreed that the couple would go to the church the following day to attend a mass.

He also prayed with the McCann's on the 6th and 8th May in their apartment.

He gave them the key to the church on the 7th or 8th May upon the suggestion of John Geraghty, a resident of the parish, so that they could calmly go to the church without any media pressure. Someone from the church gave the key to John Geraghty, who then passed it on to the McCann's, with Father Pacheco's permission.

He does not remember the date upon which the key was returned.

Other contact with the McCann's took place at the end of mass when he would comfort them.

He would also meet with the McCann's after they returned from their trips and remembered they were animated when they returned from Morocco as they thought they would Madeleine there. He also comforted Kate when the news of a child buried in Arau broke, as she revealed great nervousness and anxiety, thinking that the child had died.

When questioned, he said he never heard their confessions, perhaps because they only spoke English.

He never talked to them alone.

He states that they showed great suffering to the loss of their daughter.

He adds that a parish bulletin was published giving spiritual, moral and human support to the couple and to other missing children.

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/P13/13_VOLUME_XIIIa_Page_3924.jpg

Too slow DCI   @)(++(*      Matt beat you to the draw!!    8@??)(

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Matthew Wyse

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 06:37:20 PM »
The Daily Express.

Didn't they have to give Kate and Gerry McCann £550K for their lies?

Is this statement from Fr Pacheco in the PJ files? I think not.

It's not the first time someone had to repay money won in a libel suit.  Just look at cycling cheat Lance Armstrong and the money he took from the London Times. 

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/501277/20130825/lance-armstrong-sunday-times-settle-doping.htm

AnneGuedes

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 06:44:46 PM »
http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/FATHER_PACHECO.htm

His police statement is very short for someone who had so much personal involvement with them and saw fit to hand over the keys of the church.  He says in this statement that  "He does not remember the date upon which the key was returned."   Not surprising as according to the Express report he never did say goodbye as the keys were handed over to another clergyman.

Sounds like a case of damage limitation to me.
He wasn't the one who gave the key, a member of the pastoral council did. The hierarchy wasn't happy with this and he might have been blamed for that, I don't think people are given the church key except for cleaning.

ferryman

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 06:56:26 PM »
Sounds as if The Express got hold of some PJ leaks!

Isn't this one of the papers the McCanns sued?

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 06:57:46 PM »
The church in our village is never locked. 

Rachel Granada

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 07:27:59 PM »
It's not the first time someone had to repay money won in a libel suit.  Just look at cycling cheat Lance Armstrong and the money he took from the London Times. 

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/501277/20130825/lance-armstrong-sunday-times-settle-doping.htm

Where does it say in Fr Pacheco's statement, reproduced in this thread, that he was deceived?

The Express were lucky to get away with an out of court settlement for £550K.  Had Kate and Gerry McCann really gone for the jugular and taken it to court, they would have been paying ten times the sum they had to cough up.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:29:58 PM by Rachel Granada »

stephen25000

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 07:56:15 AM »

Where does it say in Fr Pacheco's statement, reproduced in this thread, that he was deceived?

The Express were lucky to get away with an out of court settlement for £550K.  Had Kate and Gerry McCann really gone for the jugular and taken it to court, they would have been paying ten times the sum they had to cough up.

In your dreams perhaps, not in reality.