Author Topic: Was Dr Amaral fluent in English or not?  (Read 8666 times)

Offline faithlilly

Re: Was Dr Amaral fluent in English or not?
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2013, 02:55:32 PM »
Sorry Faith that doesn't wash with me.   IIRC he wasn't standing giving an interview - he was walking past.   He didn't need to give any reply at all -  but he chose to  - and his reply proved that he understood the question -  which was asked in English.       

I don't really care if it washes with you Benice. The fact remains 1) Amaral did not use any kind of profanity and 2) Directing any question aimed at him towards the McCanns does not mean he understood that a particular question.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Benice

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2013, 03:17:59 PM »
I don't really care if it washes with you Benice. The fact remains 1) Amaral did not use any kind of profanity and 2) Directing any question aimed at him towards the McCanns does not mean he understood that a particular question.

1) I don't believe he said 'F=ck the McCanns' - it just sounded as if he had.  Having been asked the question in English I think it was simply presumed at the time that his reply was also in English.
and

(2) I don't believe anyone would answer ANY question asked of them in public -  if they had no idea what the question was because they didn't understand the language it was asked in.     That would be a very silly thing to do.   

However IMO the nature of his reply -  albeit in Portuguese - showed that he had actually understood the question perfectly.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimăo. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2013, 03:34:03 PM »
So when he was going to come over here for a conference in 2009, the one Bennett arranged, that never happened was he going to speak in Portuguese? I could just see the rush with his fans going to learn the language.
Hasn't Bennett spoken to him by phone too? and what about Grenville and his son, when they gave him his fridge magnet, in Portugal?
Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/

stephen25000

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2013, 03:43:31 PM »
So when he was going to come over here for a conference in 2009, the one Bennett arranged, that never happened was he going to speak in Portuguese? I could just see the rush with his fans going to learn the language.
Hasn't Bennett spoken to him by phone too? and what about Grenville and his son, when they gave him his fridge magnet, in Portugal?

What is this thing about 'fans'  ?

He was on the investigation for a short time, before being removed.

Meanwhile, how long have you giving 'fan' support to the Mccanns ???

Offline DCI

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2013, 03:52:36 PM »
What is this thing about 'fans'  ?

He was on the investigation for a short time, before being removed.

Meanwhile, how long have you giving 'fan' support to the Mccanns ???

Would you prefer his supporter/audience?

Being on the investigation for a short time, before being removed, wasn't stopping him coming over here, to be the keynote speaker at a conference regarding her disappearance.

I've been a supporter of the McCann's for 6 years and 4 months, to be exact!

stephen25000

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2013, 04:07:11 PM »

Being on the investigation for a short time, before being removed, wasn't stopping him coming over here, to be the keynote speaker at a conference regarding her disappearance.

So you're a 'fan' then ? 8((()*/

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2013, 04:14:41 PM »

Oh you're a little more than that DCI  8(0(*
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2013, 04:17:17 PM »
1) I don't believe he said 'F=ck the McCanns' - it just sounded as if he had.  Having been asked the question in English I think it was simply presumed at the time that his reply was also in English.
and

(2) I don't believe anyone would answer ANY question asked of them in public -  if they had no idea what the question was because they didn't understand the language it was asked in.     That would be a very silly thing to do.   

However IMO the nature of his reply -  albeit in Portuguese - showed that he had actually understood the question perfectly.

Then it's only your opinion Benice and simply one amongst many.

Offline DCI

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2013, 04:22:45 PM »
Oh you're a little more than that DCI  8(0(*

Yes I must be Jane  @)(++(* @)(++(*

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2013, 04:34:26 PM »
Yes I must be Jane  @)(++(* @)(++(*

Must you ? Nah, far to manipulative for Jane.

Rachel Granada

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2013, 06:41:12 PM »

Ooh I'd forgotten about fridge magnet night - thanks for the chuckle!  Not so funny however, was Green using his Downs Syndrome son to gain sympathy and publicity.

Sorry, back on topic... yes, the question of the conference that Amaral was invited to.  He didn't show of course, but I can't see Bennett paying for an interpreter.

FWIW, I do believe that Amaral was mis-quoted, and did not say "F** the McCanns". However, to echo other posters it does rather give the game away that he understands a lot more English than he is letting on, IMO.

Redblossom

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2013, 06:44:51 PM »
This reporter is so obviously lying or hard of hearing along with his colleagues...oh well BBC East Midlands would be biased, wouldnt it? Nice try but his peurile stunt backfired in the end.
 @)(++(*

Just listen to the brass neck passing it off as a fact. LooooL

http://joana-morais.blogspot.com/2011/06/mccann-case-complaint-against-biased.html

What was HIS problem? No interpreters? What was the point of asking english colleagues?

Brunt used them to ask what was said, no problem there.....

>>>>>

Martin Brunt, from Sky News who was in Lisbon covering the book banning trial was the only reporter who tried to set the record straight, he wrote the following in his Sky News blog on January 15, 2010:

Life of Crime - My New Best Friend

Spare a thought for my new best friend Goncalo Amaral.

I’m beginning to think the former detective in the Madeleine McCann case has a point when he complains about the British media attacking him.

My Beeb colleague accused him of saying “F*** the McCanns” in an alleged off-guard moment when we all followed him out of court the other day.

What he actually said was “Fala com McCanns” which means “Ask the McCanns”.

The rest of us, through our interpreters, understood perfectly what he was saying.

I think he needs a good libel lawyer.

Isabel Duarte may be free when she has finished pursuing him over his book on the Madeleine case.

<<<<<

So, any proof Mr Amaral understands or speaks English yet? And if he does why it matters?

>@@(*&)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 06:50:58 PM by Redblossom »

stephen25000

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2013, 07:01:06 PM »
This reporter is so obviously lying or hard of hearing along with his colleagues...oh well BBC East Midlands would be biased, wouldnt it? Nice try but his peurile stunt backfired in the end.
 @)(++(*

Just listen to the brass neck passing it off as a fact. LooooL

http://joana-morais.blogspot.com/2011/06/mccann-case-complaint-against-biased.html

What was HIS problem? No interpreters? What was the point of asking english colleagues?

Brunt used them to ask what was said, no problem there.....

>>>>>

Martin Brunt, from Sky News who was in Lisbon covering the book banning trial was the only reporter who tried to set the record straight, he wrote the following in his Sky News blog on January 15, 2010:

Life of Crime - My New Best Friend

Spare a thought for my new best friend Goncalo Amaral.

I’m beginning to think the former detective in the Madeleine McCann case has a point when he complains about the British media attacking him.

My Beeb colleague accused him of saying “F*** the McCanns” in an alleged off-guard moment when we all followed him out of court the other day.

What he actually said was “Fala com McCanns” which means “Ask the McCanns”.

The rest of us, through our interpreters, understood perfectly what he was saying.

I think he needs a good libel lawyer.

Isabel Duarte may be free when she has finished pursuing him over his book on the Madeleine case.

<<<<<

So, any proof Mr Amaral understands or speaks English yet? And if he does why it matters?

>@@(*&)

Thank you for that Red Blossom.

Unfortunately, it will fall on death ears with some of the Mccann supporters.

Redblossom

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2013, 07:04:04 PM »
Youre welcome Stephen, always good to get facts straight, something any self respecting journalist should always aspire to

@)(++(*

stephen25000

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2013, 07:08:21 PM »
Youre welcome Stephen, always good to get facts straight, something any self respecting journalist should always aspire to

@)(++(*

Perhaps that's a lesson her husband should have learned, as he was arrested I believe in the 'hackgate conspiracy'.  8)-)))