Author Topic: Was Dr Amaral fluent in English or not?  (Read 8664 times)

AnneGuedes

Re: Was Dr Amaral fluent in English or not?
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2013, 11:05:06 AM »
But it sounded like 'No' Anne.  That is the point.
The point is that "ão" doesn't sound at all like "o". The nasalisation of the vowel "a" makes all the difference, you don't hear any "o".

Offline Carana

« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2013, 01:42:17 PM »
The point is that "ão" doesn't sound at all like "o". The nasalisation of the vowel "a" makes all the difference, you don't hear any "o".

It might sound more like "now". I'm not sure that that would seriously influence any English speaker's (apparently mistaken) interpretation of what came next.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2013, 02:09:31 PM »
It might sound more like "now". I'm not sure that that would seriously influence any English speaker's (apparently mistaken) interpretation of what came next.
Sorry but it doesn't sound like "now". Try to say "now" meaning "no" to a Portuguese and see the result !
You have difficulty to produce/hear nasalisation since it doesn't exist in English but it exists in other languages, not only in Portuguese.

"Apparently" mistaken !  Amazing indulgence for an incompetent (in the best case) reporter.

Offline Carana

« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2013, 02:52:44 PM »
Sorry but it doesn't sound like "now". Try to say "now" meaning "no" to a Portuguese and see the result !
You have difficulty to produce/hear nasalisation since it doesn't exist in English but it exists in other languages, not only in Portuguese.

"Apparently" mistaken !  Amazing indulgence for an incompetent (in the best case) reporter.

Possibly as comprehensible as wondering if turn-ups referred to a winter vegetable...

Redblossom

« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2013, 04:58:08 PM »
Possibly as comprehensible as wondering if turn-ups referred to a winter vegetable...

Ridiculous analogy.
 @)(++(*

Mike O Sullivan had the taped and recorded event, he should have kept his mouth shut or asked an interpretor for the facts. Other journalists had no problem in doing so and getting the facts right

But a bit of disingenuous sensationalist tosh is always good for alot of the Brit news stories. Still, he cant beat Turnip Tony Parsons on that score ever, and after having his knuckles rapped over the incident doubt he would want to try it on again if he valued his job
 @)(++(*

Lets  face it the only person in this story that has sworn by their own admission is kate mccann saying  f****** to******* repeatedly to one of the PJ, albeit under her breath, gave her strength apparently

Offline Benice

« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2013, 05:52:49 PM »

'No' may be a very small word Anne,  but there are different ways of pronouncing it in English - depending on regional accents.    And to an English person like me who does not know the Portuguese for 'no' -  I can assure you that on first hearing it  - it certainly sounded like 'NO' to me.       
The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

AnneGuedes

« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2013, 08:19:21 PM »
'No' may be a very small word Anne,  but there are different ways of pronouncing it in English - depending on regional accents.    And to an English person like me who does not know the Portuguese for 'no' -  I can assure you that on first hearing it  - it certainly sounded like 'NO' to me.       
But you're hearing a very bad sound track, Benice, it doesn't sound "no" in reality, believe me or not, it sounds like a refusal, as GA's moving forward says it as well, but it doesn't sound like a "no" badly pronounced. I'll tell you more : the main reason why some Portuguese don't speak English is that either they speak it very well or they don't. I don't mind my accent in English, I don't mind my accent in Portuguese (as long as people don't find out I'm French), but people here are prouder (on that matter) than I am (because my country never was submissive I suppose).