Author Topic: Was Dr Amaral fluent in English or not?  (Read 8665 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Was Dr Amaral fluent in English or not?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 11:32:46 AM »
No, Carana, it had nothing to do with misunderstanding, it is an instance of what happens when people are narrow minded, unfortunately.

The BBC (as do most media) bleep out offensive terms. "When in doubt, cut it out".

The fact that it was bleeped out, led people to make assumptions that he had indeed said something rude. In this instance, in all fairness, I doubt that he did.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 11:33:08 AM »
No, Carana, it had nothing to do with misunderstanding, it is an instance of what happens when people are narrow minded, unfortunately.

Absolutely Anne. Martin Brunt was also there and he, through his interpretations, knew exactly what Amaral had said. I can't believe the BBC couldn't run to a interpreter for O'Sullivan.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 11:33:55 AM »
The BBC (as do most media) bleep out offensive terms. "When in doubt, cut it out".

The fact that it was bleeped out, led people to make assumptions that he had indeed said something rude. In this instance, in all fairness, I doubt that he did.

You doubt ? Are you still not certain ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

AnneGuedes

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »
That "doubt" sadly makes me feel the weight of a certain xenophobia hidden behind condescension.

ferryman

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 11:43:54 AM »
In the scheme of things, and in the light of what Amaral is proven beyond all doubt to have falsely accused the McCanns of, I don't, personally, give a flying fig ...

ferryman

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2013, 11:51:50 AM »
That "doubt" sadly makes me feel the weight of a certain xenophobia hidden behind condescension.

Xenophobia is fear or irrational hatred of foreigners, perhaps displayed by Dr Amaral in his act (he tells us in his book) of having UK police put under surveillance as soon as they arrived in Portugal.

Scorn and contempt for Amaral is based in reasons wholly incidental to his nationality.

I have contempt for Amaral and he is Portuguese.

I have disdain  for Grime and he his British.

PJ Inspector Dias was, for my money, the outstanding policeman in the Madeleine investigation (at least of those whose reports we read; I reserve judgment on those whose reports we don't)

And Dias is Portuguese

Offline Chinagirl

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2013, 12:23:58 PM »
Well said, Ferryman.
 8@??)(
A

Offline Carana

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2013, 12:54:07 PM »

It's hard to be certain as it was... bleeped out. I therefore have not heard it first hand.

I have no problem with the idea that what he was alleged to have said may be a misunderstanding.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2013, 01:04:21 PM »
It's hard to be certain as it was... bleeped out. I therefore have not heard it first hand.

I have no problem with the idea that what he was alleged to have said may be a misunderstanding.

May be ? Even though Martin Brunt, who was there at the time, denies Amaral said any such thing ?

You have no first hand knowledge of what Kate wrote in her book but believe it implicitly, yet when faced with something that besmirches Amaral's character, even when faced with direct evidence to the contrary, you find it hard to be so categorical, why is that ?

stephen25000

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2013, 01:06:47 PM »
Xenophobia is fear or irrational hatred of foreigners, perhaps displayed by Dr Amaral in his act (he tells us in his book) of having UK police put under surveillance as soon as they arrived in Portugal.

Scorn and contempt for Amaral is based in reasons wholly incidental to his nationality.

I have contempt for Amaral and he is Portuguese.

I have disdain  for Grime and he his British.

PJ Inspector Dias was, for my money, the outstanding policeman in the Madeleine investigation (at least of those whose reports we read; I reserve judgment on those whose reports we don't)

And Dias is Portuguese

IRRATIONALITY personified.

Offline Carana

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2013, 01:17:01 PM »

Could you explain how what I'd said led you to that conclusion?

Offline Benice

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2013, 02:07:40 PM »
May be ? Even though Martin Brunt, who was there at the time, denies Amaral said any such thing ?

You have no first hand knowledge of what Kate wrote in her book but believe it implicitly, yet when faced with something that besmirches Amaral's character, even when faced with direct evidence to the contrary, you find it hard to be so categorical, why is that ?

None of which makes any difference to the fact that Amaral understood the question - which was asked in English.
The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2013, 02:18:46 PM »
None of which makes any difference to the fact that Amaral understood the question - which was asked in English.

Or it coud simply have been a stock answer to anything asked by the English media. Seems Amaral saw no need to engage with the reporters, and justify his position, as the McCanns did.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 02:24:28 PM by Faithlilly »

Offline Carana

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »
Or it coud simply have been a stock answer to anything asked by the English media. Seems Amaral saw no need to engage with the reporters, and justify his position, as the McCanns did.

He'd been justifying his position for years... and for some time afterwards.

Offline Benice

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2013, 02:40:48 PM »

Sorry Faith that doesn't wash with me.   IIRC he wasn't standing giving an interview - he was walking past.   He didn't need to give any reply at all -  but he chose to  - and his reply proved that he understood the question -  which was asked in English.       
The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal